Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
Realrocknrolla

goat68 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:26 pm
arch4672 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:59 pm
goat68 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:56 am
Well AUS horse bot doing rubbish today, every one a loser, arghhh variance!
Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 10.55.23.png
Are you sure it's variance, or it's just that your backfitted strategy isn't very good?
quite possibly!
I think I might have to start not relying on backtesting so much, it's far too easy to just "fit" things it would seem...
What happened to your Inplay ideas?
goat68

Starting to come to the conclusion it's just not possible to find an edge based purely on technical price action.
Which maybe the case, as with 1000s of very smart algo traders out there and throw in some advanced AI/ML systems, anything technical would be found very quickly and squashed...
goat68

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:43 pm
goat68 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:26 pm
arch4672 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:59 pm

Are you sure it's variance, or it's just that your backfitted strategy isn't very good?
quite possibly!
I think I might have to start not relying on backtesting so much, it's far too easy to just "fit" things it would seem...
What happened to your Inplay ideas?
First, i've not got any inplay ideas as such! but thought i'd pursue the many many hours i've put into what i've done so far pre-race, before giving up on it.
goat68

Just had another peek at bot, down -£59 today, 12 losses out of 14 markets
This is a mugs game
beermonsterman

My automation does well and its a simple but affective bot they are out there goat just need to keep things simple
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goat68

beermonsterman wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:53 pm
My automation does well and its a simple but affective bot they are out there goat just need to keep things simple
My current bots are simple, i'm thinking i've gone too simple:
- WoM > 75% or <25%
- Price between 2 and 3.75
- TotalVolume 75% of expected start volume
Trigger: Back or Lay

I'm right pissed off, today bots have lost me -£95, 14 losing markets out of 20 :-(
goat68

Just turned all bots off, they are a waste...
September:
Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.27.18.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beermonsterman

What works for me is high liquidity markets my automation will trade exactly how i want it too in high volume/liquid markets and would be an absolute disaster in low volume liquid markets it is a big player that most dont think about
LinusP

goat68 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:12 pm
beermonsterman wrote:
- WoM > 75% or <25%

I'm right pissed off, today bots have lost me -£95, 14 losing markets out of 20 :-(
If you are not enjoying it anymore stop, don’t waste any more money.
goat68

LinusP wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:10 pm
goat68 wrote:
beermonsterman wrote:
- WoM > 75% or <25%

Thanks for your honest advice Linus, i'm seriously thinking about it at the moment. I've just being staring at Dallas's automation files, but not sure i've got the energy.
goat68

So for example "Lay the poor starter bot": viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12100
What I think about with this, is so the theory is horse drifts 10ticks after start, but to make money from this the price still has to be value? regardless of the fact it's slipped 10ticks. How do you really know? don't think you do? In reality it's slipped 10ticks due to a poor start, and the price then being offered is based on Exchange backers & layers opinions... If everyone is actually using this bot, i'd actually do the opposite...?
wearthefoxhat

goat68 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:31 pm
What I think about with this, is so the theory is horse drifts 10ticks after start, but to make money from this the price still has to be value? regardless of the fact it's slipped 10ticks. How do you really know? don't think you do? In reality it's slipped 10ticks due to a poor start, and the price then being offered is based on Exchange backers & layers opinions... If everyone is actually using this bot, i'd actually do the opposite...?

The principle of using this type of bot and laying a "value" selection, will depend on it having been overbet pre-off. ie: The sentiment is that a runner will establish a quick lead and DOB/HOB/QOB.

The intial research could be to look at the pace cards and if there was a steamer pre-off on a runner that is likely to lead, and then it starts poorly, you have a likely candidate. If it starts well, then the bot will not fire as the selection's price will drop further.
foxwood

goat68 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:31 pm
That bot has nothing to do with "value" imho. It's simply trying to make a trade out of a commonly observed market reaction to a real-world event - ie when certain runners are slow out of the gate they will often drift quite a bit higher. It's not an outright lay which would be a "value" decision.

I haven't downloaded it but the specification is quite clear in the first 3 paras - a bit that may be missing is to take a smaller green or to red-up when the runner fails to drift enough to make the trade. That would be down to the user to fine tune as with all Dallas' offerings.

You would need to be selective on race type, distance, timing, etc and tune the mechanism in practice mode. Then, when that looks like it is working correctly, go live with small stakes. Rinse and repeat based on that experience.
decomez6

goat68 wrote:

- WoM > 75% or <25%

+1
too simple ....but...on the plus side , easy to diagnose.
i personally would have such a set up for a servant when manually trading. it will monitor the price point pressure as i keep an eye on those spoofers in conjunction with the volume bar which is a better indicator of real volume matched.

i also see some problems with the boxes you tick before executing . they seem to be based on a false premise :

1. WOM
-how much of it is down to cross matching and spoofs ?
why 75% any historical evidence ? in the same race/event/going/jockey/owner/ratings/...............ETC any fundamentals could make or break it.
do you know why 75% is performing better in one race and not the other?

2. expected Total volume 75 %
how do you calculate this?
-an accumilatve average of the same race over how long of a period ?
do you consider seasonality and other conflicting fixtures that could dry up the volume flow E.g when another race is delayed and the money arrives late or do not arrive at all?

3. price 2 - 3.75
how do you choose when more than one selection have identical WOM , VOL and PRC...... you need more variables to determine a lay and rule a back vise/vasa

My take Novice take:
testing is great ! you are in the right place.......if i had your skills i would spend less time thinking about the testing and concentrate on putting some 'MEAT' on the 'Bone'
make the bot do some machine learning :)

have some good old fun and try step away from the blue screens for some time . things seem to work better when you are in a less tense state and you will look at the bot differently .
arch4672

LinusP wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:10 pm
goat68 wrote:
beermonsterman wrote:
- WoM > 75% or <25%

+1

Stop wasting your money and do something more worthwhile.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”