Enough is enough - time to admit defeat.

The sport of kings.
Trader Pat

goat68 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:26 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm
goat68 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm
This discussion does make me think:
- xtrader16 being at this 5years and still not profitable
- morbius knows tons of theory and still not profitable
- if there was some simple metric(s) that told you which way a market is going to trade everyone would be using it..., Therefore there isn't one!
- everyone says follow a plan, but if you can't define anything tangible that gives you a market indication, then a plan is going to be hard to realize
- so you can't trade using something tangible, therefore you trade on instinct, gut feel, most likely from experience
- if you don't have years of experience to base your instinctive trades on then you're basically guessing...
- Therefore goat is currently guessing :-)

Nobody ever said there was a simple metric for trading, but reading back on this thread and looking at some of the advice offered makes it sound over simplistic from a technical point of view. I've seen a lot of advice along the lines of "If a runners price comes into 'X' then do 'Y'" or "If near a crossover then do X,Y,Z..." I've seen very little advice talking about what other runners in the market are doing. In my experience and I'm sure its the same for most traders, when I talk about patterns repeating in the market in most cases I'm not talking about patterns on individual runners but rather patterns of the market as a whole, how different runners interact with each other is paramount. Opening a market and seeing something drifting and jumping on the back of that isn't trading its gambling and that leads to break even results at best. You have to be asking yourself if the drift is likely to continue before getting on board, how you answer that question is dependent on what other runners in the market are doing. Spend some time trying to take in what the other runners are doing in the market and not just having a tunnel vision approach on the runner you're trading.

For me it's like when you were in school and preparing for a test. Did you do just enough so that you would pass the test or did you make a conscious effort to understand the topic. There's a massive difference between the two.
In school I had a teacher...!

Teachers are there to guide students, not to hold their hand and do the work for them. Some students work harder than others even though they have the same teacher, the ones who don't put the effort in can't then complain that the teacher didn't do their job.

Seems to me goat that you're still looking for a shortcut and you're not willing to leave every stone unturned to crack this. I and others have asked you if you were recording your trades and you just ignore the question so I would take that as a no. If you were to do that then things would start to make more sense as you can review your trades back whitout any emotion attached to what you're seeing.
Last edited by Trader Pat on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trader Pat

Morbius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:34 pm
OOPS.....wrong person...too many people on here with "Trader" in their names :lol:
You know I was only yesterday thinking exactly the same thing! :lol:
Morbius

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:40 pm
Morbius wrote:
OOPS.....wrong person...too many people on here with "Trader" in their names :lol:

sorry mate, that reply was for Trader Fred but sod it....I can't be arsed anymore :D
Morbius

The Silk Run wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm
Morbius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:10 pm
MODS......why have posts disappeared from this thread??
Possibly for the well being of all the beautiful angels that use this platform ....

Either that or for the benefit of the trolls who think they can attack with impunity and/or the egos of people who have won a few quid :lol:
Bubace

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm
goat68 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm
This discussion does make me think:
- xtrader16 being at this 5years and still not profitable
- morbius knows tons of theory and still not profitable
- if there was some simple metric(s) that told you which way a market is going to trade everyone would be using it..., Therefore there isn't one!
- everyone says follow a plan, but if you can't define anything tangible that gives you a market indication, then a plan is going to be hard to realize
- so you can't trade using something tangible, therefore you trade on instinct, gut feel, most likely from experience
- if you don't have years of experience to base your instinctive trades on then you're basically guessing...
- Therefore goat is currently guessing :-)

Nobody ever said there was a simple metric for trading, but reading back on this thread and looking at some of the advice offered makes it sound over simplistic from a technical point of view. I've seen a lot of advice along the lines of "If a runners price comes into 'X' then do 'Y'" or "If near a crossover then do X,Y,Z..." I've seen very little advice talking about what other runners in the market are doing. In my experience and I'm sure its the same for most traders, when I talk about patterns repeating in the market in most cases I'm not talking about patterns on individual runners but rather patterns of the market as a whole, how different runners interact with each other is paramount. Opening a market and seeing something drifting and jumping on the back of that isn't trading its gambling and that leads to break even results at best. You have to be asking yourself if the drift is likely to continue before getting on board, how you answer that question is dependent on what other runners in the market are doing. Spend some time trying to take in what the other runners are doing in the market and not just having a tunnel vision approach on the runner you're trading.

For me it's like when you were in school and preparing for a test. Did you do just enough so that you would pass the test or did you make a conscious effort to understand the topic. There's a massive difference between the two.
this is how i try and trade, im always looking at the other runners , or ones i think are going to be relevent to the price movement.

but take a couple of races ago, the favourite priced at 1.86, second 7.6 and ther rest between 18 and 1000, im sitting thinking that if this favourite comes in the second is going to come out, that happens and the favourite ends up coming into 1.62, i lay the second when the move starts, only for the second to start coming in as well and nothing else seems to be moving? :? its still all a mystery to me im afraid
TraderFred

Morbius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:42 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Morbius wrote:

sorry mate, that reply was for Trader Fred but sod it....I can't be arsed anymore :D
I was only having a bit of fun, Morbius. It was just a little play on the famous “dogs playing poker” painting. Like you say I don’t understand the game at all, though I’m sure it was very difficult back then, and only the sharpest minds could make a living at it. I’d like to apologise if I have offended you, or any of the poker playing dogs from the painting.

I have to say though, I would have expected a top poker champion like yourself to have kept a much cooler head. I didn’t think you would be so easily riled.
jimibt

TraderFred wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm
I have to say though, I would have expected a top poker champion like yourself to have kept a much cooler head. I didn’t think you would be so easily riled.
tho, maybe it's a bluff of a bluff of a bluff... onion layers!! :D
goat68

I'm going to research using timeform in my analysis, maybe that's the secret!
jimibt

goat68 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:31 pm
dang, was looking for a *shoo, off you trot twinkle toes* emoji - BA, any chance of adding one?? :D
sniffer66

Trash talking, looking for the tilt ;)
Last edited by sniffer66 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goat68

jimibt wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:33 pm
goat68 wrote:
dang, was looking for a *shoo, off you trot twinkle toes* emoji - BA, any chance of adding one?? :D
You've lost me? I was being serious
Trader Pat

Bubace wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:50 pm
this is how i try and trade, im always looking at the other runners , or ones i think are going to be relevent to the price movement.

but take a couple of races ago, the favourite priced at 1.86, second 7.6 and ther rest between 18 and 1000, im sitting thinking that if this favourite comes in the second is going to come out, that happens and the favourite ends up coming into 1.62, i lay the second when the move starts, only for the second to start coming in as well and nothing else seems to be moving? :? its still all a mystery to me im afraid
It's an easy mistake to make. When the favourite comes in something will drift but it doesn't mean it will be the 2nd or even 3rd favourite, could be something further down the book. That's why the market overview is so important for seeing what runners are interacting with each other.
Morbius

TraderFred wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm
Morbius wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:42 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

I was only having a bit of fun, Morbius. It was just a little play on the famous “dogs playing poker” painting. Like you say I don’t understand the game at all, though I’m sure it was very difficult back then, and only the sharpest minds could make a living at it. I’d like to apologise if I have offended you, or any of the poker playing dogs from the painting.

I wasn't riled so its OK and no apology needed, I thought you were trolling along with the other guy and that does kind of wind me up a bit when I am on this forum for legitimate reasons to engage with people and learn and if possible to pass on my own knowledge and experience because that's how we escape the 9/5. There are a lot of bad eggs on all forums and I don't know who is who yet.

As for "poker champion" well I had to laugh at that as you clearly don't know much about poker do you :D Calling someone a poker champion is like calling someone a trading champion. Poker is basically split in half between tournament poker which is more marketable for TV and where you see the big prize money and cash games. Well I play cash games so you are largely anonymous unless of course you just happen to have written for numerous poker magazines down the years and been sponsored by several card rooms then you are a little bit more well known :D

As for my choice of poker.....well lets just say that some years ago I invented the term "tournaments for show, cash games for dough" because if you wanted consistent income then you had to play cash games. For traders who think horseracing markets are volatile, they ought to try playing short handed Pot Limit Omaha or Tournament poker for a living :lol:

And that term was mine about cash games for dough because I nicked it from Bobby George who used to say "trebles for show, doubles for dough" but others re-nicked it :lol:

So no.....I am not a poker "champion"......just a very profitable one :)
Bubace

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:37 pm
Bubace wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:50 pm

It's an easy mistake to make. When the favourite comes in something will drift but it doesn't mean it will be the 2nd or even 3rd favourite, could be something further down the book. That's why the market overview is so important for seeing what runners are interacting with each other.
i'll open this as well and give it a go see if it helps

not half a lot to keep an eye on though :D
jimibt

goat68 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 pm
jimibt wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:33 pm
goat68 wrote:
You've lost me? I was being serious
kinda lost myself also (i.e. failed humourous response). BUT, speaking of being lost, this certainly doesn't fail, especially on a friday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43qB9FpfCR8

Return to “Trading Horse racing”