Royal Ascot 2021

The sport of kings.
Naffman

Did OK but quite glad its come to end really, the week almost reinforces the decline of the exchange
Dallas

Much the same here, found it far harder than previous years and along the lines of what Cheltenham was a few months ago
Euler

Ditto
Euler

Total matched over the whole week was just short of £48m. I've kept really detailed records since 2009 and that's the lowest turnover number I've seen. I have some data from before that but not LFL, so will have a nose at that early next week. Dissapointing.
alexmr2

Glad I'm not the only one who struggled this week but it's always concerning to see what the future holds if experienced traders are noticing a decline
gazuty

My week at Royal Ascot by race.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

Would be more of a suprise if the numbers weren't down given the wider economic pressures.....and a lot of the recreational betting money has obvioulsy gone on the football too which has a wider appeal than horses. Hardly a typical year and hardly a typical Ascot week so perhaps not a meeting to judge the future of the exchange on.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:33 pm
Total matched over the whole week was just short of £48m. I've kept really detailed records since 2009 and that's the lowest turnover number I've seen. I have some data from before that but not LFL, so will have a nose at that early next week. Dissapointing.
What about Euro 2020?
How are those figures comparing?

It feels very tradeable to me
Euler

Euros are down as well by similar amounts and the Golf. Can't comment on other sports, but I can guess!!

I am chatting to others in the industry and some large betting groups / syndicates. It hasn't gone un-noticed. I'll follow up again with Betfair on Monday.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:50 pm
Euros are down as well by similar amounts and the Golf. Can't comment on other sports, but I can guess!!

I am chatting to others in the industry and some large betting groups / syndicates. It hasn't gone un-noticed. I'll follow up again with Betfair on Monday.
I'm guessing some of the bigger/influential players may have been caught up in the withdrawal/re-deposit - source of funds trap.

Either that, the main losing punters have been restricted/limited for further deposits. I suppose in that instance, the protections work the way they should.
Euler

Speaking to other big players over the weekend, all of them were complaining about volumes. I guess the theory at the moment is that it's an affordability problem or Betfair are diverting the volume elsewhere. But when I approached Betfair prior to Ascot they just shrugged their shoulders.
Euler

Betfair's Barry Orr reported a surprising addition to the races with the highest turnover this year. Last year's top three of the Gold Cup, Queen Anne and Prince of Wales's were first, third and fourth on this year's list, but the Hampton Court Stakes, won on Thursday by Mohaafeth, gatecrashed in at number two.

Orr said: "Exchange volumes were very strong and seven races each day was a big hit with our customers. Our book came out about even after you take into account the generosity factor."
You have to laugh at how completely out of touch this comment is.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:25 am

Orr said: "Our book came out about even after you take into account the generosity factor."

The generosity factor?

I've heard of the Krypton Factor....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

Euler wrote:
Betfair's Barry Orr reported a surprising addition to the races with the highest turnover this year. Last year's top three of the Gold Cup, Queen Anne and Prince of Wales's were first, third and fourth on this year's list, but the Hampton Court Stakes, won on Thursday by Mohaafeth, gatecrashed in at number two.

Orr said: "Exchange volumes were very strong and seven races each day was a big hit with our customers. Our book came out about even after you take into account the generosity factor."
Thats hilarious
Naffman

Dallas wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:50 pm
Euler wrote:

Thats hilarious
"Exchange volumes were very strong" i.e. exchange volumes definitely weren't up despite an added race every day

Return to “Trading Horse racing”