Enough is enough - time to admit defeat.

The sport of kings.
goat68

This discussion does make me think:
- xtrader16 being at this 5years and still not profitable
- morbius knows tons of theory and still not profitable
- if there was some simple metric(s) that told you which way a market is going to trade everyone would be using it..., Therefore there isn't one!
- everyone says follow a plan, but if you can't define anything tangible that gives you a market indication, then a plan is going to be hard to realize
- so you can't trade using something tangible, therefore you trade on instinct, gut feel, most likely from experience
- if you don't have years of experience to base your instinctive trades on then you're basically guessing...
- Therefore goat is currently guessing :-)
Bubace

goat68 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm
- if there was some simple metric(s) that told you which way a market is going to trade everyone would be using it..., Therefore there isn't one!
- everyone says follow a plan, but if you can't define anything tangible that gives you a market indication, then a plan is going to be hard to realize
- so you can't trade using something tangible, therefore you trade on instinct, gut feel, most likely from experience
- if you don't have years of experience to base your instinctive trades on then you're basically guessing...
youre not wrong! i was trying something on practice mode earlier and deliberately tried to loose, i won them all, and not just small wins, big swings :? :?
wearthefoxhat

goat68 wrote:
There you go, another example of the intelligence needed for trader.

The title of the thread has been clarified further, its not enough and it's not yet time to admit defeat.

Onwards and Upwards...
goat68

Bubace wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:59 pm
goat68 wrote:
youre not wrong! i was trying something on practice mode earlier and deliberately tried to loose, i won them all, and not just small wins, big swings :? :?
Yes exactly, you try your best to pick the most illogical move so you lose , and it wins!!
But you just try and make a profitable strategy from that!
Quantify 'illogical'?
Morbius

MODS......why have posts disappeared from this thread??
Trader Pat

goat68 wrote:

Nobody ever said there was a simple metric for trading, but reading back on this thread and looking at some of the advice offered makes it sound over simplistic from a technical point of view. I've seen a lot of advice along the lines of "If a runners price comes into 'X' then do 'Y'" or "If near a crossover then do X,Y,Z..." I've seen very little advice talking about what other runners in the market are doing. In my experience and I'm sure its the same for most traders, when I talk about patterns repeating in the market in most cases I'm not talking about patterns on individual runners but rather patterns of the market as a whole, how different runners interact with each other is paramount. Opening a market and seeing something drifting and jumping on the back of that isn't trading its gambling and that leads to break even results at best. You have to be asking yourself if the drift is likely to continue before getting on board, how you answer that question is dependent on what other runners in the market are doing. Spend some time trying to take in what the other runners are doing in the market and not just having a tunnel vision approach on the runner you're trading.

For me it's like when you were in school and preparing for a test. Did you do just enough so that you would pass the test or did you make a conscious effort to understand the topic. There's a massive difference between the two.
goat68

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm
goat68 wrote:

Nobody ever said there was a simple metric for trading, but reading back on this thread and looking at some of the advice offered makes it sound over simplistic from a technical point of view. I've seen a lot of advice along the lines of "If a runners price comes into 'X' then do 'Y'" or "If near a crossover then do X,Y,Z..." I've seen very little advice talking about what other runners in the market are doing. In my experience and I'm sure its the same for most traders, when I talk about patterns repeating in the market in most cases I'm not talking about patterns on individual runners but rather patterns of the market as a whole, how different runners interact with each other is paramount. Opening a market and seeing something drifting and jumping on the back of that isn't trading its gambling and that leads to break even results at best. You have to be asking yourself if the drift is likely to continue before getting on board, how you answer that question is dependent on what other runners in the market are doing. Spend some time trying to take in what the other runners are doing in the market and not just having a tunnel vision approach on the runner you're trading.

For me it's like when you were in school and preparing for a test. Did you do just enough so that you would pass the test or did you make a conscious effort to understand the topic. There's a massive difference between the two.
I always look at all the main runners
goat68

Trader Pat wrote:
goat68 wrote:

In school I had a teacher...!
Morbius

Trader Pat wrote:
goat68 wrote:

I like how you underlined the word "understand" there because when it comes to understanding, your last post to me showed a distinct lack of it with regards to poker. Even in 2002, poker was never an easy game to play for a living and for the record, I started playing full time as did many people in 2002 but didn't stop full time until 2012 and even then it was live/online 50/50. So comparing me to a "poker dog" is disrespectful to not only me, but in how many people tried and failed to play poker for a living even back then. Poker toughened later on but that's similar to trading with the introduction of PC, makes it harder but not impossible but earnings capacity is affected to a level where other avenues become more profitable. Too many people on here invent things that people haven't said.

OOPS.....wrong person...too many people on here with "Trader" in their names :lol:
Last edited by Morbius on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Silk Run

Morbius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:10 pm
Possibly for the well being of all the beautiful angels that use this platform ....
Trader Pat

goat68 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:26 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
goat68 wrote:

In school I had a teacher...!

Teachers are there to guide students, not to hold their hand and do the work for them. Some students work harder than others even though they have the same teacher, the ones who don't put the effort in can't then complain that the teacher didn't do their job.

Seems to me goat that you're still looking for a shortcut and you're not willing to leave every stone unturned to crack this. I and others have asked you if you were recording your trades and you just ignore the question so I would take that as a no. If you were to do that then things would start to make more sense as you can review your trades back whitout any emotion attached to what you're seeing.
Last edited by Trader Pat on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trader Pat

Morbius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:34 pm
OOPS.....wrong person...too many people on here with "Trader" in their names :lol:
You know I was only yesterday thinking exactly the same thing! :lol:
Morbius

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:40 pm
Morbius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:34 pm
You know I was only yesterday thinking exactly the same thing! :lol:

sorry mate, that reply was for Trader Fred but sod it....I can't be arsed anymore :D
Morbius

The Silk Run wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm
Morbius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:10 pm
Possibly for the well being of all the beautiful angels that use this platform ....

Either that or for the benefit of the trolls who think they can attack with impunity and/or the egos of people who have won a few quid :lol:
Bubace

Trader Pat wrote:
goat68 wrote:

this is how i try and trade, im always looking at the other runners , or ones i think are going to be relevent to the price movement.

but take a couple of races ago, the favourite priced at 1.86, second 7.6 and ther rest between 18 and 1000, im sitting thinking that if this favourite comes in the second is going to come out, that happens and the favourite ends up coming into 1.62, i lay the second when the move starts, only for the second to start coming in as well and nothing else seems to be moving? :? its still all a mystery to me im afraid

Return to “Trading Horse racing”