UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

The police will be onto this thread shortly!
Derek27

Archangel wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:59 pm
Derek and Greenmark, your "debate" reminds me of this :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuxO6CZptck
I've never heard of that show before. Fortunately it was on Channel 4, I'll take a look on catch-up. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:28 pm
Archangel wrote:

I've never heard of that show before. Fortunately it was on Channel 4, I'll take a look on catch-up. :)
......catch-up....... :lol:
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Archangel wrote:

At the moment I'm watching Not The Nine O'Clock News (not as funny as I remembered it), Kelly Monteith, Drop the Dead Donkey and Not Going Out. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:14 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:

At the moment I'm watching Not The Nine O'Clock News (not as funny as I remembered it), Kelly Monteith, Drop the Dead Donkey and Not Going Out. :)
What's that Van doing outside your property Derek ?
Derek27

Chancellor investing £2.5 billion in quantum and AI computing. £1 million prize a year for ten years to the person or team who does the most groundbreaking AI research. Judging by the way Sunak pissed away billions in the furlough scheme I think we're all in with a chance.
Derek27

Starmer: The lettuces may be out but the turnips are in. :)
Archangel

Tax on company profits to rise to 25% from next month
Crazyskier

Michael5482 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:26 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:42 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:12 pm
I think the BBC Director General's days are numbered. :)
Quite the opposite. Tim has been swamped with messages of support and thanks for actually taking a stand on employees paid by the public purse breaching their contracts.

You can't defend the indefensible, Derek, equating British Government policy with Nazi Germany and the Holocaust as Lineker did. Like all BBC (licence fee paid) employees, he's paid to entertain and remain IMPARTIAL at all times.

He didn't and unless he commits to remaining impartial and refraining from his repellent comments on social media, he will no longer be employed by the BBC. About time too!

CS
Lineker didn't compare the Tory Government's immigration policy to the holocaust he compared the policy to those akin to 1930's Germany. At no point has he compared it to the holocaust. That link in which you have made up is as naïve as it is stupid.

Just because people are paid by the public purse doesn't mean they can't express an opinion whether you agree with them or not. Many work for the BBC and express a personal opinion but all of a sudden you now believe it to be an issue. Have you raised impartiality with the BBC before or is it a case of it's just never suited your agenda?

You talk about impartiality, should all BBC employee's remain impartial or just the ones who's opinions you don't like? What about BBC Chairman who's currently under investigation for facilitating an £800k loan for Boris Johnson, what about his 400K donation to the Tory Party?
1930s Germany is where left wing fascism and nazism took root, that ultimately led to the tragic events surrounding the holocaust. This is why so very many people were hugely upset that Lineker made such a reference, drawing such a comparison to a democratically elected Government's policy. You may wish to check the history books before suggesting something is somehow 'made up'.

What's also a fact is that EVERY BBC employee / freelancer signs a contract binding them to impartiality. The technical legality of said contract and recent social media guidance rules notwithstanding, the principle is clear to all. Lineker breached this principle and has admitted to a colleague that he now regrets the Tweet, though his enormous ego won't allow him to apologise. Facts.

CS
Michael5482

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:17 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:26 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:42 pm

Quite the opposite. Tim has been swamped with messages of support and thanks for actually taking a stand on employees paid by the public purse breaching their contracts.

You can't defend the indefensible, Derek, equating British Government policy with Nazi Germany and the Holocaust as Lineker did. Like all BBC (licence fee paid) employees, he's paid to entertain and remain IMPARTIAL at all times.

He didn't and unless he commits to remaining impartial and refraining from his repellent comments on social media, he will no longer be employed by the BBC. About time too!

CS
Lineker didn't compare the Tory Government's immigration policy to the holocaust he compared the policy to those akin to 1930's Germany. At no point has he compared it to the holocaust. That link in which you have made up is as naïve as it is stupid.

Just because people are paid by the public purse doesn't mean they can't express an opinion whether you agree with them or not. Many work for the BBC and express a personal opinion but all of a sudden you now believe it to be an issue. Have you raised impartiality with the BBC before or is it a case of it's just never suited your agenda?

You talk about impartiality, should all BBC employee's remain impartial or just the ones who's opinions you don't like? What about BBC Chairman who's currently under investigation for facilitating an £800k loan for Boris Johnson, what about his 400K donation to the Tory Party?
1930s Germany is where left wing fascism and nazism took root, that ultimately led to the tragic events surrounding the holocaust. This is why so very many people were hugely upset that Lineker made such a reference, drawing such a comparison to a democratically elected Government's policy. You may wish to check the history books before suggesting something is somehow 'made up'.

What's also a fact is that EVERY BBC employee / freelancer signs a contract binding them to impartiality. The technical legality of said contract and recent social media guidance rules notwithstanding, the principle is clear to all. Lineker breached this principle and has admitted to a colleague that he now regrets the Tweet, though his enormous ego won't allow him to apologise. Facts.

CS
I've no need to refer to the history books. Judging by the support Lineker received the only people offended are Tory's and the anti-immigration racists who all of a sudden have became 1930's Germany political experts overnight.

Shame these people are not offended by the horrific treatment of immigrants, these are fellow human's being trafficked by criminals, dying at sea when all there doing is trying for a better life. Is that such a crime?

The Government are not democratically elected, I nor anyone have never had the opportunity to vote for or against this current Government led by Rishi Sunak.

You have absolutely no idea what any individual BBC employee's or subcontractors contracts contain. You talk about fact and impartiality at the BBC whilst not answering my question concerning Richard Sharp. If the BBC is to be impartial then it's output would be cut dramatically no more Apprentice (Alan Sugar is not impartial), no more Have I Got News for You (not an impartial programme especially Ian Hislop) the list is absolutely endless.

Gary Lineker won't apologies as he has nothing to apologies for.

News and politics should be impartial at the BBC everything outside that absolutely not.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:38 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:29 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:25 pm

Thats a nonsense post. I wouldn't wilingly subsidise an MP I considered a scumbag.
You're still evading the issue that you gloated at not being caught for not paying what the rest of of us have for - 25 years?
You are willingly subsidising scumbag MPs and non-scumbag MPs because that's the law and you're willingly obeying it. :)
still swerving away from the fact you are technically a thief. I stole two toy models and got dobbed in by my sister. I was then marched off to the store by my Mother to be ticked off by the store manager.
My only other thieving was via P2P. I downloaded quite a lot and when I told my brother-in-law who was a musician with many musician friends he pointed out to me that getting output for free deprives the creative of their just earnings for the their unique creativity.
Swivel it how you like, your behaviour and mine is theft - plain and simple.
Have you seen the front page of today's Sun greenmark? Even if I was the richest man in the world I still wouldn't give money to these scumbags!
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:17 pm
1930s Germany is where left wing fascism and nazism took root, that ultimately led to the tragic events surrounding the holocaust. This is why so very many people were hugely upset...
Fact: that is very, very loosely and indirectly related to Lineker's comment. He highlighted how dangerous the language is. You made a connection between that and the holocaust the following decade, not Lineker!
greenmark

Has this budget edged the Tory party to another tenure?
I don't think so. The stellar achievement of this govt was production and deployment of a coivd vaccine.
Otherwise, the Brexit referendum and it's fallout has dragged us down since 2016.
Business has been in limbo. How can can you invest when you haven't any clue about the bureaucratic landscape ahead of your 5-year plan?
The promised advantages of Brexit have still not been delivered. How long do you need?
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:36 pm
The promised advantages of Brexit have still not been delivered. How long do you need?
I heard it will take 50 years, another 10 terms of a Tory government. :)
Archangel

Worth remembering the same family own the Daily Mail as did in 1938 when this headline was written

Draw your own conclusions...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”