Turn off your monkey brain: Don't go In play

The sport of kings.
Anbell

I've seen a bunch of threads recently about people struggling not to go in play.

Firstly, don't go in-play. It's stupid and will always blow up your bank. There are a million posts on this thread why that will happen.

Secondly, if you don't trust your monkey brain, install this safety from Dallas.
viewtopic.php?t=15199

I use it every race on every meeting on every computer (as a safety, not to save me from my monkey brain)

Please: use this and save us all from the all the 'I'm a dunce, I blew up my bank, I need to work on my psychology' posts.

Here it is again: viewtopic.php?t=15199
arbitrage16

Or, learn how the in-play markets work and double your opportunities to make money.
Anbell

arbitrage16 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:08 am
Or, learn how the in-play markets work and double your opportunities to make money.
Sure - if you have an advantage IP then do that! (I'm only trying to get the message through to everyone who repeatedly says 'my worst mistake is I get tempted to go IP and then I blow up my bank')

I'm jealous of people who can win IP. I've never tried it, and I don't judge, but it dosesnt suit *me.* I'm not saying dont go in-play. I'm saying 'don't go inplay as a desperate attempt to escape your bad position because it will blow up your bank'
MAGTRADEUK

Think its horses for courses, I have done some pre race and dont do so well, its just some people pushing ladders up and down in the main, I personally dont get it and dont enjoy it. I prefer to do the old form reading etc, take a selection and if it looks like I am wrong bale out or let it run etc, I dont do it for a living so maybe I am just a hobbyist, but as I say each to his/her own.
Anbell

MAGTRADEUK wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:29 am
Think its horses for courses, I have done some pre race and dont do so well, its just some people pushing ladders up and down in the main, I personally dont get it and dont enjoy it. I prefer to do the old form reading etc, take a selection and if it looks like I am wrong bale out or let it run etc, I dont do it for a living so maybe I am just a hobbyist, but as I say each to his/her own.
Sure. My only point is that there have been a few posts this week (and EVERY week) saying that people can't resist going in-play, contrary to their 'plan.' If you don't want to go in-play, and dont want to be tempted to go in-play, then Dallas has a Safety Servant that can save you from yourself.

For everyone else, knock yourself out. Go IP, or don't, it's completely up to you.
Anbell

I should have titled this post "Turn off your monkey brain: Don't go In play unless that is your plan"
jimibt

Anbell wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 am
I should have titled this post "Turn off your monkey brain: Don't go In play unless that is your plan"
+1. i'm reading this and thinking, *it's so obvious - don'y go in play*. I'm then seeing a few posts saying that IP is not to be waved off lightly. Sure, IP as a territory is fine but only if the plan is rigged up to purely focus a strategy on IP moves. This is quite different to randomly letting a runner go IP in the hope that your £20 red somehow evens out or better still, goes on to win. fallacy and monkey bollox!! literally, horses for courses.
Naffman

jimibt wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:59 am
Anbell wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 am
+1. i'm reading this and thinking, *it's so obvious - don'y go in play*. I'm then seeing a few posts saying that IP is not to be waved off lightly. Sure, IP as a territory is fine but only if the plan is rigged up to purely focus a strategy on IP moves. This is quite different to randomly letting a runner go IP in the hope that your £20 red somehow evens out or better still, goes on to win. fallacy and monkey bollox!! literally, horses for courses.
Yes I thought it was pretty obvious what Anbell was trying to say
Derek27

The clue was in the word go. :)
Crazyskier

Anbell wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:05 am
I've seen a bunch of threads recently about people struggling not to go in play.

Firstly, don't go in-play. It's stupid and will always blow up your bank. There are a million posts on this thread why that will happen.

Secondly, if you don't trust your monkey brain, install this safety from Dallas.
viewtopic.php?t=15199

I use it every race on every meeting on every computer (as a safety, not to save me from my monkey brain)

Please: use this and save us all from the all the 'I'm a dunce, I blew up my bank, I need to work on my psychology' posts.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, it's a brave poster that uses the word, 'monkey' when referring to humans these days.

Sad but true.

CS
Trader Pat

Anbell wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:05 am

viewtopic.php?t=15199

I think the thread you're referring to is the one by Newcomer where he talks about his struggles with not being able to stop himself going in play. Unfortunately Anbell your post here shows you have no idea where he's coming from and like most who haven't experienced this problem its impossible to understand it. A safety servant will not stop you going in play if you really want to. I've been there, the urge to do it is completely irrational most of the time and before, during and after you do it it makes no sense at all and you cant explain why you did it. I and others reached out and told our stories of overcoming it so he knows its possible to do.

One of the things I love about this forum is that people can post about the issues holding them back, whether its technical, mental or something else and generally get some positive feedback or advice. As many others have said if you don't like a thread on the forum nobody is forcing you to read it.
Kai

Anbell just wants to help if possible, like most people on here, there's always somebody around that hasn't heard it before. Shouldn't really get any stick for it, especially on the topic that's as old as time itself :) It's just one of the many circlejerks on the forum.

Even before I placed my first bets on prerace I was already bombarded by these warnings everywhere I looked, so much so that all these negative connotations about the inplay market made me completely ignore it for years, there's probably still people around that think it's a market for degenerate gamblers only. Took me a long time to have a proper objective look at it and I probably wouldn't even have done it on my own accord, only to find that it's a market like any other and a damn good one as well, I even think it's the better one of the two racing markets.

Just saying that the brain can sometimes forget that all these warning are in the context of prerace, the full version would be "Don't go inplay, if you are trading prerace".
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Just saying that the brain can sometimes forget that all these warning are in the context of prerace, the full version would be "Don't go inplay, if you are trading prerace".
+1, that is EXACTLY the point here... i do actually wonder at times if people do seperate the mentality of both fully and instead, count IP markets as a kind of extended PRE race fallback. the mechanics of each desrves the full attention of the life that thyey have, but straying from PRe to the *afterlife* (unless intending to go on a ghost hunt) is gonna get scary.
Kai

jimibt wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:29 pm
Kai wrote:

+1, that is EXACTLY the point here... i do actually wonder at times if people do seperate the mentality of both fully and instead, count IP markets as a kind of extended PRE race fallback. the mechanics of each desrves the full attention of the life that thyey have, but straying from PRe to the *afterlife* (unless intending to go on a ghost hunt) is gonna get scary.
Conveniently the inplay market starts soon as the prerace market finishes :D That's the unfortunate part, how many people on here have asked for a loss recovery system in recent months Jim? I remember a few :)

Can you imagine what happens to the brain when when it does that for a few times and it actually works? Makes getting rid of that habit slightly harder :)
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:44 pm
jimibt wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:29 pm
Kai wrote:

Conveniently the inplay market starts soon as the prerace market finishes :D That's the unfortunate part, how many people on here have asked for a loss recovery system in recent months Jim? I remember a few :)

Can you imagine what happens to the brain when when it does that for a few times and it actually works? Makes getting rid of that habit slightly harder :)
aye!!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”