Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
speedyhamster

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:00 pm
speedyhamster wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:42 pm
That makes perfect sense to me as once the person goes above there emotional threshold, the brain will shut off the higher brain functions which seriously effects the ability to think straight .
But when your subconscious mind automatically handles this (in the zone) this will not be a problem.
For me the going in play just disappeared, I stopped doing it and stopped getting the urge to do it. No idea why!

But I stopped getting emotionally attached to the trades for I think 2 simple reasons. A better understanding of the market helped me make better decisions and see the big picture not just the runner I was trading. And secondly I reduced stakes right down, Its harder to get emotionally attached to a trade when you're risking the price of a mars bar! :D

It was just then a case of gradually increasing stakes, if I felt any way twitchy I reduced them again. Over time the stakes increased, and the attachment went away in most cases. I still sometimes get attached to a good trade though!
i have edited the post to include "Yerkes–Dodson law" for anybody that wants to look it up, i would be very emotionally attached if i lost a mars bar , however if it was a Turkish Delight who cares. :lol:
good advice on the gradual stakes
Derek27

Maturin wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 pm
Thanks Derek, I'd not really thought about certain courses having particular traits, I was more concentrating on race types, regardless of the course.
I find it's all relative. A maiden at Ascot is more volatile than a group race at Ascot. But between meetings there can be a striking difference in how they trade in terms of stability.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:29 am
I find it's all relative. A maiden at Ascot is more volatile than a group race at Ascot. But between meetings there can be a striking difference in how they trade in terms of stability.
I commented on the influence of the venue in another thread. There is tremendous variance between venues for similar races, I've always dismissed it as statistical variance but should I be looking more closely? For example, taking AW races 2015 - 2020, 6 furlongs, Favourites, no age restriction ... the return on Southwell races is 75% of staked while at Newcastle it's 150%! I chose AW to try and exclude any variance caused by goings. If you picked up a Newcastle race and ran it at Southwell (and vice-versa) would it affect the outcome that much?
Euler

Derek27 wrote:
Maturin wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 pm
Thanks Derek, I'd not really thought about certain courses having particular traits, I was more concentrating on race types, regardless of the course.
Spot on
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:20 am
Derek27 wrote:
I commented on the influence of the venue in another thread. There is tremendous variance between venues for similar races, I've always dismissed it as statistical variance but should I be looking more closely? For example, taking AW races 2015 - 2020, 6 furlongs, Favourites, no age restriction ... the return on Southwell races is 75% of staked while at Newcastle it's 150%! I chose AW to try and exclude any variance caused by goings. If you picked up a Newcastle race and ran it at Southwell (and vice-versa) would it affect the outcome that much?
One of the biggest mysteries in my life is why Rosehill and Randwick trade so much different to all other Aussie courses. There have been meetings transferred to one of these two meetings and they traded similar to the transferred course rather than the original course, though it's a small sample so I'm not entirely sure if it's normally the case.

I've never logged the race type and could possibly be missing out on data but I've always expected maidens, novices' or races with lightly-raced horses to be a bit more unpredictable.
goat68

Whichever way I go I get beaten up, trying a more scalping type trade the market beats me.....
goat68

Well that was a great scalp, single trade -19 ticks :-(
FFS
goat68

I've got to stop being drawn back into this game... I think I need to some how give up!!
Derek27

goat68 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:42 pm
FFS
Sounds like you're scalping the wrong markets, you need stable markets for that. Or why not try swing trading on a market that moves 19 ticks?
goat68

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:57 pm
goat68 wrote:
FFS
Sounds like you're scalping the wrong markets, you need stable markets for that. Or why not try swing trading on a market that moves 19 ticks?
I think in this particular case something must have happened to the horse, I didn't have video but suspect horse loose or something......
Trader Pat

goat68 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:44 pm
I've got to stop being drawn back into this game... I think I need to some how give up!!
I hope you didn't mean that literally?

If you can't walk away from this then you have much bigger problems than just being unable to read a market
goat68

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:20 pm
goat68 wrote:

If you can't walk away from this then you have much bigger problems than just being unable to read a market
Probably!
Euler

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:57 pm
goat68 wrote:
FFS
That was more or less my point in the previous suggestion. If you want to be a trader, WHY did that happen WHAT did you learn.

Losses are part and parcel of trading. Understand why one happened and you can keep on working to minimise them. Profits come along in roughly equal proportion, so focusing on minimise losses and you are half the way to becoming a trader.
Derek27

goat68 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:44 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
goat68 wrote:

Probably!
Having a positive attitude, understanding people profit from trading and believing you at least have a chance of joining them can make a big difference and help you spot opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise.

The thread below illustrates a 'can't do it' attitude. It was before my time but I stumbled across it and Peter touched upon it on on of his psychology vids. :)

viewtopic.php?p=127856#p127856
goat68

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:58 pm
goat68 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:44 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Probably!
Having a positive attitude, understanding people profit from trading and believing you at least have a chance of joining them can make a big difference and help you spot opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise.

The thread below illustrates a 'can't do it' attitude. It was before my time but I stumbled across it and Peter touched upon it on on of his psychology vids. :)

viewtopic.php?p=127856#p127856
Nice one Derek, I know Peters video but hadn't seen this actual thread, and unfortunately I do relate to the chap...
I can also relate to, and probably not the best thing to admit, but I do have a negative nature to myself, and I am not sure how easy that is to fix as it is well embedded...

I do have some points to make about Peters sine wave graph, in that markets are rarely like that. They can typically get to the top of that sine wave and just keep going up and up.....
Or they start to head back up from the bottom get half way up then shoot down below the bottom again....

My +1 -3 attempt was a bit stupid, but my reason was a hope it would control my losses. My methods at the moment always end with losses 1.5x bigger than my wins, get a few of those in a row like 5 the other day, and there's loads of your profit gone that I've worked so hard for...
What I need us a method with losses half my average win or there abouts.... but not sure how to achieve that with pre race horses where the flow is so random...?

I'm also still just basing trading decisions on the chart, I get very little info from the ladder other than instantaneous momentum that typically lasts about 5 seconds and tells me nothing about impending swing trends...

Winge finished, see negative in nature......!!
No hope for me... Darn and again!

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”