Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
goat68

I do realise now, it's all about finding "value" in the long term, but that is very difficult to know. Peter's Betdaq video clip, basically says bet at a good "price", obvious really, but how do you know?
goat68

"value" is basically "net opinion price", so to know whether there is value you've got to know on average who else is having an opinion...and what they are thinking... "crystal ball" time, impossible!
goat68

well not quite, it's psychology, you can have a rough idea based on crowd psychology
goat68

but then that's very difficult to automate... manual and soft "brain" skills help a lot there. I only have time for automation, so maybe this is the end for me :?:
goat68

anyway, 800 more posts til I get to the "inner circle"....
goat68

800 !
goat68

not 799
goat68

Just been doing some "inplay" thinking... take this scenario:
- Typical flat 10 horse 1m race
- 2furlongs left horse1 is 6 lengths clear, price is 1.2
Is that "value" or not?
The answer has to be you haven't got a clue! Unless you really know how good horse2,3,4,5 are doing and have left in them from "fundamentals"
You could assume 1.2 is neutral value and offer 1.5 for 5 seconds, but 5seconds later horses 2,3 may close sharply, and at that time 1.5 is now no longer value.... So with my "crystal ball" 1.2 was in fact great Lay value, as fundamentally horses 2,3 had it in them...
So it all comes down to "fundamentals" really...?
Tetras

goat68 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:30 pm
Is that "value" or not?
The answer has to be you haven't got a clue! Unless you really know how good horse2,3,4,5 are doing and have left in them from "fundamentals"
You could assume 1.2 is neutral value and offer 1.5 for 5 seconds, but 5seconds later horses 2,3 may close sharply, and at that time 1.5 is now no longer value.... So with my "crystal ball" 1.2 was in fact great Lay value, as fundamentally horses 2,3 had it in them...
So it all comes down to "fundamentals" really...?
One of the markets I think Peter has said to be careful in the past, is with late withdrawals, because the market can go crazy, but in-play that's where a lot of the opportunity is (movement, I mean). In the example you gave, you're unlikely to get any of that stake out (not before you know what's going to happen), so you'd need a reason to get involved. It doesn't matter what the reason is.
ShaunWhite

Don't get hung up on what you see as the differences are between manual trading and 'value' betting. Looking for difference rather than commonality is a manual traders mindset.

When you've traded some more you'll see that all 'trading' is value betting under the skin either by design or accident. When you back at -3mins and lay at post time and make 50p or whatever, those bets do actually run, 'hedging' doesn't make them vanish it's just yet another bet. And anyone that's betted knows there's only one way placing bets can be done profitably. Think about how manual traders do it by happy accident and you'll see how how people do it by design.
decomez6

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:55 am
Don't get hung up on what you see as the differences are between manual trading and 'value' betting. Looking for difference rather than commonality is a manual traders mindset.

When you've traded some more you'll see that all 'trading' is value betting under the skin either by design or accident. When you back at -3mins and lay at post time and make 50p or whatever, those bets do actually run, 'hedging' doesn't make them vanish it's just yet another bet. And anyone that's betted knows there's only one way placing bets can be done profitably. Think about how manual traders do it by happy accident and you'll see how how people do it by design.
i think correlation is peter`s best open secret which in esence factors in commonality and differecnces (+Ve OR -Ve).
Value can be statistically proven, its the reason why the market exist , depending on which side of the book , traded Mkt volume consists of buyers and sellers in equal amounts.

question is ? what is one`s position in the market?

i believe its always good to stear your boat towards a neautral point, just like the beginning of every football match, the ball is placed in the middle, then start from there building outwards.
you then deploy your tactics depending on what the market throws at you . its a good thing to have a well rehearsed gameplan ,otherwise your fate will be sealed by randomness, which is the first lesson you should master before venturing into the unknown.

Goat "randomness wont fool you it will only make you wiser"
Anbell

ShaunWhite wrote:
When you've traded some more you'll see that all 'trading' is value betting under the skin either by design or accident. When you back at -3mins and lay at post time and make 50p or whatever, those bets do actually run, 'hedging' doesn't make them vanish it's just yet another bet.
I mean, you're not wrong, technically.

But one person's 'hedging' is another person's 'closing a position.'

And 'closing a position' is ok, and it's ok to think about it in those terms.
Jukebox

goat68 wrote:
Is that "value" or not?...........
If you are doing this sort of thing you might want to consider just how far behind the live action things really might be - travelling at close to 0.10 furlongs per second in the closing stages with say a 2 second feed delay and a 2 second bet delay and presumably looking to see if the 'check engine' light is glowing on etc - I haven't done the calcs for horse lengths per second.
ShaunWhite

Anbell wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
When you've traded some more you'll see that all 'trading' is value betting under the skin either by design or accident. When you back at -3mins and lay at post time and make 50p or whatever, those bets do actually run, 'hedging' doesn't make them vanish it's just yet another bet.
I mean, you're not wrong, technically.

But one person's 'hedging' is another person's 'closing a position.'

And 'closing a position' is ok, and it's ok to think about it in those terms.
Yep nothing wrong with hedging/closing/reducing. I was just saying that when you do it you're still left holding a portfolio of bets on the race and over the year betting needs value. Fortunately start time prices are correct so your hedge bet isn't a bad one. Same result, two ways to get there, moves (accidental value finding) or value (deliberate value finding).
wearthefoxhat

Jukebox wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:00 am
goat68 wrote:
Is that "value" or not?...........
If you are doing this sort of thing you might want to consider just how far behind the live action things really might be - travelling at close to 0.10 furlongs per second in the closing stages with say a 2 second feed delay and a 2 second bet delay and presumably looking to see if the 'check engine' light is glowing on etc - I haven't done the calcs for horse lengths per second.
Timings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”