scalping - no longer worth doing?

The sport of kings.
Kai

Well, scalping 1 tick at a time with a single stake (how people usually perceive it) is generally not very efficient, by the time you get that 1 tick you could have maybe gotten 3 or 4 with a market making approach etc. Have to apply some logic and ask yourself what are you trying to scalp here, the market noise or the trend or what? On big volume markets 1 tick is good enough with larger stakes if you're patient enough, especially at higher prices where individual ticks are actually worth something, unlike the ticks below 3 or 2.

But speaking of logic again, if adryan87 above tries to scalp a swingy market then this doesn't sound very logical at all, if the price can swing back and forth with such ease at these types of swingy ranges then why on Earth would anyone want to try and scalp 1 tick at a time there, when you break it down it sounds like an extremely naive approach.

How I see it the goal with scalping is to win a similar amount of ticks like you would from a swing trade, on markets that DON'T present swing opportunities. But many probably see it as a generic strategy to use on every market!

Goes without saying that some markets are just plain shit as well, not liquid enough to scalp and without clear-cut swing opportunities, but it's not like somebody is forcing you to trade them. Discarding shit markets is believe it or not a +EV approach :D
Realrocknrolla

Kai wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:32 pm
Well, scalping 1 tick at a time with a single stake (how people usually perceive it) is generally not very efficient, by the time you get that 1 tick you could have maybe gotten 3 or 4 with a market making approach etc. Have to apply some logic and ask yourself what are you trying to scalp here, the market noise or the trend or what? On big volume markets 1 tick is good enough with larger stakes if you're patient enough, especially at higher prices where individual ticks are actually worth something, unlike the ticks below 3 or 2.

But speaking of logic again, if adryan87 above tries to scalp a swingy market then this doesn't sound very logical at all, if the price can swing back and forth with such ease at these types of swingy ranges then why on Earth would anyone want to try and scalp 1 tick at a time there, when you break it down it sounds like an extremely naive approach.

How I see it the goal with scalping is to win a similar amount of ticks like you would from a swing trade, on markets that DON'T present swing opportunities. But many probably see it as a generic strategy to use on every market!

Goes without saying that some markets are just plain shit as well, not liquid enough to scalp and without clear-cut swing opportunities, but it's not like somebody is forcing you to trade them. Discarding shit markets is believe it or not a +EV approach :D
Love the terminology.

Generally speaking discarding shit is good all round! 😉😂
wstewart

Hi guys

Good thread for someone like me.

I trade crypto but I'm looking to get into the sports markets using auto(or semi) automation and trades that get me a decent amount of ticks. That it would seem to me would be swing trading??

I am doing the good old fashioned, not very effective older style, scalping and I am doing this as I go through some materials that I have.
It's a good way to see how the market moves etc.

I obviously am no good at it and sometimes I win and sometimes I don't. I am in practice mode on B Angel and the thing is I don't know why I won or lost but I think it is down to sheer luck - good or bad.

Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of learning material please?

I am looking to do this full time as I already do that in crypto but it doesn't take up much of my time.

I would prefer coaching but I am completely unsure where or even who does it.

Any help would be appreciated and even if it was a list of things not to do as it will save me time will be helpful.

Regards

William...
wilf

If you're new, I would recommend focussing on swing trading, as I find there are a lot more opportunities. Even if you scalp and get one tick, then on the next trade it could go right through you, and then you've lost 5 ticks. If you're just trying to get one tick in every trade on every market, you'll just end up with a headache.

If you're looking to scalp, then these are the points to do it. It's just solid at 10's and with it being a crossover point even better risk vs reward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wstewart

Thanks wilf, appreciate that.

I'm already looking at swing trading and got Peters free course to look at.

It doesn't take long to figure out that scalping goes up n down and there's no stability in it.

Taking a position then trading it out is my thinking and along with some experience I think that's where I'll be heading.

Swing trading for me in crypto is from 1 or 2 days to a few weeks at most. I know swing trading here is in a market that lasts 10-20 minutes or even less.

W
cyxstudio

jesus....how old is this? it got bumped?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”