Irish liquidity

The sport of kings.
stueytrader

to75ne wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:27 pm
stueytrader wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:24 pm
But there's less Irish racing overall, I get that - so obviously a bit less coverage in terms of racing pages on display.

Or did you mean something beyond that in terms of what is 'presented'?
not a bit less, there are acers of pages on british racing, usually one for irish racing.
So, you'd say it is racing press coverage that makes the biggest difference then?
to75ne

yes plus punters tend to be creatures of habit, they stick with what they know.

the british punters mostly mugs will tend to back horses in the uk (barring northern ireland) cause thats where they know - its there own dirt/land epecially if their fav jockery is riding a horse whos saddle cloth number is their birthday, or the owner comes from their own town, or some bloke told them it was gonna win cause he knows someone the yard and so and so on.

the irish punters mostly mugs will tend to back horses in ireland cause thats where they know - its there own dirt/land epecially if their fav jockery is riding a horse whos saddle cloth number is their birthday, or the owner comes from their own town, or some bloke told them it was gonna win cause he knows someone the yard and so and so on.
Trader Pat

Speaking as an Irishman I have to say I'm really disappointed in this thread

When I saw the title I thought it was an homage to Guinness
to75ne

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:46 pm

:) speaking of which nearly time for a couple.
Trader Pat

to75ne wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:48 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

:) speaking of which nearly time for a couple.
Its always Guinness time :)
stueytrader

That's one Irish product that doesn't seem to get neglected by UK punters! :lol:
Euler

Trader Pat wrote:

:lol:
Euler

I think the lack of liquidity is just due to it being a smaller market.

I used to account manage UK and Irish retailers and they were very different in terms of economic size. So I guess this just transplants to racing as well.
stueytrader

Euler wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:17 pm
I think the lack of liquidity is just due to it being a smaller market.

I used to account manage UK and Irish retailers and they were very different in terms of economic size. So I guess this just transplants to racing as well.
That still sounds slightly tautological though? i.e. 'it's a smaller market, because it's a smaller market..'.

The real puzzle is why exactly is it a smaller market, though I can see the suggested 'familiarity/press' type points to some extent. I agree in part with those explanations, though still not fully (as it's only a guess in any case, we don't know why punters chose to avoid it more often).

I don't think it's the same as retail, as they clearly have limits in their potential market 'reach'. There's not the same limits on market 'reach' on places like Betfair (as in all customers can access them just as much as any other racing market).

As I've had further thoughts, I think it may well be a mix of 'familiarity' points suggested, with some other preconceptions about the type of racing, that makes some sections of the punters avoid using Irish racing on BF.
wearthefoxhat

With the Irish racing, it could be more a point of treading carefully, as a lot of the form isn't that easy to translate when dealing with the class of the race. ie: Class 1 to 7 in the UK or handicaps, Class 45-65, 50-80 etc.. in Ireland)

I recall Matt Chapman and the now retired Handicapper Phil Smith discussing how the handicapping is looked at in each country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92Muc6sO6Y

Essentially, when the Irish Handicapping was discussed, Phil Smith would dis their efforts and always add to the Irish Handicap Rating when a horse was due to run in the UK. It boiled down to when Gordon Elliot used to raid the big UK handicaps off the Irish mark and the UK handicapper eventually caught on.

So, the point I'm trying to make is, Pre-off, it appears no one wants to get caught out, so may prefer to wait 5 minutes before the off before getting involved.
stueytrader

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:33 am
With the Irish racing, it could be more a point of treading carefully, as a lot of the form isn't that easy to translate when dealing with the class of the race. ie: Class 1 to 7 in the UK or handicaps, Class 45-65, 50-80 etc.. in Ireland)

I recall Matt Chapman and the now retired Handicapper Phil Smith discussing how the handicapping is looked at in each country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92Muc6sO6Y

Essentially, when the Irish Handicapping was discussed, Phil Smith would dis their efforts and always add to the Irish Handicap Rating when a horse was due to run in the UK. It boiled down to when Gordon Elliot used to raid the big UK handicaps off the Irish mark and the UK handicapper eventually caught on.

So, the point I'm trying to make is, Pre-off, it appears no one wants to get caught out, so may prefer to wait 5 minutes before the off before getting involved.
Some very good points about the detailed nature of the racing involved, yes.

The handicapping issue is a particularly key issue potentially.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”