A Newbie Guide/Help Required. Where Do I Start?

The sport of kings.
Derek27

Hammyali wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:05 pm
Well this has certainly gotten a little odd.

Ok, some clarification for the trader guy. I'm not sure where you read that I knew nothing about football or horse racing, trading them I know not alot, the actual sports thenselves I could certainly hold my own in a conversation. I used to play football for my town and quite a few other teams, and followed football for years. As for horse racing I have been a regular on Timeform and Racing post for about 10 months since I started matched betting, so I know enough with regards to form, going, C&D, Jockey, Trainer etc to get by.

This goes with many other sports as being a sports fan I have a basic knowledge of the rules and competitors of most, some better than others. What I DON'T know is how to utilise Bet Angel to trade them, hence why I am here. I'm not looking to be able to retire in 5 years, I just want something I can enjoy and maybe make a few pounds along the way, and if I do well, then it's a bonus.
For horse racing, I would say 10 months is about novice stage - not even enough to remember last year's Cheltenham festival at the start of the festival.

As a matter of interest, why did you need Timeform for matched betting?
Kai

Hammyali wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:15 pm
I have decided the time has come to actually stick to one thing and try to get half decent at it, and given my work and family life I thought Horse Racing was a sensible place to go as it's available to me in the evenings and when I have spare time in the day.
You still have to narrow it down further, there are 2 separate markets with preoff and inplay, and a myriad of approaches for each that could work. But people rarely share what works and what doesn't. Steep learning curve overall but can be fun if you don't forget to enjoy the journey.
Derek27

Somebody once gave me and demonstrated his secret of getting free phone calls in telephone boxes. It involved making a tool out of a wire coat-hanger. It had to be of a precise length (with a loop handle to stop it from going in too far), and it had to be inserted into the coin return flat in a precise location at a precise angle. He have me his secret but however much I tried I couldn't master it. :)
xtrader16

For horse racing, I would say 10 months is about novice stage - not even enough to remember last year's Cheltenham festival at the start of the festival.

10 Months - and the rest. I cant work them out after 5 years. I've got the knowedge of what is going on but applying it consistently is another matter.
Derek27

xtrader16 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:50 pm

10 Months - and the rest. I cant work them out after 5 years. I've got the knowedge of what is going on but applying it consistently is another matter.
It probably to me about 10 years to have a good understanding of a horses movement, running style and an understanding of pace, though I guess some people will have learned a lot quicker.
ODPaul82

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:47 pm
Somebody once gave me and demonstrated his secret of getting free phone calls in telephone boxes. It involved making a tool out of a wire coat-hanger. It had to be of a precise length (with a loop handle to stop it from going in too far), and it had to be inserted into the coin return flat in a precise location at a precise angle. He have me his secret but however much I tried I couldn't master it. :)
There used to be blue-boxing and black-boxing back about 20 years ago.
You could tap into neighbours calls or use their line by cutting off the phone part with cable and attaching two crocodile clips then slicing open a neighbours line and attaching the same colour coded cables with the crocodile clips.

My teenage years were a bit on the geeky side with doing that and learning assembler and C
Derek27

ODPaul82 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:48 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:47 pm
There used to be blue-boxing and black-boxing back about 20 years ago.
You could tap into neighbours calls or use their line by cutting off the phone part with cable and attaching two crocodile clips then slicing open a neighbours line and attaching the same colour coded cables with the crocodile clips.

My teenage years were a bit on the geeky side with doing that and learning assembler and C
I spent my teenage years learning Z80 and 6502 assembly and setting fire to park benches, but never would I sink so low as to tapping into neighbours calls. Then again, maybe I would have if I had any idea how to do it. :)
ODPaul82

It's not like in the movies where your neighbours are spies, pretty boring tbh listening in.
Using their phone line to call up the ladies numbers left in phone boxes as a 13 year old was great though. Until the neighbours picked up the phone....

Return to “Trading Horse racing”