At What Point Should I Just Give up

The sport of kings.
Thebest147

Practice mode is a false reading on the market.imho
You could spend weeks months even researching a system to no avail.take in running and you had a back to lay system you could in practice mode have £100 at 20 and get matched and green up all good.but in real time there might not be more then £ 11 available at them odds so all you have is unmatched bets all over the show.ao I would be careful when going down the practice mode root. Ps is there a way to check data from every odds on fave that drifts it can only drift so far before it is a value bet or bookies are not willing to let it go off to high.only a thought but if you backed drifter at the sp and layed them back were there was a grand matched at the bottom of it range would that be value
prestburydreams

Always a tone of smugness on here along with good advice if u could make a living by flicking a switch on a computer I would think you would be feeling smug to you can't blame them its an area in life where they can look you in the eye and say computer says no

The community is for people to gloat and show boat their success whilst also offer a little sound advice

I don't believe there is any further you need to look then this if your average winning trade is 3 quid you can't keep taking 10 pound losses and go in running and blowing banks

The biggest edge a pro trader has is his mindset the best of them make losing trades they have just learned not to throw the kitchen sink at it in running and the next race in my opinion if you can't learn to lose you will never ever win long term and feel the full force of the smugness mindset

This is not a poke a the pro traders as success breeds confidence and confidence breeds arrogance which is normal when you have put the hard work in and learned to walk the walk you can definitely talk the talk good luck fella
prestburydreams

I'm not a fan of practice mode either it does not trade like the real time markets in my opinion I have used it a few times and definitely found the stakes get matched fully most of the time and i was making money where as in real time I found the markets much more volatile and losing money the only positive I found with practice mode was if u keep randomly clicking the wrong side of the market a newbie with a 2 k bank can see how u can get into real quick and real big losses if u keep laying and expecting the market to turn and it keeps coming through you

I wouldn't think you get future property moguls seriously basing the strategy on a few games of monopoly though
to75ne

just out of curiosity why have you resurrected a thread that as been dormant (effectively dead) for the think end of 2 1/2 years, what is the reason?
Derek27

to75ne wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 pm
just out of curiosity why have you resurrected a thread that as been dormant (effectively dead) for the think end of 2 1/2 years, what is the reason?
I thought for a moment Luke was thinking of giving up. ;)
Black Ladder

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 pm
to75ne wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 pm
I thought for a moment Luke was thinking of giving up. ;)
I think he lost direction Derek. He thought he was on FleaBay ...
rik

luke not giving up anytime soon still got the beginners enthusiasm
westbamtrading

This is what I did:

1) Acceptance - Just because others can, doesn't mean I can

2) Stopped beating myself up - I Just found a different way, and let's be honest, there is never a lack of opportunities in trading!

3) Stay positive - I haven't given up on trading, I simply gave up on what wasn't working for me.

4) Be Patient - I never had the mentality that 'Trading' was going to be easy, or that I'd be able to quit my job next week.

5) Start small - minimum trade is 50p ..its better than using the Demo account IMO and you can work with that until you have something that resembles a positive system of trading.

Personally, I had to look at the past. I gambled heavily in the early 2,000, but I had so much success that I actually gave up work. For reasons I won't go into here, I stopped (noting sinister). But TBH, financially, it was the best time in my life.

So I took a break from Horse Racing, looked back at what I used to do and realized that none of that success came from Horse Racing, so why was I doing it now?

So now I'm doing what I used to do 20 years ago with the added bonus that comes with trading. October 2019 has been the most successful trading month ever, by a huge margin. For me I just had to accept that there's more to trading than Horse Racing .. and now seeing my account grow I'm OK with that. It's not just matter of trading in other markets, but I had to change how I traded. After some testing I'm now very confident in what I'm doing, and I don't look at the horses at all because I have no need to.
threedogs

It isnt the entry point thats important
Nobody really knows which way a market will go
Its how you trade that counts
If it goes your way ride it til it levels out then get out with a profit
If it goes against you scratch the trade or get out fast with a minimal loss
If you get more right than wrong you are in profit
goat68

threedogs wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm
Can't believe entry is not important. Sure you need to be able to ride your winners, although current markets this week I would beg to disagree with that too, my bot hasn't picked up on any trends, and most markets have been dead line... So far this week i've just seen small swings up and back again for a big fat 0!
goat68

threedogs wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm
You know "edges" run out, maybe this big "ride your winners" hype since everyone is trying to do it, means it doesn't happen...
Realrocknrolla

You will never know how far you could have gone if you quit!
Last edited by Realrocknrolla on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Realrocknrolla

DDFEFB94-1D69-4731-81EA-649233802A3F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iggypop37

I come from a matched betting/arbing background for many years, I also have some knowledge of how and why the money goes down, not on betfair, but in retail settings shall we say, learning to trade the gee gees however purely on betfair is all very different.

I think if I was to start trading again, I'd deffo look at soccer first.

But - you only need one edge to set you on your way .....
eightbo

don't give up; journal + pivot

Return to “Trading Horse racing”