Next Prime Minister / Tory Party Leader

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:27 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:27 pm

She is nuts. Throwing flak around to dstract from the lack of a cogent strategy.
Yeah, i am starting to think she going to be a huge disaster for the country and in 12 months time there will be another leadership contest.
You may well be right. She will inherit a complete fiasco. The electorate like to blame 'somebody'. For the Torys ditching Truss will be a last gasp.
On the other hand she may turn this chaos around and we'll bow at her feet. Which scenario would you bet on?
I would stake a good amount of money its going to be a disaster.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 pm
greenmark wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:35 pm

Yeah, i am starting to think she going to be a huge disaster for the country and in 12 months time there will be another leadership contest.
You may well be right. She will inherit a complete fiasco. The electorate like to blame 'somebody'. For the Torys ditching Truss will be a last gasp.
On the other hand she may turn this chaos around and we'll bow at her feet. Which scenario would you bet on?
:lol: It's all a bit messy at the moment. The looneys have taken over the asylum (apologies to folks with mental health problems, been there, got the t-shirt).
Perhaps covid has been the catalyst. It shook the global structures, second only to a world war. Loads of people dismissed covid, but it's changed the landscape.
Everyone in the 'developed' world now knows what an existential threat is like. And Ukraine has only emphasisied that. And I'm not Russian bashing with that, it just is a fundamental shift of international relaionships - unwelcome for me.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:14 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

:lol: It's all a bit messy at the moment. The looneys have taken over the asylum (apologies to folks with mental health problems, been there, got the t-shirt).
Perhaps covid has been the catalyst. It shook the global structures, second only to a world war. Loads of people dismissed covid, but it's changed the landscape.
Everyone in the 'developed' world now knows what an existential threat is like. And Ukraine has only emphasisied that. And I'm not Russian bashing with that, it just is a fundamental shift of international relaionships - unwelcome for me.
It would be far cheaper to put a bounty on Putins head. £10 billion dead or alive.

Although I not sure that would be internationally legal. 😂
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:28 pm
greenmark wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

It would be far cheaper to put a bounty on Putins head. £10 billion dead or alive.

I would dispute your balance sheet. But then I don't have a nuclear shelter, so that shifts one's judgement.
War has always been the fall-back to generate economic activity. It's almost like "the plebs are getting lazy, let's a have a war to liven them all up".
Your comment about the US's thinking around Hiroshima and Nagasaki made me pause. I concluded there were 3 elements.
1. Japan had no equivalent reply
2. The overwhelmng view at the time was that Japan would never surrender.
3. The US really wanted to see what deployment of a nuke (or two) would do.
and 4. (jeez this is turning into a Monty Python sketch) It was a great opportunity for the US to send a signal that they were the boss.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:43 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

I would dispute your balance sheet. But then I don't have a nuclear shelter, so that shifts one's judgement.
War has always been the fall-back to generate economic activity. It's almost like "the plebs are getting lazy, let's a have a war to liven them all up".
Your comment about the US's thinking around Hiroshima and Nagasaki made me pause. I concluded there were 3 elements.
and 4. (jeez this is turning into a Monty Python sketch) It was a great opportunity for the US to send a signal that they were the boss.
Monty Python Sketch :lol:
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:43 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Monty Python Sketch :lol:
Folks think of the Silly Walk, Spanish Inquisition or Parrot sketch. For me (and this is laying my childlike humour bare) it was the fish-slapping sketch.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:06 pm
Didn't quite catch what was said but Truss has upset the Jewish community.
Liz Truss was today facing a backlash after she claimed that “woke” civil service culture “strays into antisemitism”.

The frontrunner in the race to replace Boris Johnson issued a press release vowing to protect Jews from “creeping antisemitism and wokeism”.
She said starting your own business is a Jewish "value", which I guess will be contradicted by the Jewish community, just like not all Indians eat curry and not all English people walk their dog. She's going to be a complete disaster if she can't control her mouth, but it will keep the comedians and satirists happy. :D
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:35 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:06 pm
Didn't quite catch what was said but Truss has upset the Jewish community.
Liz Truss was today facing a backlash after she claimed that “woke” civil service culture “strays into antisemitism”.

The frontrunner in the race to replace Boris Johnson issued a press release vowing to protect Jews from “creeping antisemitism and wokeism”.
She said starting your own business is a Jewish "value", which I guess will be contradicted by the Jewish community, just like not all Indians eat curry and not all English people walk their dog. She's going to be a complete disaster if she can't control her mouth, but it will keep the comedians and satirists happy. :D
Not all Indians eat curry. I got a story here. Having spent many business trips to India in the 90s I can assure everyone that the food you get in your local Indian takeaway has no resemblance to the food in India and I won’t even bother explaining why they pick up and eat food with their left hand. 😂🤮 No offence meant towards anyone from Chennai. 🤠 I remember being in many restaurants and asking for a fork, which got some funny looks and comments. 👀

Best experience was South Korea in 96. Left the airport, tanks either side of motorway all the way to hotel. Gas mask in bottom draw next to my bed. Office took me out to restaurant and was told to pick what I wanted from a cage outside, got to the table and my furry friend outside was killed, skinned and cooked for me. For the next 12 days of the trip I went vegan. 😂
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:32 am
I can assure everyone that the food you get in your local Indian takeaway has no resemblance to the food in India
That's been the case for most of my lifetime. My parents were from Goa and my mum always cooked authentic curries, but there are a few restaurants popping up in London that serve genuine Goan food. My absolute favourite is Sorpotel. I remember a chef in a London restaurant telling me he had a customer who complained that the Sorpotel was greasy/oily and too finely cut. It's a bit like complaining you're ice cream's cold. :)

https://carmelitafernandes.com/goan-aut ... el-recipe/
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:56 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:32 am
I can assure everyone that the food you get in your local Indian takeaway has no resemblance to the food in India
That's been the case for most of my lifetime. My parents were from Goa and my mum always cooked authentic curries, but there are a few restaurants popping up in London that serve genuine Goan food. My absolute favourite is Sorpotel. I remember a chef in a London restaurant telling me he had a customer who complained that the Sorpotel was greasy/oily and too finely cut. It's a bit like complaining you're ice cream's cold. :)

https://carmelitafernandes.com/goan-aut ... el-recipe/
That looks bloody nice and right up my street. :)

Someone years ago told me that the Indian food in the uk is more like Bangladeshi than authentic Indian. No idea if that’s true but he was from India.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:06 am
Someone years ago told me that the Indian food in the uk is more like Bangladeshi than authentic Indian. No idea if that’s true but he was from India.
I think there's a big difference between Northern and Southern Indian food, regarding the spices they use. Most of the Indian restaurants over here serve northern food, so that makes sense.

I've only spent five weeks in India when I was 11. I didn't like curry at the time and mainly ate cereal, toast, crisps and all the things I'm used to over here. What a flipping waste!! :lol:
Archery1969

Wrong thread but wanted to post an experience I had today.

Got on a bus to Brighton, it stopped outside the blind veterans place at Rottingdean. About 30 males got on the bus and occupied most of the back of the bus where I was sitting. They were all from Ukraine. Every one of them either had an artificial leg, arm, blind or all of the above.

What struck me was how friendly they all were and happy to be in the UK. What shocked me was each of them wanting to go back and defend their country however they could. They were happy yes but physically broken 20 and 30 year olds.

When leaving the bus each of them wanted to shake my hand and said thanks.

For once in my life I was speechless and part of me, if younger, wanted to go to Ukraine with them. Completely mad thing to say I know.

Got me thinking though, how would the snowflakes in the UK these days deal with WW3 or such events. No doubt asking tje governmemt of the day for 100% help.

It’s the one thing I will give Boris allot of credit for. He did try and mobilise Europe into helping them, did put in place them being trained in UK, gave them allot of firepower on the battlefield and went there himself to see the damage done on the ground.

Personally, I wish he had sent in UK forces to help them. Basically they fighting a super power on paper and getting a hammering.

Makes you think about stuff. Just saying. 😞
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:36 am
It’s the one thing I will give Boris allot of credit for. He did try and mobilise Europe into helping them, did put in place them being trained in UK, gave them allot of firepower on the battlefield and went there himself to see the damage done on the ground.
Sorry, I'm not tolerating anything nice said about Boris Johnson. He's still prime minister and he doesn't give a fuck about Ukraine now! While the war rages on he's busy partying at Chequers, flying around in Typhoon jets, inviting energy bosses to Downing Street for tea and biscuits. He couldn't care less about anyone other than himself. What exactly is he being paid for right now?

I agree, those Ukrainian guys are incredibly resilient, and probably why I'll never get off with the Ukrainian girl I dream of. :(
Last edited by Derek27 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Derek27

Liz Truss was wearing a red or scarlet dress at the Sky debate hosted by Kay Burley, who was wearing a dress of the same colour. At the latest husting she was wearing a black dress, again, the same colour as what the host was wearing!

Do the hosts declare in advance what they'll be wearing and doesn't it put Sunak at a disadvantage? He can't wear a scarlet suit!
Derek27

People worrying about getting through the winter is narrowing the gap. With Truss looking like the next PM and not bothered about the situation the Tories are going to struggle to get re-elected.

Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”