A Newbie Guide/Help Required. Where Do I Start?

The sport of kings.
wearthefoxhat

If you're not a fan of videos, maybe a thread recommendation could help get you started.

Here are some that might help get the creative juices going. (JollyGreen)

All 8 parts worth working through.

viewforum.php?f=2
Kai

Hammyali wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:15 pm
I have fiddled about with Bet Angel for a couple of months but only bits and bobs, and nothing specific.
You can do many things with Bet Angel, compared to other software, it would take far too long to write about all the differences

Derek27

Kai wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:47 pm
Hammyali wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:15 pm
I have fiddled about with Bet Angel for a couple of months but only bits and bobs, and nothing specific.
You can do many things with Bet Angel, compared to other software, it would take far too long to write about all the differences

:lol: :lol:
Kai

One for Dallas, the unsung hero :D
Hammyali

Well, firstly can I say a huge thank you to everyone who has commented and offered advice. It's quite rare in a forum environment to find actual supportive common sense replies as usually there is the odd sarcastic comment from someone who thinks they know everything and look at you as an inferior nobody.

Secondly, I'd like to clarify my post by saying at no point was I asking for someone to give me one to one 'Make me rich' training and mentoring, I just wanted exactly what you all gave me, which was useful advice and somewhere to start. Having read all the comments I can give you a bit more info on exactly what I want from all this. I have been into sport in general since I was young, and competed in lots of them, some to higher standards than others. So, my knowledge of sport in general is pretty good, and I can give you a rundown of rules and players for most mainstream sport. That said, I have not one particular thing I prefer over another, but the ones I would watch would tend to be some tennis, snooker, cricket. Snooker would be the one I would know most about as I played 8 Ball Pool to county/national level so I played for practice.

As I know general information and not in depth specifics my trading would be analytical based and not sport specific. I'm not interested in becoming an expert in horse racing or football, but I have an analytical mind and I am good at solving problems, so this is where my trading strong points would be.

I obviously still need to start from scratch and learn exactly how to put my analytical problem solving mind to use, so that would be advice I would need. And the above answers another question, trading NOT gambling, as I have no interest in it.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions about the system (after my fiddling around I have some already!) but I will post these on the newbie forum for some help.

I hope that answers some questions and gives everyone a bit more info on what I want to do.

Hamish
Derek27

Hammyali wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:47 pm
Well, firstly can I say a huge thank you to everyone who has commented and offered advice. It's quite rare in a forum environment to find actual supportive common sense replies as usually there is the odd sarcastic comment from someone who thinks they know everything and look at you as an inferior nobody.

Secondly, I'd like to clarify my post by saying at no point was I asking for someone to give me one to one 'Make me rich' training and mentoring, I just wanted exactly what you all gave me, which was useful advice and somewhere to start. Having read all the comments I can give you a bit more info on exactly what I want from all this. I have been into sport in general since I was young, and competed in lots of them, some to higher standards than others. So, my knowledge of sport in general is pretty good, and I can give you a rundown of rules and players for most mainstream sport. That said, I have not one particular thing I prefer over another, but the ones I would watch would tend to be some tennis, snooker, cricket. Snooker would be the one I would know most about as I played 8 Ball Pool to county/national level so I played for practice.

As I know general information and not in depth specifics my trading would be analytical based and not sport specific. I'm not interested in becoming an expert in horse racing or football, but I have an analytical mind and I am good at solving problems, so this is where my trading strong points would be.

I obviously still need to start from scratch and learn exactly how to put my analytical problem solving mind to use, so that would be advice I would need. And the above answers another question, trading NOT gambling, as I have no interest in it.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions about the system (after my fiddling around I have some already!) but I will post these on the newbie forum for some help.

I hope that answers some questions and gives everyone a bit more info on what I want to do.

Hamish
You said you've been fiddling about with BA in your previous post. How far have you got? Have you familiarised yourself with placing bets on the ladder, closing trade, greening up, etc?
Hammyali

Ok, this is what I have done so far. I have gone through quite a bit of the training about the system and the overall screen and what everything does, but I found it didn't help with explaining things to a complete beginner like me. I decided to try and use the system for dutching, as it was very straightforward and didn't require too much technical expertise to put on. I would find the horses I wanted to bet on, go to 'Dutching', select them, and wait and see what happened. In reality that is gambling not traiding, but I had no knowledge of trading at the time, and I have no idea if you can trade and dutch at the same time.

I have also used the'One Click' screen to place single bets on about 5 or 6 horse races in-play. This was tiny stakes just to see what happened and how it worked, but I just got confused as it wasn't doing what I expected. I've done matched betting for a while so I am very familiar on back to lay etc and how the betting sites work, odds work (to a basic degree) but that's about it. The different screens (ladder for instance) just looks confusing and I have no idea how that works. I thought about using betfair straight from the app for the horse racing in-play, but the delay was very long, and with it being quicker in Bet Angel I thought that would be better for that.

It's about as basic as that at the moment. I'm not sure which screen is the best one to use for this, although the one click was ok. I just need to figure out how to make it all work as I would like. The Greening Up thing, when I was doing the horse racing in play, I was purely backing then laying at different odds to create profit (tiny as a test) which I managed to do by laying at smaller odds and when selecting the green button the amount of profit or loss would show against all the horses in the Trade amount column, But I got confused as when I cash out in betfair, the amount that is shown on the screen you lock, and this is what you get. But when I hit the 'green' button the amounts in the trade amount column kept fluctuating and weren't staying at the 'cash out' amount. Obviously I have done something wrong, but no idea what. I really need something like an explanitory post on how to do certain things from a beginners perspective, which I'm sure exists somewhere.

I have also learnt some football strategies, but the had mixed success, as the games are so unpredictable.

That's about it.
Derek27

Hammyali wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:09 pm
Ok, this is what I have done so far. I have gone through quite a bit of the training about the system and the overall screen and what everything does, but I found it didn't help with explaining things to a complete beginner like me. I decided to try and use the system for dutching, as it was very straightforward and didn't require too much technical expertise to put on. I would find the horses I wanted to bet on, go to 'Dutching', select them, and wait and see what happened. In reality that is gambling not traiding, but I had no knowledge of trading at the time, and I have no idea if you can trade and dutch at the same time.

I have also used the'One Click' screen to place single bets on about 5 or 6 horse races in-play. This was tiny stakes just to see what happened and how it worked, but I just got confused as it wasn't doing what I expected. I've done matched betting for a while so I am very familiar on back to lay etc and how the betting sites work, odds work (to a basic degree) but that's about it. The different screens (ladder for instance) just looks confusing and I have no idea how that works. I thought about using betfair straight from the app for the horse racing in-play, but the delay was very long, and with it being quicker in Bet Angel I thought that would be better for that.

It's about as basic as that at the moment. I'm not sure which screen is the best one to use for this, although the one click was ok. I just need to figure out how to make it all work as I would like. The Greening Up thing, when I was doing the horse racing in play, I was purely backing then laying at different odds to create profit (tiny as a test) which I managed to do by laying at smaller odds and when selecting the green button the amount of profit or loss would show against all the horses in the Trade amount column, But I got confused as when I cash out in betfair, the amount that is shown on the screen you lock, and this is what you get. But when I hit the 'green' button the amounts in the trade amount column kept fluctuating and weren't staying at the 'cash out' amount. Obviously I have done something wrong, but no idea what. I really need something like an explanitory post on how to do certain things from a beginners perspective, which I'm sure exists somewhere.

I have also learnt some football strategies, but the had mixed success, as the games are so unpredictable.

That's about it.
Have you been through the BA user guide? I realise it's a lot of reading but you only need to read the intro, one-click and ladder chapters and leave the rest for later.

The ladder screen may be the easiest place to start. You place back and lay bets by clicking on the appropriate column. I guess what's confusing you is the greenup column/button.
Capture2.PNG
When that button's off, the greenup column tells you the value of free bets (i.e. £10 back at 10.0; £10 lay at 5.0 = £50 if horse wins).

When the button's on the column gives you the greenup figure (£10 back at 10.0; £20 lay at 5.0 = £10 profit regardless of outcome). In either case you simply click on a figure to place a bet to close or green-up.

Why don't you like videos? I get really irritated when I want a simple piece of information about Windows 10 or to find a setting and all I can find are videos showing me how to click on the start button and navigate to wherever. But if you want to know how to cook a complex recipe you can't beat a video. The BA Acadamy has a comprehensive course of videos that cater for complete beginners, more advanced traders and a variety of sports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
decomez6

Hammyali wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:09 pm
. I've done matched betting for a while so I am very familiar on back to lay.I have also learnt some football strategies, but the had mixed success, as the games are so unpredictable.

matched betting is synonymous to certainty- where as- trading and betting is inherently unpredictable. this is good for business otherwise it would become too easy so much so that anyone can do it , this will result to a diminishing returns on your investment and not worth you time.

I have gone through quite a bit of the training about the system and the overall screen and what everything does, but I found it didn't help with explaining things to a complete beginner like me. .
STOP !
you want to be taken seriously ?
entry level bare minimum.......
watch this video and the description has a list of 7 more videos

https://youtu.be/fJnHOK7cjb8

give some feedback
Anbell

decomez6 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:56 am

give some feedback
goat68 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:20 pm
asdf
I'm pinging this for GOAT
decomez6

Anbell wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:13 am
:) :D

i think he is gone through it , its somewhere hidden in the thread.
goat68

Anbell wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:13 am
decomez6 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:56 am

give some feedback
goat68 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:20 pm
asdf
thank you
xtrader16

Haven’t bothered to read the thread just the headline/title.

My advice to you would be don’t bother getting involved with Sports Betting as a trading option and go straight into the big leagues of Currency, Commodity and Equity trading. Sports Betting just isn’t worth doing. It is highly frustrating to start off and it is limited to within a small pool of money. Trading real financial markets is unlimited and scalable to an infinite level. The time you spend on trying to 'sus-out' why the ladders move the way they do could be spent on learning real graphs and is a longer-term better option. Saying that, if you are going to learn to trade Sports Betting Bet Angel is the only software you should be using and there is 80% of the information you are going to need on here.
Derek27

xtrader16 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:51 pm
Haven’t bothered to read the thread just the headline/title.

My advice to you would be don’t bother getting involved with Sports Betting as a trading option and go straight into the big leagues of Currency, Commodity and Equity trading. Sports Betting just isn’t worth doing. It is highly frustrating to start off and it is limited to within a small pool of money. Trading real financial markets is unlimited and scalable to an infinite level. The time you spend on trying to 'sus-out' why the ladders move the way they do could be spent on learning real graphs and is a longer-term better option. Saying that, if you are going to learn to trade Sports Betting Bet Angel is the only software you should be using and there is 80% of the information you are going to need on here.
That's quite bizarre advice to give somebody expressing an interest in sports trading on a sports trading platform, where we're all sports trading!
xtrader16

Bit weird why you cant delete your own posts.
Last edited by xtrader16 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”