Irish liquidity

The sport of kings.
stueytrader

Why exactly is it that liquidity on Irish racing is so much lower than standard UK liquidity/volume?

Even rubbish races like sellers on the AW in UK racing do much better than your average Irish racing.

Is there a fundamental reason they are so much lower on BF?
to75ne

english, welsh and scottish punters in general tend to know about british horses, trainers, courses, etc more then they do about irish horses, trainers, courses, etc. and vice a versa.

there far more british punters than irish punters and each group will tend to back what they know, hence far less irish punters leads to smaller markets.
stueytrader

to75ne wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:04 pm
english, welsh and scottish punters in general tend to know about british horses, trainers, courses, etc more then they do about irish horses, trainers, courses, etc. and vice a versa.

there far more british punters than irish punters and each group will tend to back what they know, hence far less irish punters leads to smaller markets.
I get that to some extent, though not fully.

There's as much info around (form, racing post, videos etc etc) for the Irish racing as there is for UK racing. So, no fundamental reason UK punters have less knowledge or engagement with Irish racing.
to75ne

if you know nothing about polish racing would you get involved? there plenty info about it if you look around.
stueytrader

Not quite the same comparison though, is it?

All the info for Irish racing is just as fully covered, and exactly the same places as UK racing - that's not true of Polish (or any other country) racing is it?
to75ne

alright what about yank racing last time i looked most were piss weak yet there is an abundance of info; the the aussie racing particularly the harness and trotting racing, tons of info but piss weak markets, would you get involved. same as the french jumps tons of info.
stueytrader

to75ne wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:12 pm
alright what about yank racing last time i looked most were piss weak yet there is an abundance of info; the the aussie racing particularly the harness and trotting racing, tons of info but piss weak markets, would you get involved. same as the french jumps tons of info.
Those are useful comparisons, but again there are bigger differences - both of those sets of info come from different places (e.g. not sporting life or racing post for fuller info) and any available info is qualitatively different, usually lesser unless you search very hard.

In all the above respects Irish racing is actually identical to any UK (England, Scot, Wales) racing. So, there must be some other difference about Irish racing than the info involved.

Course, I realise there is a difference (hence my question), but it isn't based on the usual info sources presented to the punters. A bet at Hamilton racing or Kilbeggan racing has exactly the same sources and depth of info presented. But, we know which would be used more.

I don't live in either Scotland or Ireland, but I bet at both places because the sources are there for both. I don't bet on French or US because I can't be bothered to search around various sites for additional info.
to75ne

how comes in england a crap race at wolverhampton on a dull a saturday afterday afternoon money piles onto some class 6 seller whos favorite is ridden by a noddy jockey, trained by two bob trainer, at the same the same there is listed race at the curragh due to go off whos fav is at top of it rating, 3 staight previous wins, top jockey, top trainer, yet only a trickle of british money compared to wolves seller is bet on the curragh race

is because punters are creatures of habit who believe they know what they are betting on. form experts etc - thank the lord they dont.

the same in ireland, punters are habitual and bet on what they think they know
Archery1969

I thought it was because Irish racing is more bent. :roll:
stueytrader

to75ne wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:55 pm

is because punters are creatures of habit who believe they know what they are betting on. form experts etc - thank the lord they dont.
That is the irony, if that is the main explanation - because in reality most punters have precisely 0 real knowledge edge over a race taking place 300 miles away in a Scottish track either.

I'm still a little puzzled that punters would think they 'know' about racing at Hamilton when they live in London...
stueytrader

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:01 pm
That perception was part of my thought about this question, though was waiting for someone else to mention it. :)
ANGELS15

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:36 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
That perception was part of my thought about this question, though was waiting for someone else to mention it. :)
I've heard punters in shops complaining that racing is bent, in particular Irish racing. One old boy called it a 'racket'. I must say in my own personal experience I absolutely love it for the opportunties it presents. I find that I am more likely to get a run for my money.

Also in non handicap events I am more likely to get a better price about a runner in Ireland than an equivalent horse in a UK race. Time and again I've spotted horses in these types of races offered at odds against when if they were the UK equivalent would be odds on. Just the other day I traded something that I thought if it was in the UK would be around 6/1 but it went off at 14/1 and won. I do realise though everyone's experience is different.
to75ne

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:35 pm
to75ne wrote:

That is the irony, if that is the main explanation - because in reality most punters have precisely 0 real knowledge edge over a race taking place 300 miles away in a Scottish track either.

I'm still a little puzzled that punters would think they 'know' about racing at Hamilton when they live in London...
Hamilton being in mainland Britain is under the auspices of the BHA, and british racing is given much greater expose in uk betting shops and their tv ads, the national press, national tv then irish racing (quite rightly) which is under the auspices of racing ireland (including the 3 northern irish tracks).
If you go into a british betting shop (I assume they are still the same) the walls are plastered with the relevant pages from the racing post display the days race cards etc, and the football particularly the premier league. Stuck in a dark corner somewhere you will find the page for irish racing (usually none on Mondays and most Tuesdays a single meeting most days except Saturday), which as less coverage than cricket, darts and greyhound racing.
British punters have a very little exposure to irish racing (both codes). They are bombarded with british racing and being creatures of habit and not very discerning irish racing does not attract large volumes from the british.
Ireland as a very small population compared to Britain, all the punting money gets split with the various bookies and tiny bit on exchanges, there is not enough punters to go round to create decent volumes on all irish races.
to75ne

Archery1969 wrote:
why do you think irish are more corrupt than the british on what basis?

corruption in racing(race fixing etc) usually occurs in lower grade racing with smaller prize money and less popular tracks. its easier to fix a race at wolverhamton than royal ascot - less eyes looking.
Derek27

stueytrader wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:35 pm
to75ne wrote:

It doesn't make any difference whether a horse runs at Exeter or Perth, form coverage in all publications is equal. Nobody goes to their local racetrack and only cares about horses running there. The main reason I ignored the low-grade racing in Ireland when I was a bettor is that there's way to much of it over here!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”