UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:55 pm
Derek, you naughty man.

"In 2022 over 49,000 people were prosecuted for not paying the £159 yearly fee for a TV licence. Maximum penalty is £1,000 plus costs plus criminal record. There is no such thing as a TV detector van - that was originally a PR stunt to frighten people."
How do they get caught?

The average fine was less than £200 and I heard they're considering making it a civil rather than criminal offence.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek, you naughty man.

"In 2022 over 49,000 people were prosecuted for not paying the £159 yearly fee for a TV licence. Maximum penalty is £1,000 plus costs plus criminal record. There is no such thing as a TV detector van - that was originally a PR stunt to frighten people."
How do they get caught?

The average fine was less than £200 and I heard they're considering making it a civil rather than criminal offence.
Don't quote me but I believe they assume every property (Flat, House, Dorm) has a some sort or device capable of receiving live TV pictures. That can be a TV, Phone, laptop or other streaming device with picture output. This also covers all streaming channels which show live TV/News. They changed allot of the wording to try capture everyone.

Personally, I wouldnt be bothered by the fine, as you say, on average its £200 but the criminal record part can come back to haunt you with things like insurance, travel visa's and some jobs.

If and when they change it to a civil offence then I suspect that their income steam will drop about 40% over a short space of time with thousands of redundancies. It wouldn't then be viable for them to chase people through the courts. They rely on the fact that most people dont want a criminal record, however small.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:27 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek, you naughty man.

How do they get caught?

Don't quote me but I believe they assume every property (Flat, House, Dorm) has a some sort or device capable of receiving live TV pictures. That can be a TV, Phone, laptop or other streaming device with picture output. This also covers all streaming channels which show live TV/News. They changed allot of the wording to try capture everyone.

Personally, I wouldnt be bothered by the fine, as you say, on average its £200 but the criminal record part can come back to haunt you with things like insurance, travel visa's and some jobs.

If and when they change it to a civil offence then I suspect that their income steam will drop about 40% over a short space of time with thousands of redundancies. It wouldn't then be viable for them to chase people through the courts. They rely on the fact that most people dont want a criminal record, however small.
The chances of getting caught are pretty much non-existent and I think now it's not even illegal to have a TV set without a licence if you claim not to be watching BBC. Since the days of internet TV it was no longer practical to make it unlawful to use a computer or phone without a TV licence.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:44 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

How do they get caught?

The chances of getting caught are pretty much non-existent and I think now it's not even illegal to have a TV set without a licence if you claim not to be watching BBC. Since the days of internet TV it was no longer practical to make it unlawful to use a computer or phone without a TV licence.
They changed the wording, so just saying I dont watch BBC is not enough to get you off in court. But best ask a barrister who knows about such things. :lol:

This is probably the best source of information on the subject: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broad ... v-licence/

:D
The Silk Run

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:00 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:44 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

They changed the wording, so just saying I dont watch BBC is not enough to get you off in court. But best ask a barrister who knows about such things. :lol:

This is probably the best source of information on the subject: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broad ... v-licence/

Even better withdraw their implied right to access. The bounty hunters working for the BBC that is :D
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:

You just need to say you don't watch live TV or BBC iPlayer, but my mind boggles as to how anyone gets caught doing something in the privacy of their own home.

I've been watching Not Going Out on BBC iPlayer, but they don't know that. :)
Last edited by Derek27 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

The Silk Run wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:06 pm
Even better withdraw their implied right to access. The bounty hunters working for the BBC that is :D
I used to just tell them to fuck off when they knocked on my door but they haven't bothered me for ten years.

They send you a letter telling you they're starting an investigation. Another to tell you how the investigation is progressing. Then they send one informing you they're in the final stages of their investigation and a visit is imminent. Then they start the process again. :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

You just need to say you don't watch live TV or BBC iPlayer, but my mind boggles as to how anyone gets caught doing something in the privacy of their own home.

I've been watching Not Going Out on BBC iPlayer, but they don't know that. :)
But they do now. :lol:

They tracking your IP and digital footprints. :lol:

Its coming Derek, your going to get ambushed by Ukraine women, handcuffs and outfits. :lol:
Derek27

The (Tory arse-licking) Daily Mail is furious that the BBC took no action against Lineker and calls it an insult to greenmark but the Daily Express, on a more positive note suggests Lineker has put a nail in the coffin of the licence fee. :D
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:32 pm
Derek you're swerving and evading the basic point that you consumed BBC output for which the cost is the licence fee that you have admitted youo have never paid. You are a thief.
So does this Derekgate scandal mean he's not allowed to complain anymore about politicians stealing and dodging fines?? 🤨
Michael5482

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:37 am
The (Tory arse-licking) Daily Mail is furious that the BBC took no action against Lineker and calls it an insult to greenmark but the Daily Express, on a more positive note suggests Lineker has put a nail in the coffin of the licence fee. :D
He's put a nail in the coffin of the Tory's that's for sure. On the local news yesterday a north-east MP (Matt Vickers) claiming it's about the taxpayers who pay his 1.35 million wages (not you of course Derek :lol: ) but it was pointed out that the taxpayers also cover his salary and his party have thus far delivered a failed immigration policy year on year, a failing education system, a failing NHS, failed on their leveling up promise, no HS2 to the north-east etc etc :lol: :lol: :lol:
Archery1969

Kai wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:12 am
greenmark wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:32 pm
Derek you're swerving and evading the basic point that you consumed BBC output for which the cost is the licence fee that you have admitted youo have never paid. You are a thief.
So does this Derekgate scandal mean he's not allowed to complain anymore about politicians stealing and dodging fines?? 🤨
:lol:
Derek27

The reason the DWP know how many millions have been lost to fraud and error combined but not individually, obviously, is that people just look at the word fraud and blame benefit claimants for it. About 80% of the total lost is believed to be error/incompetence but we'll never know for sure.

When Vlad the Impaler was Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (otherwise known as Iain Duncan Smith), the Daily Mail would make headline news of claimants defrauding the DWP of a few hundred quid but kept very quiet about the tens of millions Vlad wasted to save his own face, defending a hopeless case at the Court of Appeal. It was a demand by the Information Commissioner to disclose documents believed to prove he lied to parliament. If he remained in his job he would have taken it to the Supreme Court and wasted even more money.

And there's greenmark worrying about £130 odd that the BBC have no moral right to anyway. :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:22 pm
The reason the DWP know how many millions have been lost to fraud and error combined but not individually, obviously, is that people just look at the word fraud and blame benefit claimants for it. About 80% of the total lost is believed to be error/incompetence but we'll never know for sure.

When Vlad the Impaler was Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (otherwise known as Iain Duncan Smith), the Daily Mail would make headline news of claimants defrauding the DWP of a few hundred quid but kept very quiet about the tens of millions Vlad wasted to save his own face, defending a hopeless case at the Court of Appeal. It was a demand by the Information Commissioner to disclose documents believed to prove he lied to parliament. If he remained in his job he would have taken it to the Supreme Court and wasted even more money.

And there's greenmark worrying about £130 odd that the BBC have no moral right to anyway. :lol:
Derek the morality here is taking something that doesn't belong to you and not paying the ticket price. Greater dishonesty should be called out, but doesn't excuse stealing from the content provider and, indirectly, from me. Because I pay the licence thar the BBc and govt decide on. And part of that analysis is factoring in the lost revenue and costs of trying to recover it.
Would you walk into a corner shop and take something without paying and feel pleased if you walked away with your theft undetected? Shops factor in stock losses to their prices, so the rest of us pay for the people that don't.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:56 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:22 pm

Derek the morality here is taking something that doesn't belong to you and not paying the ticket price. Greater dishonesty should be called out, but doesn't excuse stealing from the content provider and, indirectly, from me. Because I pay the licence thar the BBc and govt decide on. And part of that analysis is factoring in the lost revenue and costs of trying to recover it.
Would you walk into a corner shop and take something without paying and feel pleased if you walked away with your theft undetected? Shops factor in stock losses to their prices, so the rest of us pay for the people that don't.
If I walk out of a supermarket and realise I forgot to pay for something, anything more than the price of an onion I'd be straight back in the shop without giving it a thought. I was only caught nicking a plastic bag because I already paid for my shopping before realising I need another bag and couldn't be arsed to queue up just for a bag.

I've already explained the difference here. Over a couple of decades, if I decided not to watch BBC I'd still be breaking the law and potentially get fined. I could be fined for watching BBC and fined for not watching it!

The law is an ass, Derek's law is much fairer. :D

Return to “Political betting & arguing”