Taking SP... back or lay?

The sport of kings.
Brovashift

Just wondering...

When using the make market on the one-click screen, and lets say it gets to Post time and you still have an open closing trade and so have to take the SP...

Is the SP given to the unmatched bet, regardless of whether that's an open back or an open lay?

Thanks
Dallas

Yes, but you should be greening up rather than relying on SP as that could be anything and give you an unbalanced book which still needs greening in play to even out your P/L

SP should only be used in this way as a back up ie, if your internet goes down, or there's a problem with Betfair and you can't exit your position
Brovashift

Dallas wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 pm
Yes, but you should be greening up rather than relying on SP as that could be anything and give you an unbalanced book which still needs greening in play to even out your P/L

SP should only be used in this way as a back up ie, if your internet goes down, or there's a problem with Betfair and you can't exit your position
Thanks Dallas,

If I just use SP for emergencies like loss of connection to the exchange, what is the recommended procedure for closing an unmatched trade going into the race? Do I just cancel the open position and green up, or should I close the position at the next available price, and then green up?

I was thinking if I know the SP then maybe I could open a position at a more favorable price that might have more chance of being profitable, should I need to use the SP going past post time. No guarantee of anything of course lol.
Dallas

Brovashift wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:35 pm
Dallas wrote:

Thanks Dallas,

If I just use SP for emergencies like loss of connection to the exchange, what is the recommended procedure for closing an unmatched trade going into the race? Do I just cancel the open position and green up, or should I close the position at the next available price, and then green up?

I was thinking if I know the SP then maybe I could open a position at a more favorable price that might have more chance of being profitable, should I need to use the SP going past post time. No guarantee of anything of course lol.
Easiest way is just to trigger a green up rule near to the start time, you can use a Guardian rule in the background to do this or a safety servant, there are two ready-made examples you can use below (and edit if required), ie, you could also add another green up rule to trigger a few seconds after the market goes in-play as an extra safety precaution
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=11361
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=15199

If you think you can beat the SP and open a position just before the off to do that then that's fine, the best way would be to to just place a closing bet to take SP (not a greening bet), then green it up in-play.

But I wouldn't try doing that if using the make market button, keep the strategy's separate. ie, dont use the make market button to grab a tick then tell yourself because its gone against you you can use the SP to get a profit
Brovashift

Dallas wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:53 pm
Brovashift wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:35 pm
Dallas wrote:

Thanks Dallas,

Easiest way is just to trigger a green up rule near to the start time, you can use a Guardian rule in the background to do this or a safety servant, there are two ready-made examples you can use below (and edit if required), ie, you could also add another green up rule to trigger a few seconds after the market goes in-play as an extra safety precaution
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=11361
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=15199

If you think you can beat the SP and open a position just before the off to do that then that's fine, the best way would be to to just place a closing bet to take SP (not a greening bet), then green it up in-play.

But I wouldn't try doing that if using the make market button, keep the strategy's separate. ie, dont use the make market button to grab a tick then tell yourself because its gone against you you can use the SP to get a profit
OK, Im with you Dallas....

I am using BA Trader at the moment, so don't think I have the automation included do I?
Im just starting out Sports trading and so was thinking of advancing onto BA Pro once I've got my head around doing things manually, so I have a better understanding when it comes to automating things.

Also awaiting the arrival of the new updated BA Trader course (£39.99). Hoping it will have better structure to the learning process, i.e. more linear progression. The videos are all very good in the Academy, but does feel a bit like getting pieces of a jigsaw puzzle without the box with the picture on lol. :lol:

Thanks again.
Rob

Return to “Trading Horse racing”