% Return on Turnover

The sport of kings.
Morbius

Hi guys, I know you each have your own way of doing things on here but I just wondered what you would consider to be a solid return on the turnover that you put through the system on a daily basis.

For example if you put £20k a day through, are you looking for 1%, 2% etc and if you don't actually view your trading that way, could I ask what you achieve when all the dust has settled.

I would very much like to hear Pete's view on this too

Thanks in advance

Morbius
spreadbetting

Reckon if you spent a bit more time concentrating on your own pnl instead of others you might find it's more profitable.
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 pm
Reckon if you spent a bit more time concentrating on your own pnl instead of others you might find it's more profitable.
I was going to say the same thing. You'll get nowhere Morbius, by focusing and comparing other people's P/L, who are probably using an incomparable strategy.
Euler

It will vary dramatically by strategy. If scalping you will probably earn 10th's of a %
Morbius

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 pm

I am sorry but I really do beg to differ on that one. Seeing as this is a learning curve that I am on and hence the entire point of joining the forum was to fill gaps in my knowledge then I don't see what is remotely wrong with the question SB.

In the grand scheme of things, someone else's P/L seems of little consequence except that's not exactly true is it. What gets revealed with a question like that is the profitability of certain strategies over others in a broad generic sense so the question and the answers while not absolute....do have value if not to the person that answers but to the person that asks. There is more depth to the OP than is apparent and I have my reasons for asking.

If the answers come from respected traders with good track records which is why I came on the forum then the data has value even if to potentially (and I stress that word) point someone towards a certain strategy over maybe another one. I don't want to be spoon fed someone else's system unlike many people that come onto forums like this because I have confidence in myself. But from what may seem insignificant data to one person, another can manufacture strategies and systems from the most minimal of data.
Derek27

You should be looking for the most profitable strategy rather than the highest profit/loss ratio or profit on turnover.
Morbius

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:09 pm
You should be looking for the most profitable strategy rather than the highest profit/loss ratio or profit on turnover.
Derek...I am not looking for the highest profit to loss ratios or profit on turnover.....I am merely trying to find out what other people attain with the strategies that they use but seeing as that's a difficult question to answer for many on here, it also makes it a difficult question to ask. If someone said ..."I am a scalper and my profit on turnover is .23%" then to me that is useful data or...if someone said I am a swing trader and my profit target is 5 ticks and my stop loss is 5 ticks and my profit on turnover is 1.45% then that is useful also....to me...if not the person giving it.
spreadbetting

We're all doing different things so unless you know some idea of their strategy it'll always be a "how long is a piece of string" type of question.

My % turnover is no use to me so hard to see how others would find it useful. As soon as you start to win money you try to increase that % but you eventually hit a tipping point where the more you win the less that % becomes.
rik

settled markets bit more than 10%
all bets placed added together less than 1%
Naffman

Focus on getting the most out of your trades, worrying about turnover won't make you a better trader
Morbius

Naffman wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:48 am
Focus on getting the most out of your trades, worrying about turnover won't make you a better trader

I give up :roll:
Firstly I am not worrying....people keep putting words in my mouth. Let me put it this way, if ten successful traders in a room tell you the truth as to what their return on turnover is and everyone said between .10% and .20% that this wouldn't be highly educational in terms of strategy selection

OBVIOUSLY it depends on the strategy :D I kind of worked that out all by myself like a big boy
Morbius

rik wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:23 am
settled markets bit more than 10%
all bets placed added together less than 1%

Sorry Rik.missed your post, thankyou, I was losing hope of hearing anything other than it depends :D
smallplayer

Hi again Mobius. I think I first seen you on the thread I started about 6% ROI. You didn't get an answer on that one and in this one you are trying again. I think these questions are almost impossible for the guys here to answer for all the reasons already given and many more. As you already know, "how long is a piece of string" is the standard answer to all trading questions because of the complexity of trading. When I started out, as a very logically minded person, I found the lack of concise answers to be infuriating but as I started to understand more, I realized that no one could give me the satisfaction I craved. So I started trading and posted a few P & l's and worked things out and asked questions from there. I recommend you do the same, as I feel if you wait until you are armed with all the information you feel you require before starting, then you will never get going. I know you have already traded, so I am not saying you don't trade but I feel you are searching for something extra you will never find. Ignore me if I am way off the mark. GL :D
MemphisFlash

a piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the edge!!!
jimibt

MemphisFlash wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:56 am
a piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the edge!!!
you're late this year... normally round about september when you roll that one out :D
MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:25 pm
A piece of string is twice the distance from the centre to the end. Everyone knows that.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”