General Election 2019 (UK)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
sionascaig

superfrank wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:59 pm
Epic night. I enjoyed every minute. Nice markets too.

No sympathy for the losers I'm afraid. A good summary by Andrew Lilico:
The battle to prevent Brexit is over. It failed. It was the most scandalous, anti-democratic, reactionary movement since the opposition to the Great Reform Bill of the 1830s.

It trampled on our constitutional traditions. It broke the Conservative Party into pieces. It left over 17 million people with the Establishment openly declaring them mentally and morally deficient, incapable and unworthy of making democratic decisions. It was a disgrace and shamed Britain before the world.

Also defeated is the movement to neuter Brexit, by keeping us in the EU’s customs union and having us follow the EU’s laws and trade policy. That project of Theresa May, Philip Hammond, many civil servants and much of the Labour front bench, is bankrupt.

When we leave, we will truly leave the EU’s legal jurisdiction. We will make our own laws, our own new trade deals, our own new geopolitical partnerships.

The movement to keep us in the EU will doubtless hobble on, reinventing itself as a re-join movement. But it will be as irrelevant as the Jacobites after 1746. History has overtaken it.
Did they not spot what happened in Scotland. Probably not as they have no interest in it whatsoever...
Archery1969

sionascaig wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:35 pm
superfrank wrote:

The battle to prevent Brexit is over. It failed. It was the most scandalous, anti-democratic, reactionary movement since the opposition to the Great Reform Bill of the 1830s.

It trampled on our constitutional traditions. It broke the Conservative Party into pieces. It left over 17 million people with the Establishment openly declaring them mentally and morally deficient, incapable and unworthy of making democratic decisions. It was a disgrace and shamed Britain before the world.

Also defeated is the movement to neuter Brexit, by keeping us in the EU’s customs union and having us follow the EU’s laws and trade policy. That project of Theresa May, Philip Hammond, many civil servants and much of the Labour front bench, is bankrupt.

When we leave, we will truly leave the EU’s legal jurisdiction. We will make our own laws, our own new trade deals, our own new geopolitical partnerships.

The movement to keep us in the EU will doubtless hobble on, reinventing itself as a re-join movement. But it will be as irrelevant as the Jacobites after 1746. History has overtaken it.
Did they not spot what happened in Scotland. Probably not as they have no interest in it whatsoever...
They not interested and Scotland can’t have a vote to leave without Westminster approval first.
Naffman

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:51 pm
sionascaig wrote:
superfrank wrote:

They not interested and Scotland can’t have a vote to leave without Westminster approval first.
Scotland going to keep having a vote till they get it right?
sionascaig

Naffman wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:02 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:51 pm
sionascaig wrote:

Scotland going to keep having a vote till they get it right?
==> Think it will just be a matter of time.... I'd hope you would respect "the will of the people" & the extremely clear message they delivered to westminster or is it just a one way thing.

==> Didn't the "remain" parties capture a larger share of the vote than the leave parties... may have misheard that on the news?
Jukebox

sionascaig wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm
==> Didn't the "remain" parties capture a larger share of the vote than the leave parties... may have misheard that on the news?
Are you counting the Labour voters as all remainers? - the Labour manifesto pledge was to negotiate a deal and put it to the electorate - you have to allow that at least some Labour leave voters hoped they would be good to their word.
superfrank

sionascaig wrote:
==> Think it will just be a matter of time.... I'd hope you would respect "the will of the people" & the extremely clear message they delivered to westminster or is it just a one way thing.

A pro-Brexit party won the UK election decisively. The rest is irrelevant.
Scotland voted to stay in the union (in a "once in a generation" vote) so the result applies to you just as much as it does to the English.
Have a good weekend everyone.
sionascaig

Jukebox wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:49 pm
sionascaig wrote:
Are you counting the Labour voters as all remainers? - the Labour manifesto pledge was to negotiate a deal and put it to the electorate - you have to allow that at least some Labour leave voters hoped they would be good to their word.
Its was a news item I kind of only half heard... But yes it sounds like labour = remain for that purpose... Not convinced that is a great stat!
sionascaig

superfrank wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:59 pm
sionascaig wrote:

Scotland voted to stay in the union (in a "once in a generation" vote) so the result applies to you just as much as it does to the English.
If it was just "me" there wouldn't be an issue... Anyhow's nothing for you to worry your pretty little head over. I'm sure it will all turn out fine in the end...
Derek27

superfrank wrote:
No sympathy for the losers I'm afraid.
No one's asking for you sympathy, thanks.
Archery1969

Everyone knew this was another Brexit vote and the answer given was the largest majority since 1987.

Under first pass the post system, the Electorate have spoken, again.

Time to move on and forward, although I am not sure where Labour go from here. Toxic.
Naffman

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:38 pm
Everyone knew this was another Brexit vote and the answer given was the largest majority since 1987.

Time to move on and forward, although I am not sure where Labour go from here. Toxic.
Looking at the next labour leader odds it looks like Labour are going down the same route 8-)
Archery1969

Naffman wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:42 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Looking at the next labour leader odds it looks like Labour are going down the same route 8-)
Then that will be their own fault again. They got rid of David Miliband who was middle of the road. So, a complete fcuk up, again.
Crazyskier

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well said. Hear hear.

CS
Euler

Note sure Labour have learnt much from this defeat. The party line is that Brexit lost them the election, it's so obvious there were so many factors on top of that. It's going to be a long road back.
jamesg46

I knew it wouldn't take long for this kind of line...

Awaiting

#RussianCollusion
#TaxReturns
#ImpeachBorris
#whatever else you can dream up

We just have to go back and check the last 3 and half years of American leftist tweets to predict what is coming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”