In play - tracksiders, how do they do it?

The sport of kings.
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:56 pm
Kai wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:24 am
HFT FTW :!:

You can learn to race read quickly...
Proper race-reading skills take years to aquire. :)
Maybe if you're color blind :D Probably does if you're learning on your own from scratch but you don't need to know that much to get into profit :)

Regarding learning "how to ladder" here's a wild random idea, close the fast pics and other runners besides the fav and have at it :ugeek:
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:16 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:

Maybe if you're color blind :D Probably does if you're learning on your own from scratch but you don't need to know that much to get into profit :)

Regarding learning "how to ladder" here's a wild random idea, close the fast pics and other runners besides the fav and have at it :ugeek:
I suppose race-reading has a different meaning to a punter. It's all about judging how well a horse is going, its action, how comfortable it is on the surface, etc.
Kai

Very underrated market overall I feel, wish I wasn't warned off it for years! Race reading on a relatively basic level is enough I think, in conjunction with the ladder side which I prefer more. There are some excellent IP traders lurking on the forum.

But perfect filler market, I'll likely be getting stuck in again after EURO :D
iambic_pentameter

If you have a knowledge of different horses' run styles, quirks, pace etc along with knowledge of the jockeys riding them, you could have a good idea pre race about what might happen.

Once the tape goes up / gates open though, things can change very quickly.

Kai is right about the ladders though - that will tell you more than 'live pictures' - again though, what you are seeing on said ladders could reinforce your pre-race opinion (or not)

Iambic
Derek27

When I had a dabble at in-play betting, I found one of the key bullets was knowing which horses find nothing off the bridle and conversely, the ones that are first off the bridle but respond well to pressure. I remember a handicap hurdle at Ascot, the two leaders jumped the last 10 lengths clear of the third hold-up horse and were at each other's throats. A put a few quid on the third at 200s, got something in the 600s - it went painfully close. :(

I abandoned it because it was just too time-consuming studying in-running traits on top of regular pre-race betting.
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 pm
I abandoned it because it was just too time-consuming studying in-running traits on top of regular pre-race betting.
Surely it's one of the least time-consuming markets, if it's possible to catch a big swing of price in like 5 seconds, compared to 5 minutes on prerace, compared to 5 days on prematch football :lol:

Has to be the most opportunity-compressed market on the exchange, so much so that its too fast for people to frame trades, and for an inplay trader 1 sec delay is a joke honestly :D Like on footy after halftime when they take ages to switch the delay and its basically trading heaven :)

No but I'm only semi-taking the piss last few comments, you can just let others do their pre-market research and their DD and it's all mostly already taken into account anyway, cuz you can see everything from the inplay activity which runners people fancy etc, you just need bigass ladders :D Like Iambic says there is some good insight to be gained to anticipate oppos slightly faster than others but I learned to always keep an open mind no matter the market and try keep the context to a minimum as I don't want to be influenced too much by my own little biases, like if I'm anticipating something that is expected to happen I might miss something better that is unexpected etc, I like a clean slate on all marekts ideally.

But ye very similar to how you can trade footy inplay without live pics and still roughly know what's going on cuz the activity itself paints its own live picture of the match etc, which is something I know you're familiar with already :)

But unlike tennis where those with fastest feeds know definitively that a point is either won or lost there is too much uncertainty here so there is room for normal traders and not just cheating speed merchants :) Personally don't care about the sport of horse racing itself so too lazy to look up stats/form etc anyway but as a trader I can appreciate the market structure.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:53 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 pm
Surely it's one of the least time-consuming markets, if it's possible to catch a big swing of price in like 5 seconds, compared to 5 minutes on prerace, compared to 5 days on prematch football :lol:

Has to be the most opportunity-compressed market on the exchange, so much so that its too fast for people to frame trades, and for an inplay trader 1 sec delay is a joke honestly :D Like on footy after halftime when they take ages to switch the delay and its basically trading heaven :)

No but I'm only semi-taking the piss last few comments, you can just let others do their pre-market research and their DD and it's all mostly already taken into account anyway, cuz you can see everything from the inplay activity which runners people fancy etc, you just need bigass ladders :D Like Iambic says there is some good insight to be gained to anticipate oppos slightly faster than others but I learned to always keep an open mind no matter the market and try keep the context to a minimum as I don't want to be influenced too much by my own little biases, like if I'm anticipating something that is expected to happen I might miss something better that is unexpected etc, I like a clean slate on all marekts ideally.

But ye very similar to how you can trade footy inplay without live pics and still roughly know what's going on cuz the activity itself paints its own live picture of the match etc, which is something I know you're familiar with already :)

But unlike tennis where those with fastest feeds know definitively that a point is either won or lost there is too much uncertainty here so there is room for normal traders and not just cheating speed merchants :) Personally don't care about the sport of horse racing itself so too lazy to look up stats/form etc anyway but as a trader I can appreciate the market structure.
I was talking about when I was betting, before I started trading. I'm sure there's a lot more (or extra) money to be made by punters who know the horses well but that would involve a lot of extra time studying traits and individual running styles. The main reason I made the switch to trading is that it takes a lot less time than keeping on top of form.
Buz

Thanks all, been very enlightening. The GPS angle is interesting, I've been a TPD subscriber in the past but I found it far too inaccurate for my liking. I've lost count where the GPS numbers say a horse has gone down by 2 or 3 metres only to find out it had won by a head.
Realrocknrolla

Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:

Totally agree. I consider myself pretty good at it.

All them years in the local betting lounges listening to the old timers was definitely worth it
paspuggie48

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:

All them years in the local betting lounges listening to the old timers was definitely worth it
Some would say you are one of them :D :lol:
Realrocknrolla

paspuggie48 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:24 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:01 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Some would say you are one of them :D :lol:
👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳👨‍🦳
firlandsfarm

What did/do tracksiders do in lockdowns?

As for reading which horse is where in a race I am always impressed by the clarity at which the commentators are able to recite a race with all it's runners ... I sometimes have trouble finding my one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 pm
... I sometimes have trouble finding my one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's why the grey ones are a popular bet, esp in the Grand National :)
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:23 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
... I sometimes have trouble finding my one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's why the grey ones are a popular bet, esp in the Grand National :)
Is that for real? My wife is a 'horsey person' and loves seeing greys race (but never bets). I've also heard there is a "Frankie Factor" at big races when the wives like to have a fancy on Frankie! :shock:
wearthefoxhat

firlandsfarm wrote:
What did/do tracksiders do in lockdowns?

As for reading which horse is where in a race I am always impressed by the clarity at which the commentators are able to recite a race with all it's runners ... I sometimes have trouble finding my one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The late Peter O'Sullevan was the first commentator that impressed me.

He had big binoculars designed like telescopes to hone in on the runners from half a mile away.

POBins.png

He'd also spend the night before cutting and pasting (with glue) the colours of the owners alongside the racecards and memorise them. Those that followed did the same, until the internet came along and now everyone can get access free and easy.

I started by learning the big owners colours, ie: K.Adbulla, Hamden Al Maktoum, J.P.McManus, M.Tabor, A.P.Obrien owners. Easy to spot them and Lay2Back them if they aren't performing well in-play. (or avoid them if they were)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”