US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:22 pm
Trump expected to grant around 100 pardons!
$$$$$$$$$$$

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/u ... -1.4461112
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:22 pm
Trump expected to grant around 100 pardons!
Julian Assange ? :roll:
Derek27

If his impeachment trial results in a conviction do his pardons become void? ;)
jamesg46

This news about pardons has been circulating for at least a month, it's not something new that Presidents save their own ass on their way out. Check out some of Obama's final executive orders. Or just dig into the final moments of most Prssidents, they're all self righteous pieces of...
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:42 pm
From what I have read then no they dont. But they might if the pardon(s) were for him or members of his family.

Also, a president (good or bad) can pardon someone for past crimes and its accepted by both sides of the house and at supreme court level that its legal and must be upheld.

However, its not clear if a president can pardon someone for future crimes. During the somalia conflict (Battle of Mogadishu) its rummered that Clinton did pardon Delta Special Forces for furture crimes as deciding who the good or bad guys were would be impossible.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
From what I have read then no they dont. But they might if the pardon(s) were for him or members of his family.

Also, a president (good or bad) can pardon someone for past crimes and its accepted by both sides of the house and at supreme court level that its legal and must be upheld.

However, its not clear if a president can pardon someone for future crimes. During the somalia conflict (Battle of Mogadishu) its rummered that Clinton did pardon Delta Special Forces for furture crimes as deciding who the good or bad guys were would be impossible.
I was only joking about the pardons becoming void but I'm pretty sure you can't pardon for future crimes. It would mean they can do whatever they like, kill anyone they don't like and get away with it. I just hope Biden/Congress get rid of this crazy pardoning system which is obviously open to abuse and will be abused in the future. They keep banging on about nobody being above the law - you are if you get pardoned.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:25 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I was only joking about the pardons becoming void but I'm pretty sure you can't pardon for future crimes. It would mean they can do whatever they like, kill anyone they don't like and get away with it. I just hope Biden/Congress get rid of this crazy pardoning system which is obviously open to abuse and will be abused in the future. They keep banging on about nobody being above the law - you are if you get pardoned.
If you read the constitution then it says the president can give pardons but not around impeachment. So if he is successfully impeached by the senate then that may mean all the pardons he gave might be voided.
firlandsfarm

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:42 pm
No idea why (if true) why Pelosi would ask for that ...
Simple ... she's grandstanding and making as much capital as she can from the current misinformation surge. Had a great example this morning ... while talking about Trump Sky talked over clips of some guys in combats with guns ... when talking about Biden they showed a pic of Biden! In a separate story they showed Trump, Biden and BLM 'supporters' all in combat gear with guns! Typical media misinformation by implication.
Dallas

Two of the US guards have been removed as part of vetting
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:17 pm
Yes, but they've still got another 5,000 to interview. :)
superfrank

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:09 pm
Had a great example this morning ... while talking about Trump Sky talked over clips of some guys in combats with guns ... when talking about Biden they showed a pic of Biden! In a separate story they showed Trump, Biden and BLM 'supporters' all in combat gear with guns! Typical media misinformation by implication.
Bari Weiss summed up media attitudes nicely when resigning from the New York Times last year.
...a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn't a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.
https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter
greenmark

Such is democracy.
Providing we keep talking, rather than shooting, the elegant compromise will emerge.
Trader Pat

In the style of the Thunderbirds... Impeachment is a go!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconn ... ment-trial

If McConnell votes yes other Republicans will follow.

A Senate conviction is currently available at 3.40, looks juicy with this news
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:14 pm
In the style of the Thunderbirds... Impeachment is a go!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconn ... ment-trial

If McConnell votes yes other Republicans will follow.

A Senate conviction is currently available at 3.40, looks juicy with this news
I'll wait for knightwire2's advice before getting involved in the market. ;)

I hope the Beast is thoroughly disinfected for Biden.
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:17 pm
Twelve now!

Return to “Political betting & arguing”