US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Trader Pat

Who knows but long may it continue! I want Trump odds on so I can lay off some of my comedy green
johnsheppard

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm
Was talking more about how people get tribal and emotionally attached to their opinions.
Ahh ic!

I'm a relative noob at observing political markets and things. I think the tribalism thing is probably a US thing? In my local politics (Australia) I don't think we get all that much of that....I would guess we're a bit more like the UK....

Our state gov elections are running now also and I get all this useless advertising in the mail. It's sole purpose is to tell me that the OTHER party is shit and the worlds gonna implode if we vote them. The result being I have no idea what the political parties actually stand for... Then they use blatant images out of context and all the tricks in the graphic designers book with colour psychology and all that stuff.... just turns into a bunch of 3 year olds in a sand pit...
Trader Pat

johnsheppard wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 pm
Our state gov elections are running now also and I get all this useless advertising in the mail. It's sole purpose is to tell me that the OTHER party is shit and the worlds gonna implode if we vote them. The result being I have no idea what the political parties actually stand for... Then they use blatant images out of context and all the tricks in the graphic designers book with colour psychology and all that stuff.... just turns into a bunch of 3 year olds in a sand pit...
Yeah its a real shame, the message always seems to gets lost in the noise!

Unless you don't have a message in the first place in which case it works well! :D
Rabbs

Bye bye Biden
firlandsfarm

johnsheppard wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:38 pm
... I get all this useless advertising in the mail. It's sole purpose is to tell me that the OTHER party is shit and the worlds gonna implode if we vote them. The result being I have no idea what the political parties actually stand for... Then they use blatant images out of context and all the tricks in the graphic designers book
Yep it's what I call the Criticise Culture of today. Don't say what you would do better just say where what they are doing is crap in your opinion.
The reason is that the media look for disagreement. Disagreement makes news, agreement is boring! Also it only takes one "expert" to disagree with something to make news while the others who agree are not mentioned. A good example was when Prof. Neil Ferguson claimed he told the Government to lockdown a week earlier than they did and it would have saved lives ... scientists who did not make that recommendation were not mentioned!

And they always claim "the people" agree with them. I am a member of "the people" but I've never been asked if I agree with them!
Derek27

jameegray1 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:20 am
Been a full-on Trump steam in the last few hours. Over 3 into 2.64. not sure of the cause, unless it's Derek hedging out some more of his enormous green... :mrgreen:
My brother's a spread betting guru and took advantage of the Biden steam but he's none the wiser about the Trump move.
TheRiddler

Trump forever. Just needs to 'behead' those persons and organisations who want to derail a country to the advantage of those overseas. Exciting times ahead.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 pm
jameegray1 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:20 am
Been a full-on Trump steam in the last few hours. Over 3 into 2.64. not sure of the cause, unless it's Derek hedging out some more of his enormous green... :mrgreen:
My brother's a spread betting guru and took advantage of the Biden steam but he's none the wiser about the Trump move.
Probably something to do with Biden telling campaign donors that the race is closer than the polls suggest. What else is he going to say? 'No keep your money we don't need it, we're ahead in the polls! :)

The market will probably be nearer 50/50 as we get closer to the big day
Derek27

Being called an idiot or other derogatory term by Trump must feel like accolade by now. :)
LinusP

sionascaig wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:52 am
The Trump Show - pretty entertaining programme on BBC2...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08svdkn
Really enjoying this, worth a watch!
Naffman

Biden has called a lid on campaigning until after Thursday night's debate, whereas Trump seems to be doing 2-3 rallies a day.
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:33 pm
Biden has called a lid on campaigning until after Thursday night's debate, whereas Trump seems to be doing 2-3 rallies a day.
What a tit. People will think he hasn't got the energy to campaign!
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm
Naffman wrote:
I think so too and pretty sure he took a day or more off before the town hall...it's almost like it takes him days to prepare whereas Trump just rocks up on the night.
jamesedwards

Looks like the steam on Trump is now well into rebound. Glad to report that I am now green across the board. :mrgreen:
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:16 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm
Naffman wrote:
I think so too and pretty sure he took a day or more off before the town hall...it's almost like it takes him days to prepare whereas Trump just rocks up on the night.
Best thing to do is win the election, have a socially-distanced party and resign the next day. Harris can become the first female president, Biden can have a happy retirement and Trump can bugger off to his tower. :D

Return to “Political betting & arguing”