Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
Kai

dm1900 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:10 pm
So goat, what would you say we're the most important things you picked up in this journey?
Surely Goaty forgot to say it's important to "eat your reds" too, not just the greens like when you yell that at your children, lol, if you want to become a (mentally) strong trader one day you really have to eat plenty of reds too, it's not a patronizing piss-take.

Yeah, they will taste like shit at first but then you realize it's not so bad and you do get used to it eventually!
goat68

Kai wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:37 pm
dm1900 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:10 pm
So goat, what would you say we're the most important things you picked up in this journey?
Surely Goaty forgot to say it's important to "eat your reds" too, not just the greens like when you yell that at your children, lol, if you want to become a (mentally) strong trader one day you really have to eat plenty of reds too, it's not a patronizing piss-take.

Yeah, they will taste like shit at first but then you realize it's not so bad and you do get used to it eventually!
Just trying to decode the Kai speak, I think that means get used to losing days, weeks,... it's part of the equation...
So for example, the last 10 months, i've not had a losing month, but i've had at a rough estimate 5 losing weeks.
goat68

Today just the usual...part of the journey... :
Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 20.56.46.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai

goat68 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:49 pm
Just trying to decode the Kai speak, I think that means get used to losing days, weeks,... it's part of the equation...
So for example, the last 10 months, i've not had a losing month, but i've had at a rough estimate 5 losing weeks.
Well done!

But thought it was self-explanatory really, just saying to accept your losses, big or small, when they come. Since they do make you stronger and better, plus they show you where the limits of your approach/edge is etc, they are very much a normal healthy part of a trader's diet.
jamesedwards

Kai wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:37 pm

Even now, four years into full-time trading I still struggle mentally to "eat my reds". Not as bad as I used to be but it's still there.
Vaz0202

Love catching up on this, easily my most favourite thread in the forum. Goat is like Tom Hanks in Castaway. Everything looks hopeless but then he’s doing his own dentistry and fashions a boat out of bottles, wood and bamboo. All ends well
napshnap

Vaz0202 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:26 am
Love catching up on this, easily my most favourite thread in the forum. Goat is like Tom Hanks in Castaway. Everything looks hopeless but then he’s doing his own dentistry and fashions a boat out of bottles, wood and bamboo. All ends well
Yeah, but Tom Hanks didn't have a high-tech spaceship with him and his ally was a stupid ball))
Kai

napshnap wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:46 am
his ally was a stupid ball))
Don't diss Wilson like that, if I recall correctly he won best supporting actor that year, despite not given many lines :) Must have been a poor year for supporting roles.
napshnap

Kai wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:36 am
napshnap wrote:
Don't diss Wilson like that, if I recall correctly he won best supporting actor that year, despite not given many lines :) Must have been a poor year for supporting roles.
Not a fan but his expression indeed was bloody magnificent! ;)
Crumpets

Kai wrote:
napshnap wrote:
He really wasn't the same actor after that award. Really inflated his ego
napshnap

Crumpets wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:23 pm
Kai wrote:
napshnap wrote:
He still has a chance, I heard he's a basketball ball now! The Academy likes this stuff.
Last edited by napshnap on Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kai

Crumpets wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:23 pm
Kai wrote:
napshnap wrote:
:D

Looks like "Wilson" was sold last year at an auction for £230,000, not bad for an old volleyball!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59242756
allankane

@goat68 May I ask you why you started automating for the hounds?

The reason I ask is because the strategy i use, and i am just starting, works very consistently for dogs and you get a LOT of opportunities for testing and making cash, of course. I find that the movements tend to stick on dogs. It isn't scalable with stakes in the same way horses are, but it just seems more consistent to me.

I did think about why this might be and I am starting to assume it isn't as saturated with traders and bots, though I don't know.
ShaunWhite

allankane wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:30 am
I'll chip in, it's scale. With 120 races a day you can accumulate intel 4 or 5 times faster than the horses. Find 2 or 3 to trade in each race and you don't need to be making much on each.

I wouldn't say any particular sport is easier than another, that's a matter of using the right approach for the right type of activity.

But would starting on UK dogs be a good idea now? Perhaps not with the long term prospects for UK dog racing being somewhat precarious.
goat68

allankane wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:30 am

The reason I ask is because the strategy i use, and i am just starting, works very consistently for dogs and you get a LOT of opportunities for testing and making cash, of course. I find that the movements tend to stick on dogs. It isn't scalable with stakes in the same way horses are, but it just seems more consistent to me.

I did think about why this might be and I am starting to assume it isn't as saturated with traders and bots, though I don't know.
Hi, I think Shaun has given a good answer, but i'd add greyhounds are quite simple compared to horses, nearly always 5 or 6 dogs, a simple track, greater understanding of what's going on, less variables, etc...
I would add though I keep working and investigating new methods in new markets, I currently have 8 strategies running live, and I have a new idea to investigate for February when I get some spare time...

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”