Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
wearthefoxhat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:08 pm
There's 00s of people playing on the dogs, you'll never know if you've lost it all to one person or lost £1 to each of them. Or when a strategy fails it could just be that the person you were winning from gets fed up with it and stops. It's a complex and unknowable, but plays right into the hands of the conspiracy theorists. I doubt very much that Memphis making £1 on each of the 120 races a day is even noticeable. If we're all reduced to fighting for a quid it's time to move on.

I believe there are more trader types than manual types for the reason mentioned, (there's 00's of blinkin' races to choose from), so some form of automation is required for sure.

Only Memphis can confirm, but he has said previously he hasn't yet automated, so therefore he would only be making manual decisions of sorts. Can't see him doing 120 races in day....but then again...

There's still enough in the pot as the back prices are still better than the ISP (by double at times). So conventional dutching could be a way forward on selected races.
wearthefoxhat

Kai wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:49 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:08 pm
There's 00s of people playing on the dogs
Doesn't seem like it tbh, the manual boys etc stick out like a sore thumb

Problem with this market structure is too many filler races that take away from the bigger ones, would probably be better for BF to not even open the market for some, to try and get more quality in with bigger gaps. Either way there is a finite level of profit with these micromarkets and you can probably do some rough calculations based on matched volumes and price ranges etc as to how much but all its doing over time is just changing hands and ratios
BF may well minimise the fodder on offer for the reason you mention. If they do, I hope they keep the graded races and not just do the open races. The OR ones ply their trade over different tracks and it's not easy to translate to the current track/distance as it is for a graded race.

Also, you need the bread and butter types to feed the hopes of the owner that they might stumble across a potential open racer, in time.

Of course it would come down the market volume, by track, so no sentimentality considered there I'm sure.

2018 crowd at Towcester (Derby meeting)

2018Derby.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:19 pm
Also, you need the bread and butter types to feed the hopes of the owner that they might stumble across a potential open racer, in time.
I'm not keen on the idea of just anyone buying a dog for £500 and scrapping it when they get bored. There's too many greys dumped on charities as it is.

If dog tracks are being funded by the industry to keep it going anyway then why not go the whole hog and have the ownership professionalised too. Have a league of 30 or 40 trainer/owners also supported by the industry so that winning (and all the accompanying breeding/dumping) isn't a make or break for them. I can't see a reason or place for amateur ownership, ditto horses tbh.
goat68

So since un-tweaking the unfortunate dog bot tweak, business has returned to usual, 2 days and +£73, nice
goat68

I call this one a "good hedge", relatively well balanced:
Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 19.17.35.png
I'll see if I can find a wonky one, bound to be a horse!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goat68

Horses tend to be more "wonky" hedging:
Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 21.07.57.png
firlandsfarm

New to the dogs, very pleased with first 2 days ... could be fluke so keeping fingers crossed day by day! :D
1st 2 Days at Dogs.png
(Ignore the horse racing ... I forgot I left a trial running! :) )
goat68

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:21 am
New to the dogs, very pleased with first 2 days ... could be fluke so keeping fingers crossed day by day! :D

1st 2 Days at Dogs.png

(Ignore the horse racing ... I forgot I left a trial running! :) )
Wow awesome!

I made about £75 those 2 days, makes you wonder who we are taking the money off of...? :mrgreen:
goat68

Comes and goes, today is definitely a slow affair...!
Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 17.04.06.png
goat68

What "bots" are good at, that is taking advantage of opportunities, they can seem to do naf all for a few days, then a great day comes along and it has no nerves about taking advantage...!
Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 15.48.21.png
goat68

April summary:
Dogs pretty good, slight tweak error mid month, but now corrected.
Horses not very good, but working on them, hopeful for a better horses in May.
Actual April:
Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 16.27.18.png
DogsApril:
Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 16.26.41.png
HorsesApril:
Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 16.26.52.png
goat68

Dogs commission charges to gross profit = 15.31 %

Fairly pleased with that.
ShaunWhite

Dog chart looks familiar...steaming ahead and then a kink to a new trend.

It's impossible to know who's going to start and stop things and when. It really is a game of continual mods, and knowing when and how is the part that takes experience.
goat68

Now that's the Betfair "Cash out" button I do like :mrgreen:
Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 10.26.19.png
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:28 am
Now that's the Betfair "Cash out" button I do like :mrgreen:
Paying shareholder dividends at the first sniff of profit is so 21st century :).

Nice one though, make sure you treat your missus cos I bet you've been a trading bore for the last 18 months :D You can probably answer all your old questions now about why people bother, that grand probably equates to about 20p/hr but it's sweeter than any money you'll earn in a 9-5. And sucess has nothing to do with 'ones' old school tie either, betting is the ultimate meritocracy and that's not just an opportunity for regular guys it's the satisfaction too.

.... Time to go, Danni is hosting today's Place in the Sun and frankly that's more interesting than chatting to you ;)

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”