Trading I have a question for any full time trader that has time to reply

The sport of kings.
prestburydreams

Would you say that as a pro swing trader you react to price fluctuations from the general betting public first but then as a secondary result more traders jump on board and ride the wave and as a result traders become the influence for the market until the traders have had their fill which is then corrected by the bookies as the drifting favourite has become so high they can hedge in the exchanges causing the collapse

Or would you say your purely surfing the waves the bookies lay on a plate for you as some of these market moves where horse a is battling for position in the market with horse b are akin to scaling the keyboard of a piano from one end to another and back again and that quick to
Korattt

personally I would say that it’s a case of experience, with that I mean having an idea of what could happen based on what you see on the ladder in order for you to predict a move, for example, has the favourite been backed in during the day?, is there any opposition to the favourite?, are there joint favourites, has the trainer & jockey combo had a number of winners on one particular day?, is the horse showing signs of playing up?, has the commentator mentioned the horse was sweating on the way to post?, just a few scenarios which with experience you can read between the lines (so to speak) to give you an overview as to what might happen on the ladders 👀
Derek27

I've noticed Peter often says "there's money for the favourite" or "the third favourite's weak" but doesn't get overly drawn into why. That's generally the way I play. Unless there's an overt reason for a trend like a jockey running up a sequence, a horse sweating up excessively, a big backer doing a Martingale, etc. I'd just go along with my instinct and experience.
jamesg46

prestburydreams wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:40 pm
Would you say that as a pro swing trader you react to price fluctuations from the general betting public first but then as a secondary result more traders jump on board and ride the wave and as a result traders become the influence for the market until the traders have had their fill which is then corrected by the bookies as the drifting favourite has become so high they can hedge in the exchanges causing the collapse

Or would you say your purely surfing the waves the bookies lay on a plate for you as some of these market moves where horse a is battling for position in the market with horse b are akin to scaling the keyboard of a piano from one end to another and back again and that quick to
I would say that people have more of an effect on price action than bookies do.

Participants actions vary vastly in every market,

Liquidity Providors, Scalpers, Swing Traders, Trend Traders, Value Bettors, Auto System Traders, Punters etc & these all exist on both sides of the book at the same time.... so one person's swing position coming to an end could be a value bettors position starting, one person opening a back scalp could be buying off of someone closing a lay scalp or any mix of the above, all of these seperate interactions cause volatility. Less interactions, less volume = more volatility. Better known races, more interactions, more volume = less volatility.

Ultimately though fluctuations are a product of supply & demand & all of those interactions entwined.

I don't doubt that Bookies play a part but I'd guess that due to charges involved (assumption) that it's more limited than we may think.
Korattt

also volatility, timing & people’s idea of loss aversion is mahoosive

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion
prestburydreams

Thanks for the replies I find racing very contradictory when the market makers are concerned to me punters form very little influence on the book prices as you only get 5/2 on a horse when it's been 2/1 all morning if the bookie says you can have it and the books always geared up to them and their over round to their dough so to me it's seems the bookies control the prices more then the punters Mrs Coates made was it 300 plus or 700 plus million the other year not many punters making that

Return to “Trading Horse racing”