UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

James Cleverly forgets which department he’s running mid-speech. :lol:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... eo-363307/
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:09 pm

Waht do you think is going on there? Is he a forgetful numpty or does he feel demoted by Cameron being parachuted into his job?
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:22 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Waht do you think is going on there? Is he a forgetful numpty or does he feel demoted by Cameron being parachuted into his job?
In fairness, George Bush got Iraq/Ukraine confused but both, Bush and Cleverly handled it well. But when Ronaldo got Saudi Arabia/South Africa mixed up he wasn't even aware. :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

In fairness, George Bush got Iraq/Ukraine confused but both, Bush and Cleverly handled it well. But when Ronaldo got Saudi Arabia/South Africa mixed up he wasn't even aware. :lol:
I'll answer my own question. Cleverly is monumentally cheesed off that Cameron has his former job.
Foriegn secretary has global status and gravitas within government.
Home secretary is a poisoned chalice. Particularly now.
Rishi has another enemy. It's like the worst soap opera you've ever seen.
This is why the odds around Labour aren't budging. The Govt is doing Labour's job for them.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:05 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:35 pm
greenmark wrote:

I'll answer my own question. Cleverly is monumentally cheesed off that Cameron has his former job.
Foriegn secretary has global status and gravitas within government.
Home secretary is a poisoned chalice. Particularly now.
Rishi has another enemy. It's like the worst soap opera you've ever seen.
This is why the odds around Labour aren't budging. The Govt is doing Labour's job for them.
PM's number 1, Chancellor's number 2, I would have thought home secretary is number 3 and a promotion for Cleverly, or maybe the current climate with two major wars close to us changes that?

I'll tell you who has completely forgotten what her job is, it's the bir bir bir bir bir bir bir Suella Braverman. She's given Sunak a 5-point plan to amend the illegal, Illegal Migration Act:
  1. Address the Supreme Court ruling, by changing the definition of unsafe to safe
  2. Remove the possibility of legal challenge, including revoking HRA, ECHR, I guess scrapping the right to appeal against anything from murder convictions to parking tickets
  3. Swift removal of illegal immigrants within days, not months. It's worth noting that having them lined against a wall and shot would be quick, but it would take days. ;)
  4. Didn't quite catch number 4 but something to do with detaining on arrival
  5. Must be done urgently, before Christmas, and Parliament must be recalled during the holiday period. That's Martingale thinking, you spend so much time and money to get nowhere but you're still motivated to finish the job quickly. :lol:
Number 2 is the craziest. I can't imagine law being passed that prevents discrimination against all people except Betfair traders, which defeats the objective of anti-discrimination law, so I don't think it's likely to work with asylum seekers. :)
Derek27

Braverman says, "Now is not a time to waste energy on a post-mortem of how we got here, what matters for those of us who believe in effective immigration control is how to move forward...".

In trading terms, that means forget about how you blew your bank, reinvest and blow another one. :)
Archery1969

There is a very simple solution to the Immigration issue.

Under UK law, the military are not subject to minimum hourly pay or certain parts of the ECHR. Also, there is still a law whereby anyone can be conscripted into the armed forces, men and women. That doesn't even have to be debated or voted on in Parliament. There is no requirement for them to be a UK citizen, think of the Gurkha's, who are not automatically made citizens and can be sent back after service. The High/Supreme court cannot rule on those issues.

Yep, you know where this is going. :)

So, first, to be reasonable you drop leaflets all over Europe, in multiple languages.

- If you come to the UK illegally, dont worry, we have a job for you, welcome to the UK armed forces. After 6 months, you will travel and see the world.

Ukraine needs troops, men and women fight there, everyone is equal. Zelensky will be very supportive of reinforcements and will look after them.

Now, technically, they wont be citizens of the UK, so Russia cant complain we sending British Troops to there. Also, they will proudly wear the uniform of Ukraine and have as much Red Borscht as their can eat, so will be well fed etc.

You reckon I got a vote winner in Hastings and other areas of the South Coast ?

:D
aperson

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:46 am
Braverman says, "Now is not a time to waste energy on a post-mortem of how we got here, what matters for those of us who believe in effective immigration control is how to move forward...".

In trading terms, that means forget about how you blew your bank, reinvest and blow another one. :)
Loads of politicians seem to use this line. Cameron got asked the other day about Greensill and said as far as he was concerned it was time to move on from it. Well, of course you want to move on. You're the one who fucked up! The whole thing about making a mistake is that it isn't for the person in question to decide when it's time to move on. "Sorry I cheated on you but that was at least a week ago, I think what the people in this relationship really want is to look to the future not the past." :roll:
LeTiss

I notice Cameron is trading at between 22 and 28 to be the next Conservative leader. I can fully see why traders might be tempted to have a nibble on that.

Being back in the cabinet will probably give Cameron a taste for government again. I half expect him to soon announce that he's decided to run for a safe Tory seat at the next GE, and after Sunak gets his ass handed to him, Cameron would an obvious front runner to replace him
firlandsfarm

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:07 am
There is a very simple solution to the Immigration issue.

Under UK law, the military are not subject to minimum hourly pay or certain parts of the ECHR. Also, there is still a law whereby anyone can be conscripted into the armed forces, men and women. That doesn't even have to be debated or voted on in Parliament. There is no requirement for them to be a UK citizen, think of the Gurkha's, who are not automatically made citizens and can be sent back after service. The High/Supreme court cannot rule on those issues.

Yep, you know where this is going. :)

So, first, to be reasonable you drop leaflets all over Europe, in multiple languages.

- If you come to the UK illegally, dont worry, we have a job for you, welcome to the UK armed forces. After 6 months, you will travel and see the world.

Ukraine needs troops, men and women fight there, everyone is equal. Zelensky will be very supportive of reinforcements and will look after them.

Now, technically, they wont be citizens of the UK, so Russia cant complain we sending British Troops to there. Also, they will proudly wear the uniform of Ukraine and have as much Red Borscht as their can eat, so will be well fed etc.

You reckon I got a vote winner in Hastings and other areas of the South Coast ?

:D
Brilliant :)
firlandsfarm

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:00 pm
Being back in the cabinet will probably give Cameron a taste for government again. I half expect him to soon announce that he's decided to run for a safe Tory seat at the next GE
If you know of one he may be grateful if you told him which one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek27

Jememy king canute says they're gonna "reform" the welfare state so that people not looking for work will be denied benefit. Hasn't that always been the case? It certainly was when I was claiming jobseekers!

They must really be running out of ideas to be promising to impliment plans that have already been in place for a decade. :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:20 pm
Jememy king canute says they're gonna "reform" the welfare state so that people not looking for work will be denied benefit. Hasn't that always been the case? It certainly was when I was claiming jobseekers!

They must really be running out of ideas to be promising to impliment plans that have already been in place for a decade. :lol:
I think it’s referring to those signed off long term sick. Unless you have cancer or a terminal illness then you must work or lose your benefits.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:23 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I think it’s referring to those signed off long term sick. Unless you have cancer or a terminal illness then you must work or lose your benefits.
That makes sense, he's gonna cure the sick, or redefine sickness.

When I was on benefit early last decade, they reduced the terminal illness period from 12 months to 6 months, so terminally ill people would have to work until the last 6 months of their expected life, look for work or lose beneifts. Perhaps reducing it to 3 would save them a few quid. :)
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:23 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Thats a staggering midunderstanding of how the welfare "safety net" works. You need to be in dire straits to recieve benefits of any kind. There are people that game any system - the biggest being lawyers/accountants for the rich. Get it right buddy!!

Return to “Political betting & arguing”