Non-standard race times to be trialled in February 2020

The sport of kings.
Derek27

Despite non-standard times today they still found a half-hour gap between the last two at Wincanton, with Kempton starting after.
firlandsfarm

I don't understand what is so complicated about scheduling races. Why do race meetings have to be in the afternoon, why not start them a little earlier as they do in the middle of winter when the days are short? If non standard times means less than 5 minutes between races on busy days then the chance of clashes is enhanced unless they start on time and it's already said that a horse does not understand time so the organisers have three choice … the race will start late (angry punters), the horse does not run (angry owners) or they horses leave the paddock earlier (angry jockeys). So they choose which group they are prepared to upset and deal with it or … they start the meeting earlier. Note: If the races start late they will more likely clash! :lol:
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:06 pm
I don't understand what is so complicated about scheduling races. Why do race meetings have to be in the afternoon, why not start them a little earlier as they do in the middle of winter when the days are short? If non standard times means less than 5 minutes between races on busy days then the chance of clashes is enhanced unless they start on time and it's already said that a horse does not understand time so the organisers have three choice … the race will start late (angry punters), the horse does not run (angry owners) or they horses leave the paddock earlier (angry jockeys). So they choose which group they are prepared to upset and deal with it or … they start the meeting earlier. Note: If the races start late they will more likely clash! :lol:
Late-night racing is quite is quite hard on jockeys who may not get home until midnight and still have to be up early. Early racing could pose the same problems.
spreadbetting

Today's race times have just been a mess as usual. Never any web pages to show any changes to race times and it makes no difference as they still go off late :)

With this ridiculous new format I never know if this Ludlow 4:00 is delayed or simply late, I'd be surprised if the betting shop punters want this new format and I've no idea why they seem to have pushed back start times for a couple of meetings today when the only clashing meetings are Meydan and Clonmel/Newcastle and we all know the Irish won't move their times to accommodate anyone.
Last edited by spreadbetting on Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek27

Can anyone explain the logic of having a 14:42 at Musselburgh when the prev/next races were 14:30 and 14:50?

Same with the 15:17! Perhaps it's their last day of non-standard race times so they have to be non-standard, even if it's for no benefit.
spreadbetting

Taunton was abandoned so they needed to have some silly times and start delaying races to annoy the punters by asking them wait an extra 5 minutes for no need
Dallas

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:04 pm
Can anyone explain the logic of having a 14:42 at Musselburgh when the prev/next races were 14:30 and 14:50?

Same with the 15:17! Perhaps it's their last day of non-standard race times so they have to be non-standard, even if it's for no benefit.
The removal of Taunton has likely caused them to appear skewed
spreadbetting

The Taunton meeting would have been factored into the silly timings so nothing was to be gained by moving them, I'm sure everyone would have coped with that extra 5 minute break between races
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:55 pm
Late-night racing is quite is quite hard on jockeys who may not get home until midnight and still have to be up early. Early racing could pose the same problems.
They rarely get congestion with evening meetings and I appreciate the late finish/early start problem but we would probably be speaking less than an hour early (30 mins early would be sufficient to allow an extra 5 mins between races in a 6 race meeting) and no one is forcing them! The same applies to anyone paid on a time/job count basis … you balance your work time and quality of life.
PDC

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:01 pm
Never any web pages to show any changes to race times
You need to look at the BHA Stewards twitter feed, they publish them on there always and in plenty of time.

I am a big fan of these non standard times. It has helped massively avoid clashes but obviously requires tracks to stick to their off times.
Dublin_Flyer

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:04 pm

Could be to do with projections in a crazy long day with 9+ meetings during a summer month when there's 3 races off at once, trying to limit it down to 2 at once, or jeepers.....they'll never get it down to 1 at a time, but bless them they're pretending to try!
dt888

Back to this today I see. I’m not a fan at all
TraderFred

dt888 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:29 am
I quite liked it in February, thought it worked quite well. The thing I hate when there are clashes is when you don’t know what’s going on. For example if there is a 1500 Lingfield, and a 1455 3m chase at ffos las, sometimes they decide to hold on, sometimes they decide to jump.

It’s frustrating when you don’t know what they are doing and they switch to the race as they are coming out of the stalls. And I find it equally frustrating when I close all my positions before scheduled off time, just to find them meandering around at the start and realise I’ve missed out on another 4 or 5 good minutes trading.

At least you know where you are and what’s happening with these new times. Though I guess they are not for everybody, and the same problems still exist when one meeting gets delayed or runs late anyway.
spreadbetting

dt888 wrote:
Me neither, they'd be much better of solving their problems of poor race planning and courses that continually go off late, silly start times don't address any of the real problems.
firlandsfarm

dt888 wrote:
Can't see the point of it until they can get races off on time … How is a race timed for 14:42 any different than a race timed at 14:40 if they don't start until 14:44? They would do better to have 2 racecards … one for the public with a time of 14:44 and one for the horses with a time of 14:40, that would be more accurate!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”