US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Zenyatta

Well, the price moves on this market have all been utterly preposterous from start to finish. To have Trump coming all the way back in to 13s at this stage is just ludicrous.

This market really proves that human stupidity is infinite.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:08 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 am
jameegray1 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:34 am

Probably not a coincidence that the explosion in SM alongside the shift in MSM priority (clicks over facts) has coincided with the run of unexpected election/referendum results. The public are far more right-wing than media would have us believe.
Yes, I agree. The problem that "we the people" face imo is the tribalism that exists within the "free and fair press" & also big tech, clicks over facts is good business it seems, but imo it's the cause of the bitterness within the devide.

Got to laugh a little "free & fair press" that is bought for the interests of feeding the narrative... rumours of Trump buying OAM and Bezos wanting to buy CNN suggests its anything but free and fair.

Of course you can make the argument that sections of the media are biased but you can't blame the media for people being idiots. Most people are either too stupid or lazy to question what they're told or just want to listen to a point of view that matches their own. It's how everything works from politics and religion to what programs you watch on TV to what sports team you support. Its how people are wired and unfortunately it will only get worse, especially in the age of social media.
I get confirmation bias, but so do the media, which I believe they're fully at fault for exploiting... imo they have a responsibility not to purposely or willingly miss lead the general public on such devisive issues, a game of footie is quickly forgotten but politics and religion is a serious business, its how wars happen. We only have to look at Nick Sandmann to find a serious case of narrative manipulation being engraved into belief systems.. they were fully prepared to destroy that young man's life for the purpose of creating a racist narrative, to devide political opinion with a 2 min edited bait video. Don't get me wrong, this is happening on both sides of the spectrum, it was just that this is the most recent high profile case I could think of that msm exploited for political purposes. How anyone can find msm creditable after all the scandals over the years is beyond me, I'd rather listen to my dog.

And we probably won't agree but yes I can blame the media for people being "lazy" and or "stupid" - these are global news networks, the responsibility I believe is with the networks, not the people that trust them.
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:16 pm
And we probably won't agree but yes I can blame the media for people being "lazy" and or "stupid" - these are global news networks, the responsibility I believe is with the networks, not the people that trust them.

I definitely agree with you that the media contribute towards people being lazy or stupid but you can't put all the blame on them. People have to take responsibility for how they choose to interpret information. In some cases people just don't know any better and that's one thing, but its another thing to willfully ignore information and points of view that don't line up with your own beliefs. As an example during the election cycle I followed CNN and Fox News because every time a story broke you could generally tell how credible it was by comparing how the two reported on it.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:16 pm

I definitely agree with you that the media contribute towards people being lazy or stupid but you can't put all the blame on them. People have to take responsibility for how they choose to interpret information. In some cases people just don't know any better and that's one thing, but its another thing to willfully ignore information and points of view that don't line up with your own beliefs. As an example during the election cycle I followed CNN and Fox News because every time a story broke you could generally tell how credible it was by comparing how the two reported on it.
For the record, i wasn't agreeing that people are lazy or stupid for believing msm, I was quoting the descriptions you used in your first reply to me. I would of gone with easily fooled.

I understand your point but I don't agree with it whole heartedly and apparently neither does big tech, that's why we see censorship of content creators, msm is a whole other level though. If we can hold content creators accountable then we should do so on a level playing field.
jamesg46

Another example, people hiding behind free press in disguise as journalists other than msm employees. Tommy Robinson, Nigel Farage, Katie Hopkins.... we want these people held accountable for being devisive but not msm?
wearthefoxhat

It Biden hits 1.10+, I'm going in....wish me luck..

biden.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimibt

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:34 pm
It Biden hits 1.10+, I'm going in....wish me luck..

biden.png
seems like really good value... always lots of talk about *free money*, in this case, i'm of that opinion
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 pm
Another example, people hiding behind free press in disguise as journalists other than msm employees. Tommy Robinson, Nigel Farage, Katie Hopkins.... we want these people held accountable for being devisive but not msm?
I suppose it comes down to how much of what msm say is spin and how much is blatant deceit. For me again its down to the individual to do their homework and separate the two but some outlets are more guilty than others.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:42 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 pm
I suppose it comes down to how much of what msm say is spin and how much is blatant deceit. For me again its down to the individual to do their homework and separate the two but some outlets are more guilty than others.
For me looking at it from my own perspective I think individuals within msm or media should be held responsible but fundamentaly I understand that is flawed & ultimately is does come down to us as individuals. I believe there should be some accountability but my wires cross on how.
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:53 pm
For me looking at it from my own perspective I think individuals within msm or media should be held responsible but fundamentaly I understand that is flawed & ultimately is does come down to us as individuals. I believe there should be some accountability but my wires cross on how.
In the UK you have Ofcom so there should be some accountability but in the States there doesn't seem to be anyone keeping the media honest.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:05 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
In the UK you have Ofcom so there should be some accountability but in the States there doesn't seem to be anyone keeping the media honest.
I've been watching Designated Survivor on Netflix, great series & even though it's just a fictional series it sort of shows how the establishment and msm in DC operates. Good watch imo if you have some free time.
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:14 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:
I've been watching Designated Survivor on Netflix, great series & even though it's just a fictional series it sort of shows how the establishment and msm in DC operates. Good watch imo if you have some free time.
Yeah its a good watch.

Every time I see Kiefer Sutherland it reminds me of The Lost Boys though :twisted: :)
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

Yeah its a good watch.

Every time I see Kiefer Sutherland it reminds me of The Lost Boys though :twisted: :)
I've not watched it, just had a quick Google, it was a year after I was born and he looks mid teens.
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Yeah its a good watch.

I've not watched it, just had a quick Google, it was a year after I was born and he looks mid teens.

I saw it when I was about 12, was good fun but wouldnt call it scary.

By 12 though I was already a veteran of The Omen, The Exorcist and Poltergeist! :)
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Yeah its a good watch.

I saw it when I was about 12, was good fun but wouldnt call it scary.

By 12 though I was already a veteran of The Omen, The Exorcist and Poltergeist! :)
I remember watching the Exorcist & Driller Killer as a teenager... the narrative back then got me feeling scared before watching them. The story went something like people had committed suicide after watching them, it filled me with fear over the possibility but actually the movies weren't that scary. Funny how we can be fearful of tales, I dont know to this day if it was true or not.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”