Next Prime Minister / Tory Party Leader

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

Sunak's at a husting at Darlington. I'm baffled as to why Truss is so far ahead when Sunak appears to be doing better in the debates and although I don't like either of them, at least he doesn't constantly duck questions as Truss does.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:26 pm
Sunak's at a husting at Darlington. I'm baffled as to why Truss is so far ahead when Sunak appears to be doing better in the debates and although I don't like either of them, at least he doesn't constantly duck questions as Truss does.
Because Truss is hard right which is the same as most of the Tory membership.

Think about it, all those millions who voted for Boris/Tory party but only 160,000 or so are actual members of the party. To me thats an extremely small number and says allot about those individuals.

Sunak could probably come out and offer to give everyone £1,000 tomorrow and would still not win the party over to become PM.
greenmark

Good grief!
"Uswitch survey revealed that in addition to the group in debt, eight million households have no credit balances, meaning they have no cushion against the bill rises this winter."
Apparently there are around 28 million households, that's huge fraction to be not in credit at this time of year. Never mind those already in debt.
Fair enough maybe a chunk of that 8 million will be people reverting to paying monthly for what they use. But it's still a bit of a startling figure.
I've run with a surplus for decades during summer. The interest to be gained keeping the cash in savings has been so poultry the effort of managing the surplus in summer was pointless.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:10 pm
Good grief!
"Uswitch survey revealed that in addition to the group in debt, eight million households have no credit balances, meaning they have no cushion against the bill rises this winter."
Apparently there are around 28 million households, that's huge fraction to be not in credit at this time of year. Never mind those already in debt.
Fair enough maybe a chunk of that 8 million will be people reverting to paying monthly for what they use. But it's still a bit of a startling figure.
I've run with a surplus for decades during summer. The interest to be gained keeping the cash in savings has been so poultry the effort of managing the surplus in summer was pointless.
Yes, the group advocating not paying your energy bills might end up in the millions which will cause even more havoc.

Plus there was a report stating that many lights might go out in the winter due to the massive energy demands that the grid can’t/won’t be able to meet.

Scary. 😞
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:56 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:10 pm
Good grief!
Yes, the group advocating not paying your energy bills might end up in the millions which will cause even more havoc.

Plus there was a report stating that many lights might go out in the winter due to the massive energy demands that the grid can’t/won’t be able to meet.

Scary. 😞
TBH the thing that scares me most is Truss (as PM elect) seems to be old-school Thatcherite. I don't think the landscape is anything like that which (that?) Thatcher inherited.
We have a divided society. A significant minority are already up to the hilt with credit and their spending. A lot of other people don't give two hoots about doubling or tripling of energy prices.
Derek27

The present government is drafting plans for the COL crisis for the new leader to consider, and then completely ignore. The idea is that it can save the new administration time if they choose to implement it or use it as a basis for a new plan, but in reality it will just be a waste of time reading it, if they bother.

Liz Truss is on another planet if she thinks reducing a part-time or low-wage worker's tax bill by £50 will help with the energy rise.

Richie Sunak is a man from another planet who's only just arrived on Earth, and realises people struggling to make ends meet need help. He didn't realise that a few months ago when he said, let's wait until autumn and see if there are any corpses that need feeding. :)
Archery1969

Was listening to an economist and she said you need to give every household £1,250 on 1st September. I think that will cost around £23 billion. So, not too bad.

But what to do in Jan 23, Apr 23, Jul 23. Do the same every 3 months when the new energy cap comes out.

Problem is Putin /Russia are causing most of the increase and getting their money back because western governments have got no choice but to help their citizens.

My solution would be to give the public the money this year and then get rid of the problem however bad or dire that may seem to some.

If it means using nukes then do it. I am sure the USA thought the same before they dropped the bomb on Japan.

Just saying… 🥸
Derek27

If Sunak's more popular than Truss amongst MPs, why not let Truss get elected and then have a no-confidence vote? :D
Derek27

Didn't quite catch what was said but Truss has upset the Jewish community.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:55 am
If Sunak's more popular than Truss amongst MPs, why not let Truss get elected and then have a no-confidence vote? :D
I think the rules state they would have to wait 12 months.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:06 pm
Liz Truss was today facing a backlash after she claimed that “woke” civil service culture “strays into antisemitism”.

The frontrunner in the race to replace Boris Johnson issued a press release vowing to protect Jews from “creeping antisemitism and wokeism”.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Liz Truss was today facing a backlash after she claimed that “woke” civil service culture “strays into antisemitism”.

The frontrunner in the race to replace Boris Johnson issued a press release vowing to protect Jews from “creeping antisemitism and wokeism”.
She is nuts. Throwing flak around to dstract from the lack of a cogent strategy.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:27 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

She is nuts. Throwing flak around to dstract from the lack of a cogent strategy.
Yeah, i am starting to think she going to be a huge disaster for the country and in 12 months time there will be another leadership contest.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:25 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:55 am
I think the rules state they would have to wait 12 months.
I thought they were going to change those rules to accommodate Boris Johnson, just like they changed the rules of racing/handicapping to accommodate Arkle. Come to think of it, Johnson is as bad as Arkle was good. :D
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:27 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Yeah, i am starting to think she going to be a huge disaster for the country and in 12 months time there will be another leadership contest.
You may well be right. She will inherit a complete fiasco. The electorate like to blame 'somebody'. For the Torys ditching Truss will be a last gasp.
On the other hand she may turn this chaos around and we'll bow at her feet. Which scenario would you bet on?

Return to “Political betting & arguing”