Batley and Spen By-Election 2021

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Dallas

Unlike the Hartlepool by-election I'm much less sure of the history in this constituency except it too was held by Labour and the former actor Tracy Brabin

Unlike in Hartlepool who's by-election was triggered by the incumbent labour MP resigning under sex allegations this one has been triggered by Tracy being elected Mayor of West Yorkshire in the recent local elections

So when I just looked I was surprised to see the Torys so short to take this, especially as there wasn't the vote spilt in 2019 either as seen in Hartlepool

Unless there's another reason I'm not aware of my only assume for this pricing is largely because of the overall Tory performance earlier this month?
https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/p ... .183248116
Jukebox

Labour does look a bargain at the moment for this one - Jo Cox's sister (Kim Leadbeater) might well be their candidate and would no doubt have a well publicized announcement if selected.
Naffman

I see George Galloway has been confirmed to run, in a high Muslim area he will be sure to split the Labour vote especially with the Israeli conflict still fresh in the mind.
Naffman

So after the Tories lost an almost unlosable seat in Chesham last week, they currently lead 47-41 in the only poll for the Batley by-election on July 1st.

I can definitely see why people are deserting the 2 main parties, Starmer is a wet rag and Johnson is becoming more left by the day. Problem is there looks to be no 3rd party challenge with WPB only polling at 6%.

It almost comes down to who's local candidate's ground game is better.
Dallas

Tory's have shortened right up since I lasted looked at this, now @ 1.22
sionascaig

If the QT audience is anything to go by, would have thought there is a lot of frustration out there at covid handling / mat hancock / uefa officials (and counteracted by the england run - oh oh)... Really tempted to put a small lay in...
Archery1969

Someone somewhere knows something the odds on tories was 1.19 this afternoon and now they are 1.50 :o
Naffman

Result expected soon, apparently a really tight race
Derek27

:D
Naffman

I know Labour only won by 300 votes but that is a seriously good result for them considering Galloway managed to get 22% of the vote and there was almost no challenge from the right for the Tories.
xtrader16

Naffman wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:53 am
I know Labour only won by 300 votes but that is a seriously good result for them considering Galloway managed to get 22% of the vote and there was almost no challenge from the right for the Tories.
They are still unelectable on a national level. One Party State.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”