Your thoughts...

The sport of kings.
sprocket501

As a new trader, I was fascinated with the market below which was the 4pm at Kelso. Only three runners and a massive odds-on favourite. I'm not asking what I should do with a market like this, rather what should I be looking for and thinking about? I learn a lot by hearing and understanding people's thought processes. For the record i did make profit on this race by trading on the second favourite but it was touch and go for while.

Thanks.
kelso 405.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazyskier

First impression of the screenie is to B2L scalp the second fav.

That said, I've lost more than I've won when manually trading, and focus fully on auto, so don't read too much into my judgement!

CS
Euler

I guess some of the answer is dependant on whether you are talking about pre-off or in-play?
alexmr2

Just checked my account and I laid at 1.34 then scratched the trade at 1.35. Everyone trades differently but my view at the time was probably to lay at the bottom of the range of the favourite where the volume has built up in hope of a reversal, I would be looking for the 2nd runner to start heading back down to the bottom of its range to help push the favourite up.

I ended up scratching the trade because it didn't work out. I'm not a pro so my entry might not have been ideal but scratching it and moving onto the next race was the right thing to do IMO.

Manual trading is a bit difficult to explain/transfer knowledge, it requires lots of perceptual judgement from your own experience. It's very precise and relies on what you see happening at the time.

e.g. you could read what I just said and then lay another horse at the bottom of the range, only for it to steam in and you hold onto a loss and wonder why it didn't work. It's difficult to predict whether the probability is in favour of going back through the range or continuing and no one can be 100% sure which way it will go
Derek27

sprocket501 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:58 pm
As a new trader, I was fascinated with the market below which was the 4pm at Kelso. Only three runners and a massive odds-on favourite. I'm not asking what I should do with a market like this, rather what should I be looking for and thinking about? I learn a lot by hearing and understanding people's thought processes. For the record i did make profit on this race by trading on the second favourite but it was touch and go for while.

Thanks.

kelso 405.jpg
It's hard to read much from a screenshot. It's how the market is moving, speed, volume matched and volatility that helps draw an opinion.
sprocket501

Derek27 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:43 pm
sprocket501 wrote:

Thanks.

kelso 405.jpg
It's hard to read much from a screenshot. It's how the market is moving, speed, volume matched and volatility that helps draw an opinion.
Which answers my question quite well, thank you.
sprocket501

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:09 pm
First impression of the screenie is to B2L scalp the second fav.

That said, I've lost more than I've won when manually trading, and focus fully on auto, so don't read too much into my judgement!

CS
That's what I ended up doing as in my limited experience, I see very short-priced favourites are more likely to drift slightly when at the bottom of their trading range. I'm happy to be corrected over this if I am wrong.
sprocket501

Euler wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 pm
I guess some of the answer is dependant on whether you are talking about pre-off or in-play?
Pre-off as the clock shows.
sprocket501

alexmr2 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:24 pm
Just checked my account and I laid at 1.34 then scratched the trade at 1.35. Everyone trades differently but my view at the time was probably to lay at the bottom of the range of the favourite where the volume has built up in hope of a reversal, I would be looking for the 2nd runner to start heading back down to the bottom of its range to help push the favourite up.

I ended up scratching the trade because it didn't work out. I'm not a pro so my entry might not have been ideal but scratching it and moving onto the next race was the right thing to do IMO.

Manual trading is a bit difficult to explain/transfer knowledge, it requires lots of perceptual judgement from your own experience. It's very precise and relies on what you see happening at the time.

e.g. you could read what I just said and then lay another horse at the bottom of the range, only for it to steam in and you hold onto a loss and wonder why it didn't work. It's difficult to predict whether the probability is in favour of going back through the range or continuing and no one can be 100% sure which way it will go
Thank you. I haven't even begun to think about automation yet. I will have to check that out.
Realrocknrolla

Lump on Dolphin Square to win by 30 lengths or more 🤣😉
Emmson

I've traded 20 races today and this was not one of them, trappy little sod of a race -trying to pick the bottom of the fave.
Tetras

sprocket501 wrote:

Thanks.

kelso 405.jpg
I'd be thinking about the risk, primarily. If you back or lay, a 3 runner like this is liable to go anywhere. The fav swings a tail the wrong way and you've lost 20 quid.
ShaunWhite

Tetras wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:42 am
The fav swings a tail the wrong way and you've lost 20 quid.
Or you've won £20.

Like you said it's about risk, and anything is tradable so long as you keep your stakes proportionate to the activity. Go big when things are moving slowly, keep it small when it's lively. Speaking of lively, I captured this one today as an example of how fun the Aus horses can be :D
Screenshot_6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:17 am
Tetras wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:42 am
The fav swings a tail the wrong way and you've lost 20 quid.
Or you've won £20.

Like you said it's about risk, and anything is tradable so long as you keep your stakes proportionate to the activity. Go big when things are moving slowly, keep it small when it's lively. Speaking of lively, I captured this one today as an example of how fun the Aus horses can be :D Screenshot_6.png
That's harness FTR
ShaunWhite

Anbell wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 am
That's harness FTR
FTR?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”