Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 pm
Effort vs reward is definitely in doubt, I suspect Lidl pay better!
At least Lidl (and Waitrose too if we're not to unduly charterise) pay minimum wage rather than you paying them.
goat68

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:04 pm
goat68 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 pm
Effort vs reward is definitely in doubt, I suspect Lidl pay better!
At least Lidl (and Waitrose too if we're not to unduly charterise) pay minimum wage rather than you paying them.
Precisely!
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:11 pm
Difficult game this greyhound "bot fight"... very frustrating
but thinking about it it's mainly a bot game, there's 100s of bots trading against each other
I've started from the bottom and need to get to the top 10, what are my chances ?!
Getting to the top 5% definitely isn't easy. But why would you think a bot heavy market would be harder than others? There's probably as many bad bots as bad manual punters/traders.

It's fairly standard for people who struggle to look for an external reason, bots, syndicates, spoofing, manipulation etc but the harsh reality is that success or failure is entirely in your own hands. But that's the beauty of trading, it's a meritocracy. It's about your own achievements rather than getting a leg up because you've got the right school tie.
goat68

Trying not to be sexist, but from videos of trading conferences ive seen in the past, it's about 99% males, why would that be?
Kai

goat68 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:25 pm
Trying not to be sexist, but from videos of trading conferences ive seen in the past, it's about 99% males, why would that be?
Trying very much to be sexist here but from what I've seen in the past they think it's more fun spending money rather than making it?
Trader Pat

goat68 wrote:
Probably because women are far more sensible and much less impulsive than men
Tetras

goat68 wrote:
Difficult game this greyhound "bot fight"... very frustrating
but thinking about it it's mainly a bot game, there's 100s of bots trading against each other
I've started from the bottom and need to get to the top 10, what are my chances ?!
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole botting thing, but isn't your bot now only placing bets based on a model? To me, that's more like placing a bet to a schedule, not 'trading'.
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Do you really need to ask why there's more men at an event that's about sport, money, tech and nerdy obsession? Those events are catnip !

Chuck in self-indulgent pipedreams and voilà, a room full of male pattern baldness. :)
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
If you "need" the money then Squid Game would be a softer option.
Derek27

320 pages now and you're asking what your chances are of having a successful bot, and even why there are more men in the trade than women!

I spent a decade in betting shops but never question why women don't go in there because a woman never appeared so I couldn't ask her. ;)
Emmson

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:58 am
320 pages now and you're asking what your chances are of having a successful bot, and even why there are more men in the trade than women!

I spent a decade in betting shops but never question why women don't go in there because a woman never appeared so I couldn't ask her. ;)
Whenever I walk past a bookies these days there is usually visible 1 member of staff and 1 customer. I'm not talking about leafy Surrey either but Newcastle upon Tyne - I just don't know how that is economically viable.
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:11 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:58 am

Whenever I walk past a bookies these days there is usually visible 1 member of staff and 1 customer. I'm not talking about leafy Surrey either but Newcastle upon Tyne - I just don't know how that is economically viable.
The last time I've been in a bookie was when Coral restricted me. I just had a couple hundred in the account so I popped into the local Coral to withdraw it in cash. There were two members of staff behind the counter and only one customer, but that customer was on an FOBT, so I could see where they were getting their money from. :)
ShaunWhite

Emmson wrote:
]
The shops used to be so much more than just bookmakers. Theyd be full of old fellas saving on their own heating bill, talking to mates all day, watching the free telly and having the odd 50p on.. They were a great social club for older men where if someone was missing someone would go and find out why. Then they started charging for tea, made them nonsmoking and all clinical instead of sightly dog eared and welcoming. It all sounds like jumpers for goalposts but if you ever spent days on end in the bookies back then you'll know what I mean. Tragic loss imo. What now, sat on your own at home.

If bookies want to be ecomomcally viable then stick some sofas in and make it a coffee shop/pub type vibe where its not just about betting where men feel welcome and not just like a cash machine.
goat68

Merry 1st day of advent, i hope day 1 brought you some joy?
I was hoping for a guide on model making, got a travel bottle of shampoo!
Realrocknrolla

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:14 am
Emmson wrote:
]
The shops used to be so much more than just bookmakers. Theyd be full of old fellas saving on their own heating bill, talking to mates all day, watching the free telly and having the odd 50p on.. They were a great social club for older men where if someone was missing someone would go and find out why. Then they started charging for tea, made them nonsmoking and all clinical instead of sightly dog eared and welcoming. It all sounds like jumpers for goalposts but if you ever spent days on end in the bookies back then you'll know what I mean. Tragic loss imo. What now, sat on your own at home.

If bookies want to be ecomomcally viable then stick some sofas in and make it a coffee shop/pub type vibe where its not just about betting where men feel welcome and not just like a cash machine.
Love that post and get exactly what you mean. Lucky for me there is a independent company near me that has that same feel. The high st ones are shit now.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”