US Presidential Election 2024

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Naffman

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:47 pm
Naffman wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:03 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:57 am
The raid is apparently in relation to the handling of classified documents that should be part of the archive but they believe Trump took some home with him. If they find any then he's committed a felony and won't do any jail time but will be automatically barred from running for office again.

Problem is if they don't find any then they've just made a martyr of him, and he'll be able to campaign off the back of it. It's incredible that a former president's home has been raided but I can't imagine even he'd be dumb enough to have any incriminating documents at mar-a-lago. Having said that the feds must have some compelling evidence to even get a judge to sign off on a warrant for an ex president.
Time is not on DT’s side, they’ve got 2 years to figure how to screw him (and rightfully so) but I agree if they come up short he can play the victim card.

DeSantis mentioned it but didn’t mention Trump’s name which is interesting, he’s clear favourite and if he wins big in November he could carry that momentum through to 2024 especially now with the backing of Murdoch
If they don't find anything CNN's wet dream will turn into the end of the world but it will be really interesting to see how DeSantis plays it. Like you say he has Murdoch's backing now so he'll definitely be running in 2024 and so will Trump, so how hard will DeSantis go after Trump? Those debates will be a great watch.
I think DeSantis will use the Youngkin playbook by almost ignoring him but if Trump comes after him it could get very interesting :lol:

But this FBI probe really doesn’t look good for DT, I reckon he’ll have to come up with a deal, maybe saying he doesn’t run for President in the future but the FBI might not want to let him off the hook that easy
Derek27

It's quite a high-risk gamble the Republicans will be playing if they select Trump. He could be found guilty at a crucial stage or the run-up to the election. As Johnson has shown, the bigger they are the harder they fall and the messier the aftermath. :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:20 pm
It's quite a high-risk gamble the Republicans will be playing if they select Trump. He could be found guilty at a crucial stage or the run-up to the election. As Johnson has shown, the bigger they are the harder they fall and the messier the aftermath. :D
It's pretty staggering that anyone should be complaining about the FBI going about their business. Trump isn't the USA or a good custodian of it's constitution. I hope they find something (because I'm biased and I dont like him) and execute the law to the letter. Political integrity is becoming as rare as rocking horse poo.
Archery1969

It's been confirmed by legal experts that there is nothing stopping a convicted felon becoming the US president, as mad as that may seem. Nothing in the constitution bars them.
Jukebox

greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:46 pm
...... I hope they find something (because I'm biased and I dont like him) and execute the law to the letter. Political integrity is becoming as rare as rocking horse poo.
On the one hand I might expect them to go armed with evidence to plant and if they didn't I would expect him to claim that they did.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:04 pm
It's been confirmed by legal experts that there is nothing stopping a convicted felon becoming the US president, as mad as that may seem. Nothing in the constitution bars them.
I wonder now whether the FBI is on Trump's side. Wade in, find nothing and as TraderPat said it makes Trump a martyr. Would love to hear the phonecall between Biden and Chris Wray.
If they don't find something significant it's a total mess and DT emerges like a teflon-coated turd.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
I hope they find something (because I'm biased and I dont like him) and execute the law to the letter.
I'd rather they execute him!
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
But they're barred from appearing on Who Wants to be a Millionaire!
Derek27

Jukebox wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:34 pm
greenmark wrote:
...... I hope they find something (because I'm biased and I dont like him) and execute the law to the letter. Political integrity is becoming as rare as rocking horse poo.
On the one hand I might expect them to go armed with evidence to plant and if they didn't I would expect him to claim that they did.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Whatever they find he'll call it a witch hunt and claim evidence was planted so they may as well do it anyway. :D
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:36 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
I wonder now whether the FBI is on Trump's side. Wade in, find nothing and as TraderPat said it makes Trump a martyr. Would love to hear the phonecall between Biden and Chris Wray.
If they don't find something significant it's a total mess and DT emerges like a teflon-coated turd.
A judge in a federal court has ruled that The House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee have a right to see Trump's tax returns. So it's gonna be one investigation after another, he's still being investigated for his financial dealings. He's always been reluctant to disclose his tax docs so he could well have something to hide.
Archery1969

Remember though, this guy has been bankrupt 3 times, took down some major banks, has had the IRS investigating him for decades, somehow became the president of the United States, has close links to Russia and Putin.

I am sure they will get him on something but it might be a long and fun journey. :lol:
Derek27

Shit! I've got a Cobol program listing I should never have removed from the office, and it's in my flat! :o :lol:
Derek27

Trump to be questioned under oath. He should be questioned on an electric chair connected to a lie detector. :D
Archery1969

Mr Donald Trump arrived at the New York attorney general's office on Wednesday to answer questions relating to his family's business practices. The former president invoked the Fifth Amendment, which protects people from being compelled to be a witness against themselves in a criminal case.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:44 pm
Mr Donald Trump arrived at the New York attorney general's office on Wednesday to answer questions relating to his family's business practices. The former president invoked the Fifth Amendment, which protects people from being compelled to be a witness against themselves in a criminal case.
Surely the next step is to start criminal proceedings against him. People have been convicted with much less evidence against them. The powers that be have spent over a year going through video footage of Trump ordering an army of thugs into Capitol Hill and they don't have enough to charge him. :roll:

Return to “Political betting & arguing”