Enough is enough - time to admit defeat.

The sport of kings.
eightbo

pedro1886 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:49 pm
Is there traders who consistently profit from in running?

I've been focusing heavily for the past 6 months. All I seem to read is things like "eventually you lose or you could write on the back of a stamp the amount of people who are profitable from in running"

I got on ok with pre race but I started to self doubt. Maybe I just needed to spend more time in the markets.

It's after watching a few of peter's videos where he asks things like "when you win how much do you win? And when you loose how much do you lose?" A decent strike rate may not make up for a few bad runs in play.

I can see that it does take discipline eg don't try & make something happen or just lay a random horse. Get your one click buttons set up to make use of servants if you spot a B2L or L2B

Will inplay become harder once the crowds are back on course?
hi mate. very much possible.
as you say; dial down your size so that your worst outcomes are only a small % of the bankroll.
perfectly possible to just trade the order flow and profit without LV bu
I know a geezer who just looks for one horse to lay each race and that's his edge, another who is backing strong travellers if the price is right, me i'm trading order flow and only using LV for additional entry/exit/cancel signals.
You also want to decrease liability as the race goes on in anticipation of the increased volatility to level out your risk. If you set up audio cues to go off at certain %'s through the race and you can make a rules out of it.

ps don't think random trades won't get you anywhere in any mkt !

good luck.
Lutruwita

I make money in-play in Australia. I've only had a few losing days in 2 years (25,000 races) and they were because I layed winners. I only start the day with a $300 bank to protect myself.
wearthefoxhat

fail.png

Often hear this quoted, more relevant to the efforts to be profitable with trading/betting.

Yes, you have to be true to yourself and admit if a strategy is flawed. Sometimes is just needs a tweak, an earlier/later entry point...etc

Coincidentally, I became more consistent/profitable when the 2% comms offer (from 5%) started a while back.

I also find semi-automation works best for me. I usually allow it to create an entry point and manage the exit manually. As most of mine are in-play, (horses/football), I've got the added option of "let it ride." Not used that much, but when you get on the tail of a dragon, don't let go...(too much G.O.T.??)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wearthefoxhat on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eightbo

There was a horse who ran today named "Commit or Quit", thought it applies to the journey of trading quite well.

If one wants to make it to to the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak then they've got to keep going through the darkness.
The length of that tunnel is different for everyone and with a conscious & logical approach you can change the speed at which you're going but nobody starts on the right end. It's about how much you want it and if that desire isn't enough then you won't make the necessary changes.

I don't mean any offense by this but OP you come across as deluding yourself. You would likely do well to abandon what you think you know and open your mind a bit if you want to make further progress as what you believe to be true may be preventing you from finding what actually works.
  Alternatively; point fingers at those who are on the right side of the tunnel and remain where you are & producing the results you're producing.

Nothing wrong with packing it in and making money elsewhere. No doubt would be easier and may even be most effective to do so.
The time we've used in the past is just that — used.
All any of us can do is be conscious about how we can maximise the ROI of the time we've yet to spend and if that's.

Or perhaps you'll decide you want it bad enough to continue through further hardship on your way "to the light".
  No right/wrong answer about what to do other than the one made by the individual it concerns...
cmuddle

Hi trader 16, definitely you are not the only one, who struggles with racing.

I was trying to trade pre race but was lacking patience and quickly found out that it is not for me.

In-running was successful but I could not keep up emotionally, it was so nerve wrecking I felt sometimes my heart would jump out of my breast :shock: . That was manual, trading steaming favourites. Great experience, lot of fun but I had to stop it because I wanted to stay alive for a bit longer. One day of in-play trading was so stressful, I seriously was thinking about my health.
Tried to automate it which was fun but it is not the same, machine is a machine and too many factors get missed and a PC is still slower in analysing curtain situations than a human brain. Had to give it up completely.

Now I am just laying horses with some form study involved and enjoying it. It potentially can become an income source some time in future but I am not relying on it so much as I used to be. It puts a lot of pressure on one.

To have fun is one of the main ingredients here. Don't you have fun studying all those graphs, opening BA, reading these posts?
If not just stop and give yourself a break. I did it this year for 3 months and it was refreshing. Give yourself some time to digest all that you have learned and you will be surprised.

It is also quite addictive we all can say and especially when we loose. And yes very, very difficult. You need to have a talent to master this, plus effort and discipline. I only have the effort and little bit of discipline and is not yet enough to succeed.

Just some of my thoughts, just skip if too boring and too long :lol:
eightbo

cmuddle I experienced the same thing as you with the stress however was able to remove the emotional aspect from IP by simply lowering size.
Then as confidence in edge build you can always scale back up gradually and monitor for any emotional impact as you progress.
cmuddle

thanks eightbo for advice, sounds like a good strategy, will think it over
Morbius

xtrader16 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:18 pm
Well after 5 years trading horse racing markets it's time to admit defeat. For the first 3.5 years I was trading In running horses and was making £100 a day but with an unreasonalble risk attached. So after a while I switched to Pre Racing markets which I thought would be too difficult to figure out and I was right.

I must of tried every graph and data analysis going. Ive made progress and gone backwards so many times I cannot remember. I've heard all the advice going. I understand what the over round is and how it works. I've used MACD signals on multilple time frames and I've used excel files to record everything under the sun.

So now what Im going to do is record my markets and put them up on a new You Tube channel in the hope of showing people how not to trade. I've joined 2-3 trading groups but they seem very clicky and nobody provides you with anything you can positivly use.

This has been a complete and utter failure. I can make money on football markets quite well but it was the Horse Racing I was determind to master but I just dont understand how it can be monitored across the market.

Thanks & Goodbye & Good Luck.

I know that for the peole who have figured it out you might think its not that difficult to do but if you dont know you dont know.

I actually told myself I wasn't going to bother replying to these cry for help threads after the last one I replied to turned sour but helping people is part of my nature I suppose and my belief systems. It (as has been mentioned) is difficult to advise someone properly when there is so much information missing. However there are so many issues at work here that it is difficult to know where to begin.

When you come onto a forum like this then you must do so with the belief that no one is going to reveal their edge to you and the overwhelming majority of posts will be generic meaning, enough to help you but not enough to make you profitable. However that doesn't make them useless because to get value from a site like this requires a lot of cross referencing and reading between the lines.

Secondly, it comes across to me that your trading education lacks depth. Now before you come back at me on this point and accuse me of "knowing nothing about you" like the last poster I replied to did, you are going to have to take my word for it in many regards. When someone is further down the road than you with their education then a lack of it stands out like the proverbial sore thumb.

A deep trading knowledge isn't learning about indicators and studying charts. These are peripheral. Everybody studies these and everybody takes their own data from them. MACD, RSI, Stochastics and anything else you care to use will not make you a trader. Getting into the intricacies of MACD for example is like learning all the different ways you can use a hammer and chisel but without skill and knowledge, those tools cannot carve a beautiful statue. I said this before on a previous post but your experience has a lot more value than you think.

Learning all the ways not to do something IS PROGRESS. In fact many Investment Banks prefer traders with actual trading experience even if they haven't been successful over someone with a run of the mill Masters or 2:1. Now I am not trying to drag you back into something that you are looking to stop doing but for a deep trading education then you are looking at 3 years minimum and 5 for most people. Do you need 3-5 years to make money on a betting exchange....NO! But the point is that there is a great big trading world out there and with so much to learn, you are not going to crack the problem by fiddling about without serious research and study (if that is indeed what you have spent the most time doing).

Trading successfully is not about learning to trade...it is about evolving into being a trader. Only when you are far enough down the road (the right road) will you realise what that means. Learning indicators and studying charts is gimmicky and there is no correct path for anything gimmicky. There are other problems too, many people on this forum have a lot of experience and knowledge but struggle to pass it on because how do you pass on experience and insight??? You can't know what it is you don't know. I keep notes on everything and my learning advances more rapidly as a result of writing things down. My trading books cannot be resold because I have butchered them with notes, but guess what? When I look back at my past notes then I often cringe even after several years of studying....why....because you can't know what it is you don't know!!!

I came on this forum for reasons similar to you and I have found tremendous insight.....but....no help was given to me directly and I never expected it. I had to read in between the lines but the really good stuff was confirmation of what I already knew which was valuable to me. Just because you have been at this 5 years doesn't mean that you have spent 5 years doing it right and please don't get angry with me saying that because nobody wants to think that they have wasted time. I don't regret any time that I spent studying areas that on reflection will not help me in the final equation simply because I have deeper knowledge and I know that will strengthen my mind set.

5 years is a long time to be doing something so you have certainly built up a lot of knowledge. My guess is as has been mentioned, you are probably not far off and maybe it is something that needs tweaking but that could be with your understanding rather than your methods. If you struggle to make money doing a certain type of trading then that in itself is good because it is driving you to the right area. Without getting too technical, I spent a lot of time on market neutral strategies and other advanced strategies and never got beyond there being a piece of the puzzle missing. Only in the past two weeks have I answered that problem but knowledge like IQ builds on itself.

Without this post dragging on forever, volatile markets require specific trading knowledge and strategies to handle them. Whether the market pre-off is made deliberately volatile or is a sum total of all the traders actions mixed with a lack of liquidity is unknown to me, but the fact is it is volatile but remember.....a betting exchange is a financial market, the exchange was designed on such. I don't know how much studying of financial markets you have done and day trading theory but I would advise you to learn this stuff but my fear is that after 5 years you have lost the heart for it. If you make money on football then stick to that and scale up, build on your knowledge base and compound your knowledge. Remember that your TRUE EDGE comes from compounded knowledge and is an organic process.
Derek27

Morbius wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:32 pm
I actually told myself I wasn't going to bother replying to these cry for help threads after the last one...
Understandably you haven't been following the thread or missed this one. :)
xtrader16 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:51 pm
My opening post was out of sheer frustration with todays markets. I've calmed down a bit now and I'm reassessing my situation.

“You never fail until you stop trying.”

Al be back.
Morbius

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:35 pm
Morbius wrote:
I actually told myself I wasn't going to bother replying to these cry for help threads after the last one...
Understandably you haven't been following the thread or missed this one. :)
xtrader16 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:51 pm
My opening post was out of sheer frustration with todays markets. I've calmed down a bit now and I'm reassessing my situation.

“You never fail until you stop trying.”

Al be back.

you nailed it Derek....I couldn't be bothered to read the thread :lol:
spreadbetting

Far too busy writing another essay I guess.
Morbius

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:52 pm
Far too busy writing another essay I guess.

May seem like an essay but 90wpm on a laptop makes that several minutes ;)
spreadbetting

Guess that secretarial course paid off then ;)
Morbius

spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Guess that secretarial course paid off then ;)

PMSL we've had computers at home for 40 years so even a duffer should be able to do 50wpm :lol:
eightbo

cmuddle wrote:
thanks eightbo for advice, sounds like a good strategy, will think it over
money management (risk overlay which sits on top of your strategy) but yeah.

nothing to think about; try it and see how you feel.

ps was not specific enough 1st time round — your max liability for the market should be a small % of your total bank/capital.
Base your staking plan off that to remove the emotional investment associated with the price movements.
Tweak % of bank roll as necessary based on how you feel. Everyone's risk tolerance is dif.

gl

Return to “Trading Horse racing”