scalping - no longer worth doing?

The sport of kings.
Derek27

£200 is a lot of money for out of date advice!
Euler

The sell side of the industry knows that newbies love some definitive advice, some do this now type thing. Even if it is total rubbish. Don't see how that works long term though unless you can keep filling up the funnel. It's obvious unethical as well. But I don't see how it will ever change. Also people available to fill both sides of that equation.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:30 am
Kai wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:31 pm
Don't remember anymore, there were many blogs. Markets change, it's more important how markets trade today, not how they traded years ago.

I do remember making a long-winded post about scalping in particular somewhere a year or two ago, but it's not something newcomers can easily copy. Many markets are just not suited to scalping alone anymore, with weak liquidity/fillrates and increased volatility, it's much harder today.

The original author mentions a course he bought which is no longer available. That was because Richard came on my course, made careful notes and then published it as his own work.
Ah yes, the fondly remembered Peter Webb Masterclass. After attending it, I found it to be a gamechanger, no wonder everyone (except me) wanted to rip off the information offered after the course. The trading bible handout is still relevant with clear examples and explanations behind the strategies and how to best utilise the BA software...etc

If I remember correctly, someone else wrote a book after attending one of your courses too. :roll:

As already said, certain strategies are much harder to implement when compared to 5-8 years ago. (This more so for manual trading than automation/semi-automation trading)

I think any course(s) going forward should have a section on effective automation set ups/strategies than can be built on. I believe that's where the value really is.
Derek27

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:55 am
...no wonder everyone (except me) wanted to rip off the information offered after the course.
You threw away a great opportunity there. ;)
stueytrader

So, rather back to the original thread issue - are you all swing traders (mostly) these days then?
Euler

stueytrader wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:03 pm
So, rather back to the original thread issue - are you all swing traders (mostly) these days then?
Apart from the very early days I've always used a variety of strategies. Scalping has always worked, just not in the way a lot of people have presented.
Korattt

although not for me scalping does work.. you just need to find the ideal opportunity & situation to implement it
Derek27

Scalping is like picking up money off the streets. If you see an opportunity to pick up a fiver, pick it up, but don't waste your time roaming the streets looking for opportunities. :)
Trader Pat

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:55 am
Ah yes, the fondly remembered Peter Webb Masterclass. After attending it, I found it to be a gamechanger, no wonder everyone (except me) wanted to rip off the information offered after the course. The trading bible handout is still relevant with clear examples and explanations behind the strategies and how to best utilise the BA software...etc
Still have mine 👍
stueytrader

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:28 pm
Scalping is like picking up money off the streets. If you see an opportunity to pick up a fiver, pick it up, but don't waste your time roaming the streets looking for opportunities. :)
Yep, and I presume to keep a look out for those steamrollers while picking up those street pennies! :o
The Silk Run

Scalping pre-race Horse Racing markets was my flight-path to trading. Thoroughly enjoyed it but parked it just before the pandemic reigned on us all !!!
rik

Automated maybe lets be honest scalping needs a lot of patience
jamesg46

I’ve always been sceptical of scalping as a strategy but that’s probably because I’m not effective at doing it. Mentality if I can’t, nobody can sort of thing.

I’ve come to realise that it doesn’t suit me, I’m too lazy to focus or I just don’t know where to implement it… but that’s me and I’m sure there are plenty making money from it.
Derek27

The Silk Run wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:21 pm
Scalping pre-race Horse Racing markets was my flight-path to trading. Thoroughly enjoyed it but parked it just before the pandemic reigned on us all !!!
Yes, that pandemic that killed off scalping several years ago was awful.
Geordie

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:43 pm
Still have mine 👍
Me too. Time to revisit it to see what ideas it gives me 👍

Return to “Trading Horse racing”