HOW exactly are you doing money?

The sport of kings.
Thisisgambling

THIS seems to be a very basic question but i really think that you guys need to be able to answer it in pretty simple terms, or otherwise it seems shady or even scammy to me. I am not accusing i just want to now. I have looked at pretty much all the videos from in the channel on youtube, but i have to say that there is not really any clear answer, therefore do i write here and hope that someone could be very kind and atleast hint me about where you guys are getting your edge.

I dont like sports, beside lifting heavy weights and screaming of frustration but otherwise NO.

So i started betting just to pursue the bonuses sites offer and it is profitable! Matched betting. You can even do a small profit from surebets but then you get banned from the sites. I think you guys are well informed about those things.

SO i started out to looking around on other ways to make a profit. I followed a bettor but i wasnt making any profit really.

THen i found this method, its pretty much sure bets but you won't get banned by a greedy bookie. lol

I was starting out by looking at oddsmonkey which horses is in red (possibility to surebet) the bookie will decrease the odds after hand, then the exchange follows and you can lay at lower prices. Worked well in the beginning but the today was a very bad day.

In poker you have variance, some periods are good and some periods are BAD (here you get angry and scream). But if you are a good player do you have an EDGE, and if this edge is bigger than the rake than are you actually making a profit. I never went up in stakes where i feelt that i made any significal money. HOWEVER if you are good do you have an edge, and the money comes from the bad player sooner or later.

Now do we have a market, where there are many people involved, you don't really know which motives those people have, who is backing and who is laying and so on.
All you have is the figures and the charts.
The line can go up and the line can go down, pretty much as in "real trading".
The problem here is that more and more voices are raising their voices and saying that profits in the "real markets" comes from sheer luck. Eugene Fama (a nobel prize winner) is recommending indexfunds because he is saying that investor are not doing better than index or a long time (where variance matter very little). And the data is telling us the same.

How do you guys making a steady profit, how exactly do you know if the graph will go down or if it will go up? How can you predict the future (the prices)?
Euler

I'm going to interject on this post to give you some basis on which the forum can respond.

This chap has been sending me comments on You Tube along the lines of stop now, before you go bust. To which I've pointed out that he's barking up the wrong tree as I've been doing it for 15 years and have no intention of stopping. Apparently I've been lucky and should stop immediately.

My final line was: -

"I think you have fallen into that classic trap of somebody that tried it and couldn't do it and are now looking for reasons why that is the case, rather than trying to understand how people are actually doing it. I went through the same situation when I tried to trade short term on financial markets and couldn't do it."

When I saw him post on the forum I thought, OK he hasn't learnt a thing from my dialogue which I don't really have time to give. So I thought, no actually I'm sure forum members will give an opinion balanced, fair and independent of mine.

But somehow I don't think we have a listener here despite whatever argument you counter with. But over to you guys!
Dallas

WOW so stunned by the original posters comments and the PM he has been sending - i am in agreement that he has already made his mind up already.

From his post it obviostly without doubt this is just another person wanting a "Get rich quick Scheme" to think you can trade and make a constant profit purely from following the odds from oddsmonkey is ridiculous - if this was possible world poverty would be erased within weeks and everyone would be millionaires by the end of next year.

I said it before and will say it again trading on the exchanges is NOT a get rich quick scheme it requires lots of hard work determination and disipline and from that you can find 100s of edges to make a good and constant long profit.
Thinking you can turn up randomly click a mouse a few times and make the same money that people doing it for years do and live the easy life is naive and insulting to those who have invested so many hard hours to learning all the mechanincs of the markets and how odds move what influences them etc etc.

Trying to tell PW that he will go bust one day is like me saying Ronaldo will be decalred bankrupt shortly if he does not get a 9-5 job because every game of football i have played i have not made a penny from! :lol: :lol:

I have laways belived anyone can make money from trading if they approch it in the right way and with the right expections but my advice to you would be to walk away now you clearly dont have the mental capicty to adapt to this so its best left to those with the right mindset.
Euler

If this turns into a rant, we may have to dismiss it as trolling and halt the thread, but I'll leave the forum to make its mind up on that.

Really we should all be focusing on the day ahead rather than justifying what we do for a living with somebody that doesn't want to understand it.

But I'd thought I'd give everybody a chance to comment if they wished.
Thisisgambling

Euler wrote:I'm going to interject on this post to give you some basis on which the forum can respond.

This chap has been sending me comments on You Tube along the lines of stop now, before you go bust. To which I've pointed out that he's barking up the wrong tree as I've been doing it for 15 years and have no intention of stopping. Apparently I've been lucky and should stop immediately.

My final line was: -

"I think you have fallen into that classic trap of somebody that tried it and couldn't do it and are now looking for reasons why that is the case, rather than trying to understand how people are actually doing it. I went through the same situation when I tried to trade short term on financial markets and couldn't do it."

When I saw him post on the forum I thought, OK he hasn't learnt a thing from my dialogue which I don't really have time to give. So I thought, no actually I'm sure forum members will give an opinion balanced, fair and independent of mine.

But somehow I don't think we have a listener here despite whatever argument you counter with. But over to you guys!
i do understand what a delicate situation this is, i as a "nobb" are approaching your guys who have done this for a long time and have invested a lot of time on it, it really takes a lot of openmindness from you guys. I on the other hand have no intrest in proving someone wrong, i would love to been proved wrong, because that means there is money in this "business".
I did listen on what you had to say. And i congratulate to your winnings and i thank you for letting me write in the forum.

I did rewatch the videos on youtube and i find something that is cloose to an approach, do not follow the bookmaker's price and base your decision on those, something i did succesfully in the beginning before it went down. And if this approach is flawed do i need to change tactics obviously, and there is where i am right now.

BUT i haven't find any strategy yet. Not here or anywhere else. When you are watching strategyvideos on poker do you find clear strategies, it's up to you to implement those strategies and most people fail to do so succesfully but there are atleast people giving your advice.
I haven't find anything similiar when it comes to trading on sports betting.

And i yes i understand that it takes work to be good at everything in the world, BUT there are voices saying that real trading is nothing more than gambling. Indexfunds outperm all those expoerts who seeing trends and understands the market. Now i understand that there are very much time and emotions invested in trading so a trader who have built there life on it will not admit this easily, it would mean that he would need to get a new job.

What i question is where the edge is, edge like in poker, or if this is just like a slot or real trading. To determine those things do i firstly need to know exactly what you experts are doing, or not really, i need to know what differs you from the losing guy.
It would be great if i could trust your authority on this but it doesnt hit the spot for me.
weemac

"Where is the edge, like the edge in poker?"

Fundamentally it's the same edge: Have more/better information, make better decisions and fewer mistakes than the other players, and you'll have an edge.
mcfc1981

u have to find the edge no one is going to give it to u.......they might point u in the right direction that's about it.
Thisisgambling

weemac wrote:"Where is the edge, like the edge in poker?"

Fundamentally it's the same edge: Have more/better information, make better decisions and fewer mistakes than the other players, and you'll have an edge.
OK. Then it is exactly like real trading and then i have to draw the conclusion *with e noble prize winner on my side. That everybody thinks he has a edge but in reality when you check the data he hasnt. I found a good interview in swedish with EUgene Fama, cant find it in english https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzkpkr7jA3o
the conclusions are said in english so you can go watch it anyway.

Eugene Fama says that everybody is thinking that he has an edge (this is human psychology) but in reality is the best option to just follow the market and choose indexfunds.
Euler

Warren Buffett is one of the richest men in the world. Eugene Fama is an academic and not one of the richest men in the world despite apparently knowing more than anybody else.

Who do you think is right? The person who did it, or the person who thought it was impossible?

http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-b ... 10-12?IR=T
weemac

It was 2 nobel prize winners in Economics who helped to lose about 5 billion dollars in Long Term Capital (Mis)Management.

So that tells you a lot about that silly little trinket of a prize.
Thisisgambling

Euler wrote:Warren Buffett is one of the richest men in the world. Eugene Fama is an academic and not one of the richest men in the world despite apparently knowing more than anybody else.

Who do you think is right? The person who did it, or the person who thought it was impossible?

http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-b ... 10-12?IR=T
Thanks for all the answers in the thread, like i said i am very openminded to all this, i dont care about having right or wrong so much as what is the truth.

Warren Buffett has also said that you are best placing your money in indexfunds. And he has been buying companies and other investments, not really trading shares is my understanding.

In the youtubecomments did i point at a bellcurve. There is ALWAYS people who are on both the right and left side of the vast majority. I am not saying that Buffett is just lucky, mostly because he has been working outside the "normal trading". BUT yes i am saying that most of the winners on the market is just lucky and so is Fama. I havent been looking so much at his work but i HAVE compared indexfunds to normal funds and the conclusion is that indexfunds really stands very good against all those experts.
gutuami

Thisisgambling wrote: I dont like sports, beside lifting heavy weights and screaming of frustration but otherwise NO.
imagine a newbie comes to you and ask "what's your edge. How come you can lift such heavy weights but I can't? What's your secret? I've watched so many instructional videos but still can't do it. Actually I don't like weight lifting but I'am sure you know some tricks that allow you showing good results without too much force and no injuries ..."

at least that's how your question sounds to me.
bennyboy351

Having done a bit of motorsport in years gone by, I have to agree with Gutuami. Everything has a learning curve. Did you get up and just walk? No you LEARNED to walk and speak and eat and - well you get the idea.....

Not liking sports may well not be a major problem, but, like in any other 'job', you're going to get more out of it IF you like what you're doing at least a little! And it HAS to help when looking for a trading edge.

I'm not a fotball fan and was never a big fan of horse racing either. Over the past 12 months though, I've watched a lot of horse racing whilst trading and it kind of grows on you!

Short answer, I reckon you HAVE to like what you're trading on (at least a little bit!) or you can't - and won't - give your trading the attention it both needs and deserves. :-)
Kai

Wait guys I speak troll, they only understand meme language.

Helo Thisisgambling, cool story bro. Do you even lift? Not sure if trolling or serious. One does not simply understand what is trading. Trading is ermahgerd, such wow, so amaze, much reward. What if i told you, there is money in trading. I used to be a pessimist too but then I took an arrow to the knee. I hope this clarifies the matter.
Naffman

The English mindset: If I can't do it, nobody can. People just seem to be so pessimistic here.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”