UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

sionascaig wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:01 pm
If the higher earnings cap had kept place with inflation it would now be c£100,000.

I struggle to see the justification of asking people to pay a higher rate at £50k. That level is far from being "well off", just better off than others.
That's exactly what I was going to say. £40K was a hefty salary when I was last working. The price of food has probably doubled in the last couple of years!
Emmson

Food inflation has been appalling the last 12 months, I've never seen anything like it in my lifetime. (Chastise me for my taste in food) but 2 years ago I was buying these for £1 at Asda.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archery1969

Personally, I think train drivers in the UK who go on strike over pay are taking the piss, maybe they should go live in France ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:31 pm
Personally, I think train drivers in the UK who go on strike over pay are taking the piss, maybe they should go live in France ?
It's a free market. They earn what the market will sustain. Suck it up dude!
Derek27

Lettuce Liz's multi-billion pound giveaway to the richest 1% of society looks even more sickening with reports of babies starving due to the cost of baby milk. People will remember this come voting time.
Archery1969

Potentially the UK could become even poorer next year due to a trade deal renegotiated and signed with the EU in 2020.

Car manufacturers are warning that UK exports could be hit with between 10%-30% export tarrifs meaning that UK car manufacturing would be unsustainable and mean plants shutting for good with the loss of over 1 million direct and indirect jobs.

The future is looking bright.....
Archangel

Government want the EU to help more with illegal migration to UK

Perhaps if we hadnt already given them the two fingers they might be more disposed to do that
Michael5482

Archangel wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:02 pm

Perhaps if we hadnt already given them the two fingers they might be more disposed to do that
How ironic that Brexit was going to give us full control over our borders but we now need the help off the EU to do so as were incapable of managing our own borders :lol:

One thing that Brexit has certainly highlighted is how lazy and inept our politicians really are now they have to actually do something like regulate and govern all by themselves.
greenmark

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:21 pm
Archangel wrote:

How ironic that Brexit was going to give us full control over our borders but we now need the help off the EU to do so as were incapable of managing our own borders :lol:

One thing that Brexit has certainly highlighted is how lazy and inept our politicians really are now they have to actually do something like regulate and govern all by themselves.
In a way I don't want Labour to win the next election. I want the Tories to stay and sort out the mess they've created. Covid's over, Ukraine is just a situation to be managed.The Tories have run out of excuses for failure. What a shower!
Archangel

2016: “Brexit will make your lives better!”

2023: “cheese sandwich?? Someone’s doing well!!”
Archery1969

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:21 pm
Archangel wrote:

No country can have full control of its borders if it is a member or signatory of any human rights convention or act. This is something the Australian government has advised the British government about. At one point Australia had over 300 boats per year carrying migrants, this fell to just 1 and since none have tried to arrive. However, their policies in dealing with it were controversal at home and abroad but they basically stuck 2 fingers up to both.

What Australia did:

- Forced boats back to where they came from using their Navy. At one point firing at a ship carrying over 600 migrants,
- Transfered migrants to holding facilities in Papua New Guinea.
- Made a law stating that no migrant arriving by boat would ever be allowed to stay, even if they were deemed a genuine refugee.
- The cost of all this was somewhere in the region of $1 Billion per year (AUS).

Strange thing was the above at different points in time was endorsed by both Labor and Liberal coalitions.

I think this is why Rishi is attempting one last time to get the EU on board. If they say NO then I think you will find that the current British government will withdraw itself from the Human Rights and European convention.

But, probably the main reason why such proposals wouldn't work for the UK is because geographically we are too close to France/Europe. That wasn't the case for Australia geographically to their nearest neighbour. Using a small boat would have meant certain death by drowning and/or sharks.
Derek27

I heard the suggestion that Truss is trying to leave a legacy, so she doesn't get remembered as the woman that crashed the economy and plunged millions into debt or homelessness.

Even if she brokers a lasting peace deal between China and Taiwan, I don't think it will be enough. :lol: :lol:
Derek27

Archangel wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:26 pm
2016: “Brexit will make your lives better!”

2023: “cheese sandwich?? Someone’s doing well!!”
Ingredients to a cheese sandwich? :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:55 pm
I heard the suggestion that Truss is trying to leave a legacy, so she doesn't get remembered as the woman that crashed the economy and plunged millions into debt or homelessness.

Even if she brokers a lasting peace deal between China and Taiwan, I don't think it will be enough. :lol: :lol:
She should shut up. She's a walking diplomatic disaster.
arbitrage16

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 2:25 pm

Keep trying though, Emmson - I only have two reprobates on my ignore list thus far (Derek and Sionascaig), and they are feeling a little lonely...

CS
Can't believe no one called you out for this, you absolute plebian. Dangling it like a threat, as if anyone gives a shit if they are on your ignore list or not, lol.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”