Non-standard race times to be trialled in February 2020

The sport of kings.
PDC

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:15 pm
I'd imagine the BHA have told the courses to stick to the times today, no delaying for other courses to see how things pan out.
Seems that way, Wetherby 2:45pm race didnt wait at all for the previous race to finish despite having a 10 minute gap so easily could have waited the required minute or two.

Overall so far I am a fan of the staggered times but it is esssential all tracks stick to their off time, this might happen in the small trial days but if it became the norm I am sure the tracks would return to the norm of going off as and when they want.
spreadbetting

I find it annoying as I'm so used to races starting on the 5 minute slots, even have a few clocks set around the house so I can get to the PC with 2 miins to the off if needed. With the new times that messes it up for me as I can't be lazy and will now have to remember what time the next is off :x Hopefully they'll only use it on the busy days like Saturday where it's non stop racing.
Dallas

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:58 pm
I find it annoying as I'm so used to races starting on the 5 minute slots, even have a few clocks set around the house so I can get to the PC with 2 miins to the off if needed. With the new times that messes it up for me as I can't be lazy and will now have to remember what time the next is off :x Hopefully they'll only use it on the busy days like Saturday where it's non stop racing.
I'm now picturing your house looking like the opening scene from Back to the Future :lol:
PDC

Dallas wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:10 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:58 pm
I'm now picturing your house looking like the opening scene from Back to the Future :lol:
https://youtu.be/3isQI0nXQRE?t=35

:D

I thought you just ran bots SB? Didn't realise you manually trade as well on the horses.
spreadbetting

Most is automated, PDC, but I still trade the UK races most days. I only ever play a couple of minutes out though, so I'm generally pottering around doing other things and have visible clocks in the garage, kitchen ,etc. Always easy to get to the PC if races are going off at the old 5 minute times, these days I'll have to try and remember start times as well as looking at clocks :(

I just couldn't maintain the concentration needed to be trading each race after the previous has finished, done it in the past and you're worn out by the end of the day especially with night racing etc. So I just play a couple of minutes out when things are easier to spot for me. If I'm at the PC too long i find the devil finds work for idle hands and I end up sticking in stupid speculative trades that don't pay their way.
PDC

Its a pretty limited trial so shouldn't cause you too many headaches:
There are 11 days in February on which non-standard race times will be in use, consisting of five Saturdays and six weekdays.
I suspect though it will be adopted as it is a no brainer really.
PDC

I am a big fan of these changes, it will be a real shame if they aren't introduced and also used more widely with a bit of refining.

They are working really well.
napshnap

PDC wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:28 pm
I am a big fan of these changes, it will be a real shame if they aren't introduced and also used more widely with a bit of refining.

They are working really well.
Why? More comfortable, more trading opportunities?

For me, workflow feels more smooth now without clashes, but I can't say my profits increased yet.
PDC

Very few clashes compared to what we would have had with standard times. Also you get to see a minute or two before the race which you wouldn't otherwise.
spreadbetting

Be glad when this trial ends, hopefully they won't continue with it just ensure tracks keep to times
Derek27

Despite non-standard times today they still found a half-hour gap between the last two at Wincanton, with Kempton starting after.
firlandsfarm

I don't understand what is so complicated about scheduling races. Why do race meetings have to be in the afternoon, why not start them a little earlier as they do in the middle of winter when the days are short? If non standard times means less than 5 minutes between races on busy days then the chance of clashes is enhanced unless they start on time and it's already said that a horse does not understand time so the organisers have three choice … the race will start late (angry punters), the horse does not run (angry owners) or they horses leave the paddock earlier (angry jockeys). So they choose which group they are prepared to upset and deal with it or … they start the meeting earlier. Note: If the races start late they will more likely clash! :lol:
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:06 pm
I don't understand what is so complicated about scheduling races. Why do race meetings have to be in the afternoon, why not start them a little earlier as they do in the middle of winter when the days are short? If non standard times means less than 5 minutes between races on busy days then the chance of clashes is enhanced unless they start on time and it's already said that a horse does not understand time so the organisers have three choice … the race will start late (angry punters), the horse does not run (angry owners) or they horses leave the paddock earlier (angry jockeys). So they choose which group they are prepared to upset and deal with it or … they start the meeting earlier. Note: If the races start late they will more likely clash! :lol:
Late-night racing is quite is quite hard on jockeys who may not get home until midnight and still have to be up early. Early racing could pose the same problems.
spreadbetting

Today's race times have just been a mess as usual. Never any web pages to show any changes to race times and it makes no difference as they still go off late :)

With this ridiculous new format I never know if this Ludlow 4:00 is delayed or simply late, I'd be surprised if the betting shop punters want this new format and I've no idea why they seem to have pushed back start times for a couple of meetings today when the only clashing meetings are Meydan and Clonmel/Newcastle and we all know the Irish won't move their times to accommodate anyone.
Last edited by spreadbetting on Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek27

Can anyone explain the logic of having a 14:42 at Musselburgh when the prev/next races were 14:30 and 14:50?

Same with the 15:17! Perhaps it's their last day of non-standard race times so they have to be non-standard, even if it's for no benefit.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”