Aussie racing pics

The sport of kings.
Wildly

Heisenberg wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:10 am
abgespaced wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:54 am
Starting a syndicate to purchase this technology. Who wants in? :lol:
I know someone who offered Sky well into the 6 figure range a year or so ago and they got laughed at.
With what has happened to the markets your somebody should be glad their offer was refused.
The markets have been reduced to those with the fast pics betting at very short prices late in the race and some layers figuring the fast pic folk will get it wrong occasionally.
Heisenberg

Wildly wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:25 am
Heisenberg wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:10 am
abgespaced wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:54 am
Starting a syndicate to purchase this technology. Who wants in? :lol:
I know someone who offered Sky well into the 6 figure range a year or so ago and they got laughed at.
With what has happened to the markets your somebody should be glad their offer was refused.
The markets have been reduced to those with the fast pics betting at very short prices late in the race and some layers figuring the fast pic folk will get it wrong occasionally.
Yes, was definitely a blessing in disguise.

The flip side is that whoever has the fast pics is dead set hopeless at race reading but it's pretty much impossible to lose with that sort of advantage. The $1.01 layers at the front of the queue must think all of their Christmases have come at once however.
abgespaced

Until they figure out a way to automate their betting with the live pictures, I'm confident there will be enough human error to provide value for some time to come.
spreadbetting

TPD provide data ahead of the pictures but not sure if that's available or used for AUS racing.

Edit: just checked the courses and only UK and US for now http://www.totalperformancedata.com/
abgespaced

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:53 am
TPD provide data ahead of the pictures but not sure if that's available or used for AUS racing.

Edit: just checked the courses and only UK and US for now http://www.totalperformancedata.com/
Fascinating. That must be a huge edge for those of you in the UK. If you can afford it of course. I wonder what impact that would have here in Aus if it was introduced. No doubt it would be monopolised by the elite.
EDIT: Just realised they probably have something like this here already because you see the position of the runners in the overlay. Like the low-latency video feed, wouldn't be hard to flog it off to the highest bidder.
spreadbetting

Not sure it's that expensive, I was offered one of the licences but no use to me as I'm not that good a coder so be wasted on me. I'd guess a few on the forum have been given them by Betfair.
Heisenberg

There is a similar service in operation in Australia, no idea if it's available commercially but I wouldn't touch it even if it was. Just have to look at the NSW races, horses are forever losing or damaging their transponder (nothing like seeing your horse leading on the graphic only to have a horse 6 lengths ahead of it!). Plus there are regularly discrepancies, you often see a horse shown zooming from the tail to the lead and back again within seconds. The potential is there, but it would need to be refined a great deal for it to be usable.

There are interfaces available (forget the abbreviation, it's 3 letters I think... Optical something something?) where if you have quick pictures, or any pictures at all for that matter, the program can identify relative positions and speeds etc, effectively the best of both worlds. You'd probably still need quick pics for it to be playable though.
spreadbetting

I was told it's very reliable these days, think they use 2 or 3 GPS transponders. I have the API docs somewhere, I'll try and dig them out. basically you get the GPS coordinates of each course and streaming data of the horses GPS location and match them all up, was beyond my capabilities so I passed on it for now but was told the people using it are doing well. Just UK and some US courses at the moment.
BigToad

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/racing/ ... 56bit.html
Betfair inplay market will be dead in 12 months if its not soughted out-people are still trading off these pics so my inplay wagering is near non existent currently.I wonder if Betfair have had a word to these people/account holders?
abgespaced

BigToad wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:47 am
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/racing/ ... 56bit.html
Betfair inplay market will be dead in 12 months if its not soughted out-people are still trading off these pics so my inplay wagering is near non existent currently.I wonder if Betfair have had a word to these people/account holders?
Yeah they are trading faster than the race caller can call it in real time. Absurd. Makes me wonder who's money they are collecting. They'll probably just cannibalise themselves to extinction and the market will be dead as you say. The only way out is to provide the same technology for everyone, but that won't happen until the vultures have feasted.
JA89

I'm tracksiding at the Gold Coast today and I've made the grand total of $24 in the first 4 races 😂 It's just impossible now, 12 months ago I'd pick up $500 over the course of the meeting easily.

I'm now torn on whether it's fast pic guys or something else. I did a test and I've got 2 bets on with the TAB 1-2 seconds after they jumped, and they undoubtedly have the fastest pics available. They are suspending at least a second after they jump, and probably a bit more than that. I know reaction time plays a part but it also plays a part when I placed the bets that were accepted which cancels things out somewhat.

So if their pics are still 1+ seconds behind live and I'm watching live and still getting smashed, what the hell could it be? I don't think my race reading skills are in question. Maybe as theorised earlier someone had access to trakus or similar and has a really freaking good bot. I honestly have no idea. I'll persist and see if I can win my dinner money over the rest of the meeting lol.
Lutruwita

The market is very sharp today, no doubt. I got cleaned up late one race at the GC. Didn't expect it to be so sharp.
JA89

Funny thing is that races 1 and 3 were in doubt until the final couple of strides, and to a lesser extent race 4 which would normally be a big advantage for the tracksider. Race 2 the winner was obvious from 200m out yet it was my best result of the day, if you can call a few bucks a "best result"
Lutruwita

They picked the bones out of Prometheus
rik

Aarondewit wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 am
The market is very sharp today, no doubt. I got cleaned up late one race at the GC. Didn't expect it to be so sharp.
you were placing back bets on the home straight? how much do you think you are behind?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”