UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

If you slip up on ice and break anything you'll die of hyperthermia before an ambulance gets to you. But don't worry, your children will be able to learn maths until they're 18. :D
Derek27

Richi, have you thought about writing a book of bedtime stories? :lol:
greenmark

Euler wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:56 pm
I've always argued against things that are free because they are not valued and often misused. I'm not saying you need to charge for things or incentivise that, but if you add a nudge to the cost of services you could save billions and increase efficiency dramatically.

Maybe give everybody vouchers or something that they can 'spend' by booking an appointment or something. I don't know the detail as I haven't thought it through.

But if you look at plastic bag usage, it was a real problem until you asked people to pay 10p, then usage collapsed. This is what I'm trying to say, introduce a nudge and you could improve things dramatically.

People talk about 'cuts' but in outright and real terms the NHS budget has been on an upward path under successive governments, but it's never solved anything. At it's current rate of compounding it will end up mstching the entire national income eventually. But every politician just kicks the can down the road as it's not a vote winner.
I think there is something in your points. But there is a crucial difference, health issues appear out of the blue. Choosing to not use free shopping bags is a thought through decision.
As I have said (and will continue to say) spending is a matter of political will. It's up to all of us to direct our politicians.
For me the NHS, social car, rail, education are a disgrace. 13 years and we've regressed. This is not acceptable.
Perhaps we need some Eulers at the top table to find the best non-idealogical solutions to our problems.
Imagine if Blair had taken up Putin's offer to build a gas pipeline to the UK. Gee whizz!!!!
Archangel

I think a lot of Tories want us to have a health system more like the US.
Be careful what you wish for !
Michael5482

Archangel wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:36 pm
I think a lot of Tories want us to have a health system more like the US.
Be careful what you wish for !
No doubt about it it'll be the Tory's trying to line their own pockets privatising it to there mates. It's slowly been run into the ground to the point where they'll say full privatising is the only option.
alexmr2

Euler wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:56 pm
I've always argued against things that are free because they are not valued and often misused. I'm not saying you need to charge for things or incentivise that, but if you add a nudge to the cost of services you could save billions and increase efficiency dramatically.

Maybe give everybody vouchers or something that they can 'spend' by booking an appointment or something. I don't know the detail as I haven't thought it through.
The current NHS gives me a feeling of communism although the whole thing is unsustainable with lots of people taking advantage of the services as well as lots of money being lost and wasted:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... g-16846414 (£70 to change a lightbulb, £3.6 million a year to refill hand sanitiser dispensers)

I'm sure that those who do the right thing and pay thousands in tax and NI whilst looking after their health (rarely require the NHS) would be annoyed to know that they are paying for those who choose not to work or look after their body (or the £70 lightbulb changes). Imagine how frustrated they would now be if they eventually needed the NHS after a lifetime of paying in and then to be told they have to wait 18 months for an appointment.

In theory privatised healthcare should be more efficient and better value for money because of competition but that doesn't seem to have worked in the USA. It is a disaster for those who require 5 or 6 figures of treatment for an illness or accident. More importantly there needs to be something in place to take care of children so that none are ignored just because their parents can't afford the treatment
Archery1969

The Tories want us to have a health system based on the South Korean model. It’s currently ranked as one of or the best in the world.

But it’s not free, however it’s also not expensive.

You pay into both National Health Insurance and private health insurance per month.

If you are employed, 5% of your income will go towards your total health care. The amount self-employed pay is based on income. Employers must contribute 50% of the premium.

Sounds complicated but it’s not really. The average monthly cost is about $100.

Depends on your medical needs as to which system provides your care. But it’s transparent. If the national health system is overwhelmed then it defaults to your private health care and vice versa. Therefore waiting times are non existent. Average waiting time in A&E is 15 minutes.
sionascaig

I remember some article that said UK healthcare costs is one of the lowest in Europe as a percentage of GDP... Pretty spectacular result given how crap our GDP has become relative to other countries.

One of the best example of how not to manage the NHS was the selling off of their recruitment / out sourcing department(s)... There was an immediate increase of 40% in outsourcing costs and now it's primary function is to extract as much money as possible from the NHS - I would certainly charge £70 to change a light bulb if I could get away with it.
Derek27

Kier Starmer's been accepting donations from a Just Stop Oil nutter!
Derek27

Great work, now we need to remove that idiot from the media altogether.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 225626.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Andrew Bridgen, with the graph he posted on his Twitter account, could give Alex a run for his money.

But Matt Handoncock, using words like disgusting, offensive, no place in this house; that's the pot calling the kettle black. :)
Archangel

Andrew Bridgen once said he should be entitled to get an Irish passport because he's English. That's the kind of smarts we are dealing with.......
Derek27

After the Sarah Everard murder, the MET was going to go over their police staff with a fine toothcomb and root out the baddies. Are they now going to do it again or did they never do it in the first place?
Archangel

I always thought the Police force an attractive home for people with psycho or sociopathic tendencies. It gives you power over other people and theres an inherent trust assumed
Michael5482

Archangel wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:44 pm
I always thought the Police force an attractive home for people with psycho or sociopathic tendencies. It gives you power over other people and theres an inherent trust assumed
I read an article last week on a complete lack of vetting of officers, one of the most fundamental basics prior to employing them. God know how many more are currently in the police force, it's scary.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”