Terry Ramsden interview

The sport of kings.
Andriy

Probably of interest to the slightly older generation here that were into horses in the early 80s and know of him, Ramsden is on the Simon Nott interview this week, starting with his early days in the city in the 70s and how he made his millions and got into horseracing:

https://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/betting ... y-ramsden/
wearthefoxhat

Andriy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:34 am
Probably of interest to the slightly older generation here that were into horses in the early 80s and know of him, Ramsden is on the Simon Nott interview this week, starting with his early days in the city in the 70s and how he made his millions and got into horseracing:

https://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/betting ... y-ramsden/
Good shout.

Interesting character for sure.
Euler

I spoke to Simon earlier this week and he suggested this interview would be interesting. Bit of a character is Terry.
Emmson

A worthwhile watch but clearly Tel was not gonna discuss his epic downfall, not an interview but a presentation.
Derek27

I vaguely remember him. Was he the owner that had a major fallout with a sports journalist in the 80's who claimed he wasn't paying his trainers' bills, and retaliated by pulling out all his horses from British stables?
LeTiss

Fantastic character. I remember him owning Walsall FC too.

I read an article about him not so long ago. He was pretty pissed off at all his old friends ditching him on his release from prison, and was especially angry at being ignored by his wife and son, Jake. When the jockey club cleared him to own horses again, he bought a 2 year-old and named it Jake the Snake......after his son who had rejected him
ANGELS15

Euler wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:45 am
I spoke to Simon earlier this week and he suggested this interview would be interesting. Bit of a character is Terry.
Wasn't there a 'scandal' in 1995 involving a horse he owned called Top Cees which ran in the 1995 'Swaffam' handcap? There was a court case about it.
Derek27

ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:38 pm
Euler wrote:
Wasn't there a 'scandal' in 1995 involving a horse he owned called Top Cees which ran in the 1995 'Swaffam' handcap? There was a court case about it.
Didn't know he was the owner but that was the one Kieren Fallon was told "wasn't supposed to win". :)
Euler

No disrespect to Mr Ramsden, but he does look like the sort of character that could make and lose a lot!
wearthefoxhat

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:15 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Euler wrote:
Didn't know he was the owner but that was the one Kieren Fallon was told "wasn't supposed to win". :)
Top Cees ran in the Sangster colours, T.Ramsden knew Sangster well, so maybe there was some sort of collab.
Derek27

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:54 pm
Derek27 wrote:
ANGELS15 wrote:

Top Cees ran in the Sangster colours, T.Ramsden knew Sangster well, so maybe there was some sort of collab.
If I remember correctly the case was a libel case and Kieren Fallon and Derek Thompson who made opposite statements were forced to stand by their statements and call each other liars. Forgetting about Thompson's lies when he says "...is coming under strong pressure" or "...still has a fighting chance", I know who I'd believe. :)
ANGELS15

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
ANGELS15 wrote:

I believe Robert Sangster became owner/part owner after Top Cees won the Chester Cup in the same year '95. Apparently at the time of the Chester Cup win Alan Leonard was actually the owner. There was negative publicity when the horse won the chester cup some people on course even booed. Alan Leonard decided to sell a 50% share in Top Cees and that's when Robert Sangster bought in. As you say the horse did then run in Sangster silks so not sure if Sangster increased his ownership to 100% or it was agreed to use Sangster colours. To confuse things further Timeform states Top Cees owners as Charlton Bloodstock Ltd.
wearthefoxhat

ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:31 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I believe Robert Sangster became owner/part owner after Top Cees won the Chester Cup in the same year '95. Apparently at the time of the Chester Cup win Alan Leonard was actually the owner. There was negative publicity when the horse won the chester cup some people on course even booed. Alan Leonard decided to sell a 50% share in Top Cees and that's when Robert Sangster bought in. As you say the horse did then run in Sangster silks so not sure if Sangster increased his ownership to 100% or it was agreed to use Sangster colours. To confuse things further Timeform states Top Cees owners as Charlton Bloodstock Ltd.
Nice one.

Just watched both the races mentioned on YT. Commentator said Top Cees has 2 ways of running......

Fond memories of Jack/Lynda Ramsden gambles and Reg Akehurst back in the day.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”