Yet another sore Ar*e!

The sport of kings.
bennyboy351

Hello all,
Just a quick query if I may?

Having just been 'taken from behind, without lubricant' - that is, having just been trading a race inplay, when Betfair's video feed went down towards the end of a race - may I ask, do any of you have experience with this happening and, if so, how often?

I have never had an issue with being 'screwed' fairly - LOL - but the crap video feeds provided by Betfair seem to be taking the p*ss! HOW do they get away with it? For example, "they are the only show in town?"

I haven't bothered to contact Betfair to complain, because I know I'll only get the standard answer. Any comments - positive or negative - will be much appreciated. :-)

I'm not seeking compensation - after all, trading is gambling in another form - but your opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
George.
Derek27

bennyboy351 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:40 pm
Hello all,

Having just been 'taken from behind, without lubricant' - that is, having just been trading a race inplay, when Betfair's video feed went down towards the end of a race - may I ask, do any of you have experience with this happening and, if so, how often?

I have never had an issue with being 'screwed' fairly - LOL - but the crap video feeds provided by Betfair seem to be taking the p*ss! HOW do they get away with it? For example, "they are the only show in town?"

I haven't bothered to contact Betfair to complain, because I know I'll only get the standard answer. Any comments - positive or negative - will be much appreciated. :-)

I'm not seeking compensation - after all, trading is gambling in another form - but your opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
George.
I've never traded horse racing in-play but if I did, I wouldn't use a strategy that relies 100% on pics or at least have a backup plan. Pics have never been that reliable. I've given up complaining about suspended markets as they happen too often it's become part of the game. But if you complain about the video this is your likely reply:

Although the current score, time elapsed, video and other data provided on this site is sourced from "live" feeds provided by third parties, you should be aware that this data may be subject to a time delay and/or be inaccurate. Please also be aware that other Betfair customers may have access to data that is faster and/or more accurate than the data shown on the Betfair site. If you rely on this data to place bets, you do so entirely at your own risk. Betfair provides this data AS IS with no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of such data and accepts no responsibility for any loss (direct or indirect) suffered by you as a result of your reliance on it.
Tetras

It's always particular meetings, or days that I find the feed is unreliable. If I remember right, that was the only time all day the feed cut out? Though, I didn't trade all the races so maybe that was just me.
bennyboy351

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:23 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:40 pm
Hello all,

Cheers
George.
I've never traded horse racing in-play but if I did, I wouldn't use a strategy that relies 100% on pics or at least have a backup plan. Pics have never been that reliable. I've given up complaining about suspended markets as they happen too often it's become part of the game. But if you complain about the video this is your likely reply:

Although the current score, time elapsed, video and other data provided on this site is sourced from "live" feeds provided by third parties, you should be aware that this data may be subject to a time delay and/or be inaccurate. Please also be aware that other Betfair customers may have access to data that is faster and/or more accurate than the data shown on the Betfair site. If you rely on this data to place bets, you do so entirely at your own risk. Betfair provides this data AS IS with no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of such data and accepts no responsibility for any loss (direct or indirect) suffered by you as a result of your reliance on it.
Thanks for the reply Derek. Yes, that is the standard 'get-out' that Betfair use - I've been steered to it a few times in the past when I dared to question their questionable attitude to their "live" feeds. I'd put money on the fact that BF are paying the absolute minimum they can get away with for the "live" feeds and so the companies that supply said feeds aren't too bothered if their service isn't top-notch! Or am I just an old cynic/conspiritulationist? (Is that last one even a word? If not, I claim first 'dibs' on it if it becomes one! ;-)
bennyboy351

Tetras wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:00 am
It's always particular meetings, or days that I find the feed is unreliable. If I remember right, that was the only time all day the feed cut out? Though, I didn't trade all the races so maybe that was just me.
Thanks for the reply Tetras. Yes, you're probably right - and people wonder why I don't buy a Lottery ticket!

Thanks and all the best.
Kai

If feed gets cut then you probably need to cut your position since it depends on the feed, don't think you'd have a good case to pin that on Betfair.

With all the drone traders about not sure it's good to be overly reliant on feeds, fast market compared to preoff so gotta react fast to keep up with it.
wearthefoxhat

In reponse to the OP...that's probably why they're known as Buttfair....(without the lube)
rik

Just even your position maybe? Whats the big deal, silly post
Kai

rik wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:01 pm
Might sound a bit blunt but can't get a more straight answer than that OP, I think the tone of it is spot on, it's surprising to see this type of thread.

Just cut the position, ideally without hitting the panic button and getting a shit exit price, if large position can scale out with smaller stakes for smoother exit, near the end trading range will get bigger. If you proceed with your trade or whatever without the feed it basically means you've decided to take on that risk so can hardly complain to Betfair or anyone if it goes tits up. If big value in your opening price, might as well let it run, depends what you're doing. Anyway, nothing wrong with safety first when something unexpected happens, can worry about what happened later.

I know I would rather have a small FOMO regret than a big loss regret later. But difficult habit to train, not out of fear but out of common sense, it's only one irrelevant market.
Kai

bennyboy351 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:55 pm
I'd put money on the fact that BF are paying the absolute minimum they can get away with for the "live" feeds and so the companies that supply said feeds aren't too bothered if their service isn't top-notch! Or am I just an old cynic/conspiritulationist? (Is that last one even a word? If not, I claim first 'dibs' on it if it becomes one! ;-)
To maybe offer a different perspective, the fact that Betfair has subpar level of service overall doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing either, for example if you invest in higher quality coverage of tradable live events then the crappier Betfair is the bigger your advantage etc, since it was never a level playing field to begin with.

Regarding mindset, probably best to accept Betfair's imperfections and try to move past them, otherwise might get tempted to use them as a convenient excuse :) After all, free service usually comes with a caveat.

And as you know, the inplay racing market is quick and if you get very unlucky at the wrong time there's not much you can do as that's part of the market structure, near the end you can't really afford the luxury of (over)thinking what to do with your position like in most other markets, so best to frame things beforehand so that you can always try to react accordingly.
bennyboy351

rik wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:01 pm
Thanks for your input. :-)
bennyboy351

Kai wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:24 pm
bennyboy351 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:55 pm
I'd put money on the fact that BF are paying the absolute minimum they can get away with for the "live" feeds and so the companies that supply said feeds aren't too bothered if their service isn't top-notch! Or am I just an old cynic/conspiritulationist? (Is that last one even a word? If not, I claim first 'dibs' on it if it becomes one! ;-)
To maybe offer a different perspective, the fact that Betfair has subpar level of service overall doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing either, for example if you invest in higher quality coverage of tradable live events then the crappier Betfair is the bigger your advantage etc, since it was never a level playing field to begin with.

Regarding mindset, probably best to accept Betfair's imperfections and try to move past them, otherwise might get tempted to use them as a convenient excuse :) After all, free service usually comes with a caveat.

And as you know, the inplay racing market is quick and if you get very unlucky at the wrong time there's not much you can do as that's part of the market structure, near the end you can't really afford the luxury of (over)thinking what to do with your position like in most other markets, so best to frame things beforehand so that you can always try to react accordingly.
Thanks for your input. I take on board what you are saying. But I still feel that Betfair - given that it too has its own traders - is exploiting its position AND so often taking the p*ss! ;-)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”