US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Trader Pat

Emmson wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:20 pm
Low-energy & gaffe prone Joe is comfortably ahead
Doesn't say much for the other bloke! :lol:
Derek27

Microphones will be muted in the next debate. :D I presume that's only when the candidate misbehaves.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:36 am
Microphones will be muted in the next debate. :D I presume that's only when the candidate misbehaves.
No ... it's when the producer doesn't agree with what the guy is saying!
jamesedwards

The market has just passed the £150m matched milestone.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:24 am
Derek27 wrote:
It would be a good idea if they just cut them off after they've had the two minutes. Us traders have a ticking clock in front of us when placing last-minute trades, know and face consequences if we fail to close on time. The candidates must have clocks in front of them but both sides of all debates always push it and try to get a few words in.

Biden just needs to be cool and let Trump make an arse of himself. In fact, it's almost like me and Luke. I just need to stay calm, absorb the insults and stick to the facts. :)
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:57 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
It would be a good idea if they just cut them off after they've had the two minutes. Us traders have a ticking clock in front of us when placing last-minute trades, know and face consequences if we fail to close on time. The candidates must have clocks in front of them but both sides of all debates always push it and try to get a few words in.

Biden just needs to be cool and let Trump make an arse of himself. In fact, it's almost like me and Luke. I just need to stay calm, absorb the insults and stick to the facts. :)
I don't think it'll have too much effect given there'll be very few people still on the fence.

Trump's downfall is he will look a tosser shouting with nothing coming out but Biden will actually have to talk for 2 minutes this time.
wearthefoxhat

Naffman wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:57 am
firlandsfarm wrote:

I don't think it'll have too much effect given there'll be very few people still on the fence.

Trump's downfall is he will look a tosser shouting with nothing coming out but Biden will actually have to talk for 2 minutes this time.
In some poker tournaments they have a shot-clock to ensure the player speeds up their play, maybe they could use one. In this case the candidate that exceeds 2 minutes runs the risk of being shot....or have I missed something...
Derek27

Chess clocks have worked perfectly for the last century. You would think by now a debate could be organised fairly. What irritates me is that the moderator never has control of the debate and just gets shouted over by Trump.
LeTiss

Quite interesting that you can still get 1.08 on Trump NOT leaving before the end of his 1st term

I'm assuming some are forming an opinion that he may walk before the election, if a victory looks impossible?
marksmeets302

LeTiss wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 am
Quite interesting that you can still get 1.08 on Trump NOT leaving before the end of his 1st term

I'm assuming some are forming an opinion that he may walk before the election, if a victory looks impossible?
I've been following that market, the odds have been like that for quite some time. I used to think it was because of the chance of him dying from corona, but then there should be more of a time-decay effect; with every day passing there is less time for him to get it a second time, and there is little more than 2 months before this market expires. So yes, I agree. There must be a feeling he will walk away in anger. Either before or just after the election.
The dog of ry

LeTiss wrote:

Or maybe that he actually does catch Covid
Naffman

The dog of ry wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:33 am
LeTiss wrote:

But then Pence wouldn't be back to 1000
gazuty

The dog of ry wrote:
LeTiss wrote:

That reflects he loses election and leaves pre 20 January.

And Trump has already threatened that. Imho it’s worth back pence for 10@1000 to be sworn in pre Biden. It’s just the sort of stunt Trump would pull.
LeTiss

gazuty wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 am
The dog of ry wrote:
LeTiss wrote:

That reflects he loses election and leaves pre 20 January.

And Trump has already threatened that. Imho it’s worth back pence for 10@1000 to be sworn in pre Biden. It’s just the sort of stunt Trump would pull.
Ah, excellent piece of information. I hadn't looked at the rules on this market

In that case, it's worth a little dabble. A strange aspect of US politics.......if you've been voted out of office, why wait for another 2 months to hand over the baton? At least in the UK, the beaten PM is packing their bags the following morning
LeTiss

There's a significant WoM on Biden right now

Return to “Political betting & arguing”