UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:36 pm
Has this budget edged the Tory party to another tenure?
I don't think so. The stellar achievement of this govt was production and deployment of a coivd vaccine.
Otherwise, the Brexit referendum and it's fallout has dragged us down since 2016.
Business has been in limbo. How can can you invest when you haven't any clue about the bureaucratic landscape ahead of your 5-year plan?
The promised advantages of Brexit have still not been delivered. How long do you need?
Brexit was never going to work to our advantage. No way on earth the EU 29 countries were going to role over to our demands by a Tory, Labour or Liberal government. It was not in their interests too and they had to makesure that other countries didn't follow suit like Greece, Netherlands or Italy spoke about at the time and its worth noting Greece and Italy still do. Greece got screwed by the EU and will pay for it for another 20 years becuase of the bailout they were given. Ask the Greeks what happened to their pensions, the EU basically crushed them.

Its worth noting that the only reason the public was given the vote was because of 1. Nigel Farage, with no MP's was causing some serious grief for the Tories and helping to inflame racisim up and down the land. 2. Nobody in their right mind ever thought the UK electorate would vote to leave.

But its done now and even Labour say that the end of it. But goodluck trying to ask for another deal which better helps the UK as the EU will say NO again whoever is in downing street. Again, its not in their interest too.

There were very little benefits to brexit unless you were retired, wealthy or a nationlist. It was probably one of the biggest con tricks of the century and 51% fell for it 110%.

Most people who voted to leave were over 50 and didn't care what the consequence would be for the younger generation. Kinda like the same ones who vote Tory or Right wing anyway.

Rumour has it that Nigel is coming back when Labour comes to power and will no doubt seed more racism and divise politics which again will dived communities and regions up and down the country. That together with the financial mess Labour will inherit will mean no plane sailing and will mean a very tough time in government. Just depends what they can do in just 4 years to makesure they get another shot otherwise, well you know who will be waiting in the wings with basically a two party election system.
greenmark

I think Brexit happened because Cameron thought he could unite a Tory party torn apart by Faragesque opinions. But Cameron either blundered or got exactly what he wanted. Will we ever know? What we do know is that Brexit has been like an anchor dragging us back. I'm all for the UK excelling but our businesses are still teling us they don't have an environment to invest. And we have a labour shortage. This is not the brave new post-brexit world we were promised.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:26 pm
I think Brexit happened because Cameron thought he could unite a Tory party torn apart by Faragesque opinions. But Cameron either blundered or got exactly what he wanted. Will we ever know? What we do know is that Brexit has been like an anchor dragging us back. I'm all for the UK excelling but our businesses are still teling us they don't have an environment to invest. And we have a labour shortage. This is not the brave new post-brexit world we were promised.
But the brave new post-brexit world was never possible/promissible in the first place.

The EU was/is never going to make it easy or give us what people wanted.

It wont matter who walks into downing street in 2, 4 or 8 years time. The EU has something to keep hold of and protect come what may.

Its worth noting, for those that are old enough to remember, that the USA / China / Russia were ALL against the formation of the EU. Why ?, protectionism, financially, stability and military power. 29 countries basically combined has a big say on the world stage, especially when it comes to doing deals on imports/exports.

The UK will soon be getting chicken from the USA which would not be allowed into the EU. We have to otherwise we wont get deals in other areas which our economy relies on. And Macron said France could not take back migrants, even if he wanted too as that is a decision for the EU, not the UK or France.

Now, with hindsight, what the UK should have done, when part of the EU demanded a bigger seat at the top table like France and Germanyt have/had. They would have had to allow it. Then we could have made some real changes which directly benefited the UK.

But we are now on the outside, we dont produce anything like we use too. We have very little the EU wants if anything. I read an article produced by someone who was a leaver and he concludes that after leaving the EU every household is basically £7,000 worse off taking everything into account. Thats a big number. Not that far off what happened to Greece when they basically went bankrupt.

One could argue that now its too late, Labour will have to spend hundreds of billions on a gamble to see if they can increase productivity and the economy to 4% like USA, EU, Japan. If it works then well done but the odds on it working is probably somewhere 1000 to 1 and if it fails we will be in debt in real terms 10 times what we where after 1945. Fine back then because most of the world was to, especially Europe but going forward into 2030 will cause most households to become even poorer.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:51 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:26 pm
But the brave new post-brexit world was never possible/promissible in the first place.

The EU was/is never going to make it easy or give us what people wanted.

It wont matter who walks into downing street in 2, 4 or 8 years time. The EU has something to keep hold of and protect come what may.

Its worth noting, for those that are old enough to remember, that the USA / China / Russia were ALL against the formation of the EU. Why ?, protectionism, financially, stability and military power. 29 countries basically combined has a big say on the world stage, especially when it comes to doing deals on imports/exports.

The UK will soon be getting chicken from the USA which would not be allowed into the EU. We have to otherwise we wont get deals in other areas which our economy relies on. And Macron said France could not take back migrants, even if he wanted too as that is a decision for the EU, not the UK or France.

Now, with hindsight, what the UK should have done, when part of the EU demanded a bigger seat at the top table like France and Germanyt have/had. They would have had to allow it. Then we could have made some real changes which directly benefited the UK.

But we are now on the outside, we dont produce anything like we use too. We have very little the EU wants if anything. I read an article produced by someone who was a leaver and he concludes that after leaving the EU every household is basically £7,000 worse off taking everything into account. Thats a big number. Not that far off what happened to Greece when they basically went bankrupt.

One could argue that now its too late, Labour will have to spend hundreds of billions on a gamble to see if they can increase productivity and the economy to 4% like USA, EU, Japan. If it works then well done but the odds on it working is probably somewhere 1000 to 1 and if it fails we will be in debt in real terms 10 times what we where after 1945. Fine back then because most of the world was to, especially Europe but going forward into 2030 will cause most households to become even poorer.
Derek27

You were too keen to press the submit button greenmark. ;)
Derek27

Kwasi Kwarteng: I'm not gonna cut the 45% tax rate, I'm gonna abolish it.

Jeremy Hunt: Some have also asked me to increase the lifetime allowance from its one million pound limit. Instead I'll go further and abolish the lifetime allowance.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:24 pm
Angela Rayner will be coming for you Derek after the General Election and put you in the Tower of London for spanking sessions. :lol:
She must be more interested in me than Jeremy Hunt then. She was wearing trousers for the budget speech. :)
Derek27

Police in England and Wales have processed a total of 117,213 fixed penalty notices for breaches of Coronavirus restrictions up to 20 June 2021.

Why isn't there a public inquiry into each and every FPN? If it wasn't obvious to the rule maker that attending a 50-person pissup wasn't breaking the rules I'm sure 99% of them could be excused. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:13 pm
Police in England and Wales have processed a total of 117,213 fixed penalty notices for breaches of Coronavirus restrictions up to 20 June 2021.

Why isn't there a public inquiry into each and every FPN? If it wasn't obvious to the rule maker that attending a 50-person pissup wasn't breaking the rules I'm sure 99% of them could be excused. :)
Public enquiries cost allot of money.

Many Kings, Queens and Prime Ministers never followed laws they were putting forward or making.

The role of the public is to go to work, pay their taxes, do as their told and follow all laws of the land.
Derek27

Buffoon Boris and his friends are convinced that next week his argument that a 50-strong office party was not breaking Covid rules will be fully vindicated. :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to hearing him try to squirm his way out of it, with Trump on Tuesday potentially on a perp walk. Could be a good week. :D
Archery1969

Has everyone read about this SPECIAL EMERGENCY ALERT thats going to be sent out to all mobile devices in April. And no this is not an April 1st joke.

Even if your phone is on siltent and/or notifications turned off you will get a very loud text alert.

Scary shit that they can do that. But I do remember back in 2016, my phone was on slient with notifications turned off, being a firearms owner the Police needed to contact me and my phone somehow rang on full volume and the display was flashing with *** Police - Pickup your phone ***

Totally freaked me out.

Apparently they can send a text message or call your mobile with a special code which allows them to bypass some stuff.

Scary big brother shit

:o
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:22 pm
Has everyone read about this SPECIAL EMERGENCY ALERT thats going to be sent out to all mobile devices in April. And no this is not an April 1st joke.

Even if your phone is on siltent and/or notifications turned off you will get a very loud text alert.

Scary shit that they can do that. But I do remember back in 2016, my phone was on slient with notifications turned off, being a firearms owner the Police needed to contact me and my phone somehow rang on full volume and the display was flashing with *** Police - Pickup your phone ***

Totally freaked me out.

Apparently they can send a text message or call your mobile with a special code which allows them to bypass some stuff.

Scary big brother shit

:o
What's scary is that you won't be able to use your phone until you answer.

They say they're testing a system that's designed to warn about dangers like floods or forest fires. Who the fuck do they think they're kidding? It's designed to warn us about Russian ballistic or hypersonic missiles on their way. If there's a fire you'll smell the smoke. If floods are on their way you just look at the forecast the day before.

I guess if they can stop you from using your phone they'd need the cooperation of your service provider. I can't really see how they can stop you from using apps on your phone.
Derek27

Don't know why we're talking about this on the election thread but I think you can switch it off. On Android it's Settings > Safety and emergency. I've already switched off the earthquake alert, I'll take the risk, but I might leave this one on and see what happens. I suppose you can't use your phone anyway when it rings until you answer. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:01 am
Don't know why we're talking about this on the election thread but I think you can switch it off. On Android it's Settings > Safety and emergency. I've already switched off the earthquake alert, I'll take the risk, but I might leave this one on and see what happens. :)
Don't think you can switch this off.

When the police were trying to get hold of me i aksed one of heir technical guys at the station and he said they have a code which when sent to your phone bypasses certain things that you have turned off and/or disabled and most modern phones if the battery is charged then can turn your phone on. :o Unless ofcourse he was playing a joke but then again how did they turn my phone volume all the way up remotely ?
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:08 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:01 am
Don't know why we're talking about this on the election thread but I think you can switch it off. On Android it's Settings > Safety and emergency. I've already switched off the earthquake alert, I'll take the risk, but I might leave this one on and see what happens. :)
Don't think you can switch this off.

When the police were trying to get hold of me i aksed one of heir technical guys at the station and he said they have a code which when sent to your phone bypasses certain things that you have turned off and/or disabled and most modern phones if the battery is charged then can turn your phone on. :o Unless ofcourse he was playing a joke but then again how did they turn my phone volume all the way up remotely ?
How recently was that? Was emergency alerts switched off if you're using Android? I can make three suggestions.
  1. Power your phone off.
  2. Leave it in another room.
  3. Have it crushed under a steam roller and then discard.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Political betting & arguing”