Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
goat68

Does seem a bit ridiculous really, it's just "bot v bot", where have all the "punters" gone?
decomez6

i think there is ' a punter' behind every punting bot, and the lock down gave them time to appreciate the power of automation.
decomez6

edit
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:53 am
, where have all the "punters" gone?
Gambling is predominantly a blue collar pastime and dogs especially are an old man's game (ie not online at home). That demographic are either on their arse broke or dead or stuck indoors. I'm surprised there's any money at all.

And almost everyday there's new and more interesting ways to spend your leisure money. When I used to spend my days in the bookies there was f-all else to do, these days dogs and horses look about as interesting as brass rubbing to anyone under 30.
goat68

Really don't get some of these TimeForm ratings:

Dog: SAVANA RAVEN
Comment: Rarely gets a good start.
Rating: 5 STARS !!

It lost!
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:38 pm

It lost!
I've no idea what their ratings algo is, if it's based around sectional timings then it might run like the wind, albeit giving the rest a 10s head start. I know they also look at winning times but again I'm not sure if they factor in losing times.

It lost, but was it value ;)

Stick that post on the Greyhounds thread and see what guys like Memphis think? There probably aren't many experienced people who bother looking at this thread.
wearthefoxhat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 am
goat68 wrote:

It lost!
I've no idea what their ratings algo is, if it's based around sectional timings then it might run like the wind, albeit giving the rest a 10s head start. I know they also look at winning times but again I'm not sure if they factor in losing times.

Stick that post on the Greyhounds thread and see what guys like Memphis think? There probably aren't many experienced people who bother looking at this thread.

Often than not, once Timeform rate a greyhound as 5 stars, these are overbet (rightly or wrongly), so unlikely any value in those ones. Getting in front of market, before the price moves is one way, but the market makers have usually factored it into the odds line. It then means there's value elsewhere to be had.

11.06.png

Important information given by timeform for each track at the top of the racecard.

track.png

Then a review of the ratings can reveal some value when comparing to the betting forecast and live odds nearer the off.

ratings.png

Admittedly, a little bit of effort has to be put in with understanding how a race may be run. A cheeky spreadsheet evaluating the odds comparison and sectionals, will help the process and compare value odds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goat68

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:29 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 am
goat68 wrote:

It lost!

Often than not, once Timeform rate a greyhound as 5 stars, these are overbet (rightly or wrongly), so unlikely any value in those ones. Getting in front of market, before the price moves is one way, but the market makers have usually factored it into the odds line. It then means there's value elsewhere to be had.

11.06.png

Important information given by timeform for each track at the top of the racecard.

track.png

Then a review of the ratings can reveal some value when comparing to the betting forecast and live odds nearer the off.

ratings.png

Admittedly, a little bit of effort has to be put in with understanding how a race may be run. A cheeky spreadsheet evaluating the odds comparison and sectionals, will help the process and compare value odds.
thanks Fox, useful, cheers
goat68

Difficult game this greyhound "bot fight"... very frustrating
but thinking about it it's mainly a bot game, there's 100s of bots trading against each other
I've started from the bottom and need to get to the top 10, what are my chances ?!
goat68

Effort vs reward is definitely in doubt, I suspect Lidl pay better!
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 pm
At least Lidl (and Waitrose too if we're not to unduly charterise) pay minimum wage rather than you paying them.
goat68

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:04 pm
goat68 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 pm
At least Lidl (and Waitrose too if we're not to unduly charterise) pay minimum wage rather than you paying them.
Precisely!
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:11 pm
Difficult game this greyhound "bot fight"... very frustrating
but thinking about it it's mainly a bot game, there's 100s of bots trading against each other
I've started from the bottom and need to get to the top 10, what are my chances ?!
Getting to the top 5% definitely isn't easy. But why would you think a bot heavy market would be harder than others? There's probably as many bad bots as bad manual punters/traders.

It's fairly standard for people who struggle to look for an external reason, bots, syndicates, spoofing, manipulation etc but the harsh reality is that success or failure is entirely in your own hands. But that's the beauty of trading, it's a meritocracy. It's about your own achievements rather than getting a leg up because you've got the right school tie.
goat68

Trying not to be sexist, but from videos of trading conferences ive seen in the past, it's about 99% males, why would that be?
Kai

goat68 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:25 pm
Trying not to be sexist, but from videos of trading conferences ive seen in the past, it's about 99% males, why would that be?
Trying very much to be sexist here but from what I've seen in the past they think it's more fun spending money rather than making it?

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”