Should i limit my markets

The sport of kings.
Bubace

Hi guys

Fairly new to this

Joined about 4 months ago and been trading nearly every day

Results havent been great, but thats ok with me, im on minimum stakes still and seeing the time and money im spending as an investment, and very much a longer term plan as im in no hurry

so after doing the usual and watching every youtube video and reading books, reading this forum and trying to gleam what info i can, im still a fair bit away from being profitable.
ive never broke even over a week yet, though i have been close

i have been recording some trading and watching it back and yes i do see some things im doing wrong, But they just seem to repeat themselves though time and time again

i have the last two weeks beeen recording every single trade into a spreadsheet with just about as much information and colums that i could think of { i know i shouldve been doing this sooner} and whats become glaringly obvious is that i hardly ever profit on any race where the favourite is trading over 5.0, i basically never ever win on a handicap race, i am about 50/50 on races that the favourite is trading between 3 and 5, and on races where the favourite is trading under 3, i only lost once in 2 weeks.

I cant really explain this, though it was a shock to me when i was breaking down the results

the question is, as im just a beginner using small stakes, should i continue to trade all the races so i can keep on learning, or just stick to the ones where my strike rate is very good and try and improve that even more and just ignore the rest,

thanks in advance for any replies
eightbo

try just watching the high odds markets rather than trading them, noting down some opportunities that you feel had decent edge - where you'd enter/exit and why. If you keep watching in this way I'm sure you can start to find some higher edge trades which show up.

in the mean time continue with the lower odds fav. markets if you have positive expectancy on those and aren't at risk of damaging your account through breaking your rules one day start to scale there.

spend a few minutes to review your trades each day and keep theme on quality over quantity and you should be headed in correct direction
rik

No, but stick to small/minimum amounts in markets you dont have an edge
Do you usually just trade on the favourite, why do you think markets with a lower priced favourite work better for you?
Bubace

rik wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:45 am
No, but stick to small/minimum amounts in markets you dont have an edge
Do you usually just trade on the favourite, why do you think markets with a lower priced favourite work better for you?
thanks for the replies

I sometimes trade on the favourite if i see something obvious.
I normally trade on the second or third if i see that its going to do something in relation to what the favourite is doing
Im not sure why those markets work better fro me, i didnt realise until i started keeping records, i suppose its because the shorter the favourite the higher percerntage of the market and any move is going to have a bigger effect on the other runners price as well? though that could be wrong!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”