UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archery1969

Here’s one for the armchair experts.

The UK deficit for 23/24 is expected to be £132 Billion and total Uk debt around £2.7 Trillion.

Let’s close all the food banks and give all public sector workers, train drivers and Percy pig a nice 20% pay rise.

My only question is where would you cut spending as I presume you want to pump more money into the NHS, Education, Social care, Roads, Infrastructure, Mental Health, Policing, Armed Forces and preparing for the next catastrophe or pandemic.

Really keen to know how you going to increase tax receipts ?

Please don’t say it’s about priorities as saying that means you have to cut spending somewhere elsewhere.

Also, growing the economy to any meaningful level will not bear fruits for another 3 years minimum.

Take your time, constructive answers please.

🤠
Derek27

Braverman: We mustn't forget how to do things for ourselves!!

It's too late Suella, we've already forgotten how to pick fruit and veg. :lol:
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:20 pm

The UK deficit for 23/24 is expected to be £132 Billion and total Uk debt around £2.7 Trillion.

Let’s close all the food banks and give all public sector workers, train drivers and Percy pig a nice 20% pay rise.

My only question is where would you cut spending as I presume you want to pump more money into the NHS, Education, Social care, Roads, Infrastructure, Mental Health, Policing, Armed Forces and preparing for the next catastrophe or pandemic.

Please don’t say it’s about priorities as saying that means you have to cut spending somewhere elsewhere.

Also, growing the economy to any meaningful level will not bear fruits for another 3 years minimum.

🤠
I would cut back on the 20% pay rise.
Michael5482

Archery1969 wrote:

🤠
I'd request to join the biggest trading block in the world where we would have a free trade agreement on the movement of goods and services between member nations.
Archery1969

Michael5482 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:57 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

🤠
I'd request to join the biggest trading block in the world where we would have a free trade agreement on the movement of goods and services between member nations.
The London School Of Economics (LSE) calculates that the UK has lost £100 Billion so far by leaving the EU. But they also go on to say that it might not be that easy for the UK to ever rejoin again as several members may block any future ratification vote. And without rejoining they are also unlikely to give any good trade deals to any new government.

Obviously opinions change over time but it seems as though the damage is done and will probably take decades to fix if at all possible.
Derek27

Braverman: White people shouldn't feel guilty about Britain's former links to slavery.

Bet you'll all sleep better now. :lol:
LeTiss

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:37 am
Braverman: White people shouldn't feel guilty about Britain's former links to slavery.

She's right though. The British Empire wasn't the only rulers to use slavery. The Muslim world has a long history with slavery

Where do lefties draw the line with this non-stop self-loathing over the past?
Perhaps we should go after the Germans again. They killed 2 of my family members, I'm sure many others here have similar tales!
Perhaps we should go after the Scandinavians too. Many of our DNA will show a percentage of Scandinavian blood.....thanks to the way the Vikings raped their way around Britain

You cannot keep beating yourselves up over things that happened 200+ years ago
sionascaig

Archery1969 wrote:

My only question is where would you cut spending..... increase tax receipts ?
Good question Archery!

We seem to be stuffed until growth picks up and even then it really needs to be greater than other countries or will see a continued fall in comparative living standards.

I was hoping to hear from all the Brexit backers as they seemed sure Brexit was going to deliver. To me it has just created more paper work & higher import taxes. The situation is likely to get worse as well as UK still hasn't implemented the "import" controls as per Brexit agreement although they have with "exports".

Any move to improve trading relations with EU and all the nutters come out of the woodwork so can't see much happening there short term.

For Scotland there is an out ==> independence & re-joining EU... I suspect you are right though that no chance UK could re-join on same terms as before.
sionascaig

LeTiss wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:55 am

And don't forget the aristocracy, they kept the UK population in effective slavery for a long time (and still own most the land!). Those pesky Normans have a lot to answer for...
Michael5482

sionascaig wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:20 am
Archery1969 wrote:

My only question is where would you cut spending..... increase tax receipts ?
Good question Archery!

We seem to be stuffed until growth picks up and even then it really needs to be greater than other countries or will see a continued fall in comparative living standards.

I was hoping to hear from all the Brexit backers as they seemed sure Brexit was going to deliver. To me it has just created more paper work & higher import taxes. The situation is likely to get worse as well as UK still hasn't implemented the "import" controls as per Brexit agreement although they have with "exports".

Any move to improve trading relations with EU and all the nutters come out of the woodwork so can't see much happening there short term.

For Scotland there is an out ==> independence & re-joining EU... I suspect you are right though that no chance UK could re-join on same terms as before.
Even Brexit pin up boy Nigel Farrage has now admitted Brexit has failed and we have even more regulation on UK businesses than when in the EU and were driving businesses away but that's not really an issue as we have our blue passports back.

Give me a blue passport over economic growth any day of the week :D
Derek27

LeTiss wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

She's right though. The British Empire wasn't the only rulers to use slavery. The Muslim world has a long history with slavery

Perhaps we should go after the Germans again. They killed 2 of my family members, I'm sure many others here have similar tales!
Perhaps we should go after the Scandinavians too. Many of our DNA will show a percentage of Scandinavian blood.....thanks to the way the Vikings raped their way around Britain

It's not just lefties that keep looking back. Given we've all got 1024 grandparents if you go back 10 generations, we probably all have ancestors who were murderers, rapists, paedophiles, etc.

I've put myself off breakfast now. :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:37 am
LeTiss wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

It's not just lefties that keep looking back. Given we've all got 1024 grandparents if you go back 10 generations, we probably all have ancestors who were murderers, rapists, paedophiles, etc.

I've put myself off breakfast now. :lol:
It can be rather scary if you do a family history tree and further investigations. I found out that one of my ancestors from 1846 owned 3 workhouses (So called Guardians), married, 4 children, was found in a orgy house with underage girls, lost his family's entire fortune via gambling, went bankrupt and was found hanged underneath a canal bridge in Surrey.

:o
greenmark

LeTiss wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I sort of agree with you. Delve far enough back into history and ownership of assets flip-flops like crazy. Look at the Israel/Palestine issue. Literally thousands of years of history pored over to establish ownership of a modest tract of land.
Surely the lessons of history are there to inform what we do next, not to rake over how bad we were.
Archery1969

I love these headlines:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65608331

If you read it, it says if your earning over £50,000.

So, that's fair enough, you should pay more tax.
sionascaig

If the higher earnings cap had kept place with inflation it would now be c£100,000.

I struggle to see the justification of asking people to pay a higher rate at £50k. That level is far from being "well off", just better off than others.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”