Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:52 am
Back five minutes at Uttoxeter today from advertised time.
What I don't get is why these times were ever scheduled. The inability to race plan by the race planners is staggering!
Snaff

Anyone ever have any issues running historical relative odds condition in automation? I run 2 identical bots on Betfair and betdaq versions of BA. Betdaq seems to work perfectly but the Betfair version can fire when it clearly shouldn’t of? It will do a lot right but throughout the day the is always a few wrong? Been over it loads and can not work out why it randomly triggers sometimes.
Realrocknrolla

Cheeky little suspension right near the off on the Uttoxeter 15:30 then.

Messing with the 🤖
Andriy

PDC wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:08 pm
Euler wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:52 am
Back five minutes at Uttoxeter today from advertised time.
What I don't get is why these times were ever scheduled. The inability to race plan by the race planners is staggering!
Today it's because Tramore was postponed. Initially 3 afternoon meetings with 10 minute intervals, for 2 meetings changed to a 15 minute gap.
PDC

Thanks, I didn't realise Tramore was supposed to be on today as it isn't listed on the Racing Posts 'today' racecards, I see it has been moved to Thursday rather than just cancelled. I wish the UK would do that more often rather than just calling a meeting off.

Hopefully Lingfield and Hexham pass Wednesday's inspections.
ShaunWhite

PDC wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:38 pm
I see it has been moved to Thursday rather than just cancelled. I wish the UK would do that more often rather than just calling a meeting off.
In the UK trainers often have a lot of commitments in the diary, spread all over the country. It's not so easy to just turn up a couple of days later instead.
PDC

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:36 pm
PDC wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:38 pm
I see it has been moved to Thursday rather than just cancelled. I wish the UK would do that more often rather than just calling a meeting off.
In the UK trainers often have a lot of commitments in the diary, spread all over the country. It's not so easy to just turn up a couple of days later instead.
Can't say I particularly agree with that. The horse is very unlikely to have other commitments, many trainers outsource their transport of horses, granted not all. Staffing might be an issue but most yards are able enough to send different staff if the staff members that usually would travel with the horse(s) are not available. Trainers very often themselves don't travel to the races as they physically can't be everywhere at once. Etc.

Other countries mange this policy quite well and on the few occasions it is done in the UK, I don't recall hearing of any issues from UK trainers and in fact the only thing I recall is praise for the re-scheduling.

The bigger issue I would think is for the racecourses themselves to be able to stage the event as a lot of the staffing and facilities is temporary brought in just for the day and also getting the required permits from local authorities.

The fact we only try to do it for the rare big meeting/race and never attempt it for most other meetings leaves me puzzled as to the reason why, I don't see it being down to UK trainers having a lot of commitments in the diary as that happens many times throughout the year, just look at the amount of racing scheduled for the Christmas/New Year period.
agog

Does anyone trade these races where the volume is so weak? Lingfield 12.30 had only 60k matched 3 mins before post time....
PDC

agog wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:33 pm
Does anyone trade these races where the volume is so weak? Lingfield 12.30 had only 60k matched 3 mins before post time....
Yes, they are the bread and butter markets. A lot of fuss is made of the big markets like Cheltenham and Ascot but being able to trade the dross day in day out is much more important imo.

Especially in the winter, many if not most markets will have very low amounts of money in them so you are likely to need to figure out how to trade these sorts of markets if you are trading horse racing full time.

An inability to trade the big meetings isn't likely to have much of an impact on your performance for the year but an inability to trade the weak markets is as they make up so much of the yearly markets. I see the big meetings as the cherry on top of the weak market cake.
agog

PDC wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:47 pm
agog wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:33 pm
Yes, they are the bread and butter markets. A lot of fuss is made of the big markets like Cheltenham and Ascot but being able to trade the dross day in day out is much more important imo.

Especially in the winter, many if not most markets will have very low amounts of money in them so you are likely to need to figure out how to trade these sorts of markets if you are trading horse racing full time.

An inability to trade the big meetings isn't likely to have much of an impact on your performance for the year but an inability to trade the weak markets is as they make up so much of the yearly markets. I see the big meetings as the cherry on top of the weak market cake.
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. I'm beginning to get to grips with pre-off markets where there's a reasonable volume but struggle when the volume drops very low - say less than 100k 2m before post time.
Kai

PDC wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:47 pm
Same with football where the big tournaments and finals only count as a little bonus, have to trade the weaker weekly stuff where liquidity is split.

But I quite like the jump season for inplay, sometimes easy to forget there are 2 markets there. If ppl don't fancy the preoff stuff maybe have a look at that.
StellaBot

Thanks all for allowing me to learn from others here

And special shout out for Kai for not getting me possibly banned from this thread here
StellaBot

And I have tried to teach (is wrong word maybe) but inform others of things
jamesg46

:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emmson

Just had (for me) an outsized green on the nags, that helps my spirits after chainsawing a cricket green in the early hours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”