US Presidential Election 2024

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:56 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:37 pm
Not long Derek and we will find out what the FBI were looking for and what they took away. Details of the warrant will be revealed by 25th August.
Trump would’ve never agreed to release the search warrant if Garland hadn’t have forced the issue, I think him and his allies have already floated the idea that the evidence has been planted so I guess if it’s that bad that will be the go to.
I was thinking, WTF has a cartoon cat got to do with it when I realised that's Garfield, not Garland. :)
Derek27

FBI has recovered a "trove" of top secret documents and other highly classified docs. :D
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:33 pm
FBI has recovered a "trove" of top secret documents and other highly classified docs. :D
The list shows that one list of documents is marked "TS/SCI" - or top-secret/sensitive compartmented information - a classification level reserved for information that could cause "exceptionally grave" damage to US security, the Wall Street Journal reports.

:o
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:
The list shows that one list of documents is marked "TS/SCI" - or top-secret/sensitive compartmented information - a classification level reserved for information that could cause "exceptionally grave" damage to US security, the Wall Street Journal reports.

I'm more concerned about the presidential dinner menu. We don't want Russia or terrorists to know what the west is eating!
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:48 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I'm more concerned about the presidential dinner menu. We don't want Russia or terrorists to know what the west is eating!
The court document lays out that Trump is being investigated for violating a federal law known as the Espionage Act.
Derek27

Not much change in his price, 4.7/4.9!
the4droogs

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 pm
I suspect no one really knows whether this helps or hinders his chances at reelection
Archery1969

the4droogs wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:30 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I suspect no one really knows whether this helps or hinders his chances at reelection
It depends, it they have been declassified then legally he will get off but if any of them havent been then he toast. Although i still think its very unlikely he would do Jail time. More likely house arrest and barred from ever running for president again, which suspect is what they really want. Apart from Derek who wants him publicly electrocuted. :lol:
Derek27

the4droogs wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
I know there are a lot of loonies who will stick by him through thick and thin, just like the ones who still want Boris Johnson to remain as PM. But there must be a limit to how long this disinfectant injector recommender can carry on. :)
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:37 pm
the4droogs wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
It depends, it they have been declassified then legally he will get off but if any of them havent been then he toast. Although i still think its very unlikely he would do Jail time. More likely house arrest and barred from ever running for president again, which suspect is what they really want. Apart from Derek who wants him publicly electrocuted. :lol:
If America is a true democracy where nobody is above the law, he'll serve time in prison. :D
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:22 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:37 pm
the4droogs wrote:

If America is a true democracy where nobody is above the law, he'll serve time in prison. :D
But it’s not a true democracy, look at what the Supreme Court did over abortion laws. There was no National or even state vote on the subject. The USA and other western countries are only a true democracy when it suits them.

But I still want to know what files Trump had on the French president. 😂
gazuty

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:20 am
But it’s not a true democracy, look at what the Supreme Court did over abortion laws. There was no National or even state vote on the subject.
Wrong.

There are plenty of state laws in the US on abortion - and those state laws are passed by state legislators elected by the citizens of each State. That is representative democracy in action. Representative democracy is different from direct democracy - we don't have a vote on every single issue. Mob rule is itself never wise.
Archery1969 wrote:
The USA and other western countries are only a true democracy when it suits them.
Are you saying there is some conspiracy of the elite that decides when and how democracy is suited to the conditions of the west?

Let's be really clear, whatever failings there are in the West, and there are many, the system of representative democracy in the west is vastly superior to the autoritarian systems in China and Russia, the absolute monarchy of Suadi Arabia or the theocracy of Iran.
Trader Pat

gazuty wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:54 am
Archery1969 wrote:
But it’s not a true democracy, look at what the Supreme Court did over abortion laws. There was no National or even state vote on the subject.
Wrong.

There are plenty of state laws in the US on abortion - and those state laws are passed by state legislators elected by the citizens of each State. That is representative democracy in action. Representative democracy is different from direct democracy - we don't have a vote on every single issue. Mob rule is itself never wise.
Have to disagree with your here Gaz.

The US is a unique case study because its not one country, it's effectively fifty countries each with their own set of laws. With abortion the Republicans did what they do best, they played the long game. They quietly got conservatives elected to positions of power much further down the food chain where they could influence state legislatures. They know that if an abortion ban was put to a public vote they would lose big time. Kansas left it to the voters to decide and they voted against an amendment to the constitution that would have allowed lawmakers to ban abortions. Kansas is one of the more conservative states in the union.

Representative democracy isn't justification for politicians passing any law they want. Take Brexit, that was put to a public vote. The Tories didn't say we can do what we want because you elected us to office.

Archery1969 wrote:
The USA and other western countries are only a true democracy when it suits them.
I agree with Archery.

If the US were a true democracy how could one man (Mitch McConnell) have continually blocked senate votes for years on bills from gun control to healthcare even though polls showed that a majority of Americans were in favour of change? And it's not just the Republicans, the current Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer's daughter is a lobbyist for big tech which is at the very least a conflict of interest because he still hasn't put an antitrust bill against big tech to the senate for a full vote.

There are senators who have been in office for forty years who have only had to stand for re-election once because there was nobody to stand against them. How's that true democracy?

gazuty wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:54 am
Are you saying there is some conspiracy of the elite that decides when and how democracy is suited to the conditions of the west?

Let's be really clear, whatever failings there are in the West, and there are many, the system of representative democracy in the west is vastly superior to the autoritarian systems in China and Russia, the absolute monarchy of Suadi Arabia or the theocracy of Iran.
Like you I'd rather live in a democratic society but it's a fallacy of the western world that all the people in these countries need or want to be saved, they don't.
Last edited by Trader Pat on Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenmark

"The removal of classified documents or materials is prohibited by law. Mr Trump increased the penalties for the crime while in office and it is now punishable by up to five years in prison. "

:lol: The guy is not only a vain, sexist, arrogant insurrectionist.
But it would seem he's a biit thick too.
Archery1969

Switzerland is probably the best democracy going.

They literally vote on everything and with 100,000 signatures any law can be challenged by the public.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_in_Switzerland

Return to “Political betting & arguing”