The sport of kings.
Derek27

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:54 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:15 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:38 pm

Wasn't there a 'scandal' in 1995 involving a horse he owned called Top Cees which ran in the 1995 'Swaffam' handcap? There was a court case about it.
Didn't know he was the owner but that was the one Kieren Fallon was told "wasn't supposed to win". :)
Top Cees ran in the Sangster colours, T.Ramsden knew Sangster well, so maybe there was some sort of collab.
If I remember correctly the case was a libel case and Kieren Fallon and Derek Thompson who made opposite statements were forced to stand by their statements and call each other liars. Forgetting about Thompson's lies when he says "...is coming under strong pressure" or "...still has a fighting chance", I know who I'd believe. :)
ANGELS15

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:38 pm

Wasn't there a 'scandal' in 1995 involving a horse he owned called Top Cees which ran in the 1995 'Swaffam' handcap? There was a court case about it.
Didn't know he was the owner but that was the one Kieren Fallon was told "wasn't supposed to win". :)
Top Cees ran in the Sangster colours, T.Ramsden knew Sangster well, so maybe there was some sort of collab.
I believe Robert Sangster became owner/part owner after Top Cees won the Chester Cup in the same year '95. Apparently at the time of the Chester Cup win Alan Leonard was actually the owner. There was negative publicity when the horse won the chester cup some people on course even booed. Alan Leonard decided to sell a 50% share in Top Cees and that's when Robert Sangster bought in. As you say the horse did then run in Sangster silks so not sure if Sangster increased his ownership to 100% or it was agreed to use Sangster colours. To confuse things further Timeform states Top Cees owners as Charlton Bloodstock Ltd.
wearthefoxhat

ANGELS15 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:31 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I believe Robert Sangster became owner/part owner after Top Cees won the Chester Cup in the same year '95. Apparently at the time of the Chester Cup win Alan Leonard was actually the owner. There was negative publicity when the horse won the chester cup some people on course even booed. Alan Leonard decided to sell a 50% share in Top Cees and that's when Robert Sangster bought in. As you say the horse did then run in Sangster silks so not sure if Sangster increased his ownership to 100% or it was agreed to use Sangster colours. To confuse things further Timeform states Top Cees owners as Charlton Bloodstock Ltd.
Nice one.

Just watched both the races mentioned on YT. Commentator said Top Cees has 2 ways of running......

Fond memories of Jack/Lynda Ramsden gambles and Reg Akehurst back in the day.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”